14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Am i the only one who hates the glamour spell mechanic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dante miraglia
Argentina
flag msg tools
So i have every expansion and the amount of glamour spells seem a bit overwhelming, i don't particularly think the glamour spells are bad, but i think there are way too many, and they don't really add to the fantasy of being a spellcaster, they just seem like lore-based conditions.
We made a house rule and separated the spell stack into glamour and non-glamour spells, and when you have to take a generic spell you can choose from wich stack you take it, that seemed to solve the annoyance, did anyone feel like that when playing? I'm curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often feel cheated when I draw a glamour spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Most of them feel like a penalty, especially if a non-spellcaster gets one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanic is fine. It's the spells they made for it that mostly suck. I think they figured that out with Signs of Carcosa; those glamour spells aren't nearly as bad.

If you hate gaining one, especially with a mid-level-lore character, consider house-ruling in that you can discard a spell gained if you pass a will test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I may bring that up next time I play and see how it goes over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
One think I actually like about most glamours is that they don't really penalize non-casters that much.

The lowest result on the back of the card usually allows you to discard the glamour without penalty.

It's the middle option that usually costs you sanity without allowing a discard.
The glamours tend to be safe for experience casters, not too bad for those who have no interest in magic at all, and a bit of a danger to those who dabble in the mythos. This feels really thematic to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudonym100 wrote:
One think I actually like about most glamours is that they don't really penalize non-casters that much.

The lowest result on the back of the card usually allows you to discard the glamour without penalty.

It's the middle option that usually costs you sanity without allowing a discard.
The glamours tend to be safe for experience casters, not too bad for those who have no interest in magic at all, and a bit of a danger to those who dabble in the mythos. This feels really thematic to me.

Interesting way to look at it. I do remember often dreading getting 1 success, because that led to something along the lines of -1 Sanity whereas 0 success gave you the chance to discard it. Sometimes you get "lucky" with your low lore characters even when you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamour spells are my favourite spells. There are a couple of bad ones but usually they are really good, such as emcees move, +1 to all skills, extra healing. Better to get them early though and plan around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Pseudonym100 wrote:

Interesting way to look at it. I do remember often dreading getting 1 success, because that led to something along the lines of -1 Sanity whereas 0 success gave you the chance to discard it. Sometimes you get "lucky" with your low lore characters even when you don't want to.

We've occasionally used focus to reroll successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, usually the zero successes allow you to discard which is fine on non-spellcasters. Agree though that if you're sitting on two or three lore it's probably going to suck most of the time unless you get lucky. I haven't house-ruled them out yet because I haven't noticed a significant impact on our game win percentage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate M
msg tools
It
s never really bothered us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do glamours work, thematically?

With other spells, I imagine that an investigator stumbles across a parchment with the words written on it, or finds the spell engraved on an ancient bone, etc. And when they want to use the spell, they read the words out loud to get it to work (or not).

But a glamour seems like it's a spell that has been cast on the investigator by someone (or something). They are always "on", so it doesn't seem like the investigator did anything -- more like it was something that was done to them.

When a card causes one of my investigators to gain a spell and it turns out to be a glamour, I always picture a mysterious figure jumping out at them, casting the glamour, and then running away. Sometimes, given the choice, some investigators might not want the glamour. But too bad! Gaining a Spell is now not always a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought of them as a buff spell, to use an mmo term. You cast it on yourself and it lingers for a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
I always thought of them as a buff spell, to use an mmo term. You cast it on yourself and it lingers for a time.

But then it seems like you would get to choose when/if you want to cast it.

If that were true, I would expect Glamours to be worded more like, "Test Lore. If you don't succeed, discard this Spell. If you succeed, keep this Spell in front of you..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.