Hide
12 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Please explain the Brig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
I've only played 3 games of BSG so far and based on a game last night and some comments in reviews for the expansions (people mentioning going in and out of jail multiple times in 1 game), I'm wondering if my group has been playing the Brig incorrectly.

Here's what happened:
5p game, 1 pilot was already an outed Cylon, Tigh (who was both Admiral and President) used a Quorum card to put me (Rosalin) in the Brig and effectively outed himself as the 2nd Cylon. Okay, good move, I've got no problem with that. The issue came with getting me out of the Brig. The remaining human players were me (only playing 1 card), Apollo, and Chief Tyrol. No one had many yellow or purple cards, meanwhile the 2 Cylons had plenty of greens to counter escapes. First turn of mine, I tried to get out and we failed the check badly. Second turn of mine, no one had cards, so I XOed Tyrol for my turn. Third turn we had a crisis we had to beat that consumed all our yellow/purples again. Fourth turn, I finally got out of the Brig. That was 3.75 entire game rounds we had no player to contribute a good amount of greens/purples/yellows for crisis cards and had to autofail virtually all of them. We lost soon after.

So the questions:
1. Can I only try to escape on my turn or can someone XO me to escape?

2. Is this really a normal skill check where everyone, including the Cylons can put in cards?

3. How do humans ever get anyone out if there's more than 1 human player in the Brig at the same time?
The player playing Tigh realized after his turn that had he gotten someone to XO him, he could have Brigged 2 of us at once, 1 with the Quorum and 1 with the Cylon reveal power. 2 of us in the Brig only contributing 1 skill card to checks vs 2 Cylons putting in 1 card each would have make it virtually impossible for either of us to ever get out.

4. Doesn't having the political and military players being Cylons/Brigged effectively kill the human chances of passing any skill checks?
I feel like humans could limp along passably without dedicated repairs or without a viper pilot, but losing the primary skill check passers is a problem.

5. I could still play actions from the Brig, right? Such as using XOs on other people?

I mean, I get the idea that it should be hard to get out and there's a reason why Cylons usually just reveal once Brigged. But, getting a human in there seems absolutely devastating if we played that correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
1. Can I only try to escape on my turn or can someone XO me to escape?

A1. you can attempt the check to escape when someone gives you an executive order.

Quote:
2. Is this really a normal skill check where everyone, including the Cylons can put in cards?

A2. Yes it is.

Quote:
3. How do humans ever get anyone out if there's more than 1 human player in the Brig at the same time?
The player playing Tigh realized after his turn that had he gotten someone to XO him, he could have Brigged 2 of us at once, 1 with the Quorum and 1 with the Cylon reveal power. 2 of us in the Brig only contributing 1 skill card to checks vs 2 Cylons putting in 1 card each would have make it virtually impossible for either of us to ever get out.

A3. It is difficult if most of the humans are in the brig. Maybe destiny will be favorable. Also there is a Quorum card that allows the President to remove someone from the Brig.

Quote:
4. Doesn't having the political and military players being Cylons/Brigged effectively kill the human chances of passing any skill checks?
I feel like humans could limp along passably without dedicated repairs or without a viper pilot, but losing the primary skill check passers is a problem.

A4. Yes it is. Try to avoid having multiple humans in the Brig. Get the first one out before another goes in.

Quote:
5. I could still play actions from the Brig, right? Such as using XOs on other people?

A5. Yes. The only restrictions is that you cannot move and you can play only one card in a skill check. Remember if you are in the Brig you do not draw a crisis card on your turn.

Quote:
I mean, I get the idea that it should be hard to get out and there's a reason why Cylons usually just reveal once Brigged. But, getting a human in there seems absolutely devastating if we played that correctly.

Sometimes the game and Cylon just conspire against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
Thanks, good to know we did it correctly, but hurts to realize we were basically doomed at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
What character was the other Cylon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
Boomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He said the other cylons was one of the pilots, but didn't specify.

Doomed. No. Not remotely. Its only a 7 point skill check. You only need to reach 5 in order for Declare Emergency to make it a win.

Someone can play Scientific Research. Now, Blue, Yellow and Purple are all good colors and Destiny is more likely than not to put yet another point or 2 in your favor.

The revealed cylon can only put one card in, and he only draws 2 a round. You can put in 1, but draw 5 a round. Just save 1 good card and you can probably overpower his card. But if he is saving a big one to keep you in the brig...good. Him spending it on you probably saved a key crisis from failing.

Make your escape attempt (via XO) at a point where the cylons have to commit before most of the players do. If they pile on, then humans pass and that's great to empty the cylons' hands. THEN try to escape again with their hands drained.

But if they don't commit, then the humans do pile on and get you out in one try.

Or invesigative commitee to ensure you're released easily.

The great thing is that you know both of the cylons and who you can trust. Only make one escape attempt and do it only when the people you trust say that they have what you need.

One human can be skilled enough to lie and say, "Stop worrying, I have enough to get you out no matter how much they spike it." Then when the cylons say, "fine then. We pass," your team puts in just enough to cover destiny.

Until the moment that you're set to break out... being in the brig for a turn (or 3) isn't such a show stopper anyway. You had XO's which is a reasonable action choice anyway.

But in the end, its only a 7 point check. If team human can't pass that more often than not, humanity is much bigger issues than you being in the brig.

(And yes, there's corner cases where you have the exact worst team to pass that exact test, but that, by definition, is the exception, not the rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as #3, I think the phrase "virtually impossible" is very overstated.
Sucks, yes. Nigh impossible, no. The cylons can only put in 2 against. Your brigged folks can put in 2 in favor. The 3rd person only needs to put in 5 points worth...

It might be worth it to spend character abilities, special cards, ect. to get one person out, so that its that much easier to then get the last person out.

What is MUCH MUCH harder than the situation you describe is being in the brig when no cylon has revealed, or worse, isn't remotely suspected. Odds are you'll be left to rot for a few turns until your accumulated actions sing out the praise of your innocence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get a crisis of you are in the brig, so you save a lot of cards that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think targeting Tigh with an Admiral's Quarters check would have probably been best.

But, turn order is the one variable that is OFTEN overlooked when it comes to managing the brig. You should really make attempts to take advantage of the order in which players put in skill checks. If Cylons are early in the turn order and dump in cards, forego the check.

In this game, instead of getting players out of the brig, you should have tried getting Tigh in. He is completely defenseless from an AQ check.

In a really close skill check, you have Chief's OPG to be a big difference maker.. All those leadership cards hurting? Use his OPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
Thanks for the hints, we didn't think about turn order as we weren't sure if we had to keep waiting until it came around to my turn again to even attempt the escape. We did Brig Tigh before attempting to get me out. Maybe we just went in to that situation with too few cards. The Chief kept saying he couldn't even do half the check, so figuring that the Cylons canceled the other 2 of us, we still couldn't even get the 5 without a favorable destiny draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the base game revolves around the brig mechanic more than any other version of the game, it's incredibly important to posture.

You want to be extremely conservative with your cards so that when you face a fight for control of the ship, you come at it with everything you got. Or, you posture that you're not worth even going up against: don't underestimate the intimidation factor a full hand of cards has on your fellow crew members.

Chief indicating that he had a weak hand of cards is information that should have not been made public. Don't underestimate the intimidation factor multiple cards can have on other players.

Base game is such a beauty; you've discovered what makes this version of the game better than any other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:

You won't need Repairs until you need them. No way to know ahead of time. With a surplus of blue, you can at least play Scientific Research to make them positive for any skill check so that they're not "deadweight", or have to rely on the few skill checks that do take blue.

Speaking of which, Galen only draws 1 yellow, no purple, so that's why SR is quite nice for him. Everyone else always draws at least 1 yellow, and/or 1 purple, with at least 2 cards between those colors. Sometimes they're low value, which does suck. Sometimes, you have bigger fish to fry, but that's how the game rolls. A judgment call says it's more important to pass a different skill check then getting somebody out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.