Hide
6 Posts

Via Nebula» Forums » General

Subject: Catan but with less luck/more strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
My wife is not a gamer, but loves Settlers of Catan. My son (9) is also really enjoying Settlers of Catan. Catan is one of the few games my wife will willingly play without a lot of convincing, she really enjoys it.

I have heard one review explain Via Nebula as "Catan with less luck", and after watching some videos it seems similar.

However, for those of you who have played Via Nebula and Catan, would you say it "scratches a similar itch"?

I am looking for a game to replace Catan, but that still focuses on resource collection, building, etc.

Does Via Nebula fit the bill?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can, but this is more about route building and delivery. Try showing them the Dice Tower review and let them say if they are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Baert
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Via Nebula and Catan both use hexagonal tiles. But in my opinion that's about the only thing they share.

But if you're looking for a game to replace Catan, why replace it with something similar? Via Nebula is an excellent choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
Via Nebula has these things in common with Settlers of Catan:

- Fairly easy to understand
- Fairly quick to set up
- Fairly quick to play
- Hexagonal tiles
- A reasonable balance of luck vs skill

I think characterising Via Nebula as "Catan with less luck" is very misleading. I would characterise it as Brass lite, with an emphasis on lite.

What games does your wife dislike playing? That might help most with the question "Does Via Nebula fit the bill?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
The routes you build in Via Nebula are not private like the connections in Catan and there is no dice luck or negotiation involved so they are not all similar. But quite easy to get into

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Thanks everyone!

I think sometimes, as more "serious" gamers, we forget how games look to people who don't play games.

I sat down with my wife and watched a video of Via Nebula being played last night then asked her what she thought.

Her summary: "watching videos of board games is really boring but it looks kind of like Catan. Collect resources, use them to build things, build roads with those hexes. I would give it a try"

So, in her eyes similar enough to Catan that we are going to purchase Via Nebula instead of Catan (we are borrowing a friend's copy right now).

She also has a bit of a mean streak once playing games, so I think the shared resources and ability to mess with people a bit will put a smile on her face.

Thanks for all the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.