Support:

Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PACG is well known for having game mechanics and terminology that many other generic fantasy adventure games -- as well as the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game -- don't, so I'm going to encourage you to almost do what I did. Sure beats flipping through the rulebook looking for an answer.

1. Play the tabletop game solo with one or two characters, Merseil Merisiel Merieseil that elf chick (thief) and Kyra (cleric). Merseil is easier to play, although note that you can't automatically reshuffle your discard pile into your draw pile without a card or other ability. Thankfully, Kyra has such an ability (Heal), as well as the Cure spell. Play the game as best you can, and get the terminology down (eg. Recharge, Reveal, Banish, Discard, etc.).

2. Now, get the app. IMO, The app helps you with the order you play, but doesn't have much handholding. You will want the manual around to understand the terminology. Search the internet for questions about the app and boardgame. Keep the tabletop character cards around as reference as well. The app gives you two free characters: Merseil and Kyra.

Since the app takes a short amount of time to play -- there's no setup or cleanup -- you can easily get a few games in to learn the rules of the game. While the app has a tutorial, you may want to watch enough of a video to learn the interface to start playing the game. (If you prefer to sit through a tabletop PACG video, sure, go for it.)

ps. WARNING: APP WORDS AHEAD. If you're on the iPad, click on the Game Center and make sure you're logged into the Game Center. Then start the Pathfinder app and log into the app.

pps. MOAR APP WORDS AHEAD: Once you understand how the Daily Challenge works and unlock the Quest mode, try the Legendary difficulty level sooner than later to knock out the Daily Challenges and get that bonus gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the cards.. read the manual..

and yet.

still fail to learn the name of your character

Merisiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully, I don't play "Age of Sigmar" or I'd never hear the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just note, the app requires that you try to acquire every boon you encounter, but the card game does not. In the card game, you can choose not to try to acquire a boon. This probably matters more in the higher adventures.

Also note, that app is correct in that you cannot choose to autofail a check. That's true in the card game too. If a check is mandatory, you have to attempt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My phone is memory limited, so I just made the decision to delete the app to make room for another game. I really enjoy playing PACG, both on the table and on my phone, but it's been so long since the release of the last adventure path that even with 6 days of daily gold left, I've grown so bored that it had to go. If I hear that AP#4 is ever released, I'll reinstall it, but Questing again and again, even with the daily challenges, is not fun. Especially since they also have not fixed the bug which prevents EXP upgrades if you lose the adventure. At least when you didn't get EXP unless winning you weren't missing out on level-up rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.