Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Reward for winning individual scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KEith Brown
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Played for the first time yesterday and was a little surprised that the winner of the scenario didn't seem to get anything extra besides getting to select the next scenario. Did I miss something? Winning the scenario seems to not really matter. If this is the case who won the missions don't matter, all that matters is how much gold you got and maybe a quest item or two and that is all?

Why was i fighting so hard to "win" when really all i should have done was do the one quest that gives me an item as a reward and then just kill monsters for gold and let someone else "win"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't get the item reward for winning you should in theory have completed the objective that gives you a title... Unless you are like my friends and I and missed the part where you MUST complete 1 purple (player vs the game) quest to win. We missed that and thought you could win by just killing other guild members.

When you get to the 4-5 levels and the scenarios start to link up, titles become very obviously important. There are 2 scenarios where, if you are the Guardian of the Gate, you get to select which momsters respawn at which spawn tile and which are out of the game. I had this title in one campaign and would spawn them all back by my opponant's starting areas, leaving mine free and clear.

That's just a benefit of 1 title in the game. Selecting the next scenario means you can either choose one you want to try for the title, choose one that does NOT benefit opponants who have the title, or choose one that DOES benefit you for having it. Plus some of the gear is really cool (such as the tome in the University Plaza) so you may want to select it based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KEith Brown
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Titles and rewards are from specific quests in a scenario though not for being the winner. And titles don't seems amazing if all they do is help you win other scenarios if my conclusion is winning them is irrelevant.

Take Imperial Assault for example, if you win the scenario you get rewards and more money = more powerful. If you win a scenario in Arcadia Quest you get nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
lorywindrunner wrote:
Titles and rewards are from specific quests in a scenario though not for being the winner. And titles don't seems amazing if all they do is help you win other scenarios if my conclusion is winning them is irrelevant.

Take Imperial Assault for example, if you win the scenario you get rewards and more money = more powerful. If you win a scenario in Arcadia Quest you get nothing.

You're thinking about this completely wrong.

If you win, you did a PvE quest. That means you either got a reward card already (which are limited) or you get a title AND the ability to choose the next scenario. So you're guaranteed to get a scenario where your title helps you.

If you just win the title, but not the scenario, then the winning player will deny you access to your title.

In other words, all the things that you need to go through to win a scenario, ARE the rewards by themselves. You also needed to go through monsters so you have gold at your disposal or you wiped out other players and give them curses.

I have never in my life with all the times that I have played this game with various groups and players have ever seen anyone win a scenario and yet somehow fall behind other players or not be in a great position moving on.

A player could, for example, drop the winning scenario as an option and just kite other players. No PvE quests = no winning. He'll get gold and pass out curses. But he won't be as strong as the other players. He'll get less items (no quest rewards) and won't have the advantages of the titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:
You're thinking about this completely wrong.

If you win, you did a PvE quest. That means you either got a reward card already (which are limited) or you get a title AND the ability to choose the next scenario. So you're guaranteed to get a scenario where your title helps you.

This is not quite correct, if we want to be precise.
Only in about half of the scenarios winning equals at least having a title or a reward card. For the other half, you can win and get no title or reward: that's because only the first player to complete the quest gets the title, but other players can still complete the quest.

Also, you said that you are guaranteed to get a scenario where your title helps you if you win. This is true only when choosing scenario #4 or #5 in the campaign. Since these are the scenarios in the inner circle, titles from the outer circle are beneficial here. Choosing scenario #2 or #3 doesn't leverage your title, because you are in the outer circle. And titles earned in the inner circle are guaranteed to work anyway, because they work in the final scenario which cannot be chosen.
And because each title from outer circle works in 2 out of 4 inner circle scenarios and 2 of them needed to be played, you still have good chances of using your title at least once in the inner circle, because it might be picked by another player.

---

However, Keith, although I understand the point of your observation, it is quite theoretical and has little value in this game, in my opinion.
See, this game is quite chaotic. I believe the game designers decided to not give a specific bonus to the winner of the scenario because in the greatest majority of the times, if you do well in a scenario you win it and viceversa. Or as Tomer put it:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
I have never in my life with all the times that I have played this game with various groups and players have ever seen anyone win a scenario and yet somehow fall behind other players or not be in a great position moving on.

Regarding this:
lorywindrunner wrote:
Why was i fighting so hard to "win" when really all i should have done was do the one quest that gives me an item as a reward and then just kill monsters for gold and let someone else "win"?

It's not straight forward. Monsters fight back and that can be dangerous. Generally attacking weakened enemy heroes is better, because a) you get the same amount of gold, b) they do not fight back (apart from spike), c) they get a death token, which will make them less strong in the next scenario. So by doing that you get the PVP quests anyway.
Also, going for the reward card in my experience is the hardest guest, so it's very likely that if you focus on it completely despite the obstacles, another player might get the other guest and end the scenario quickly, so you don't get your reward.
Finally, although it's a small detail, being the first to complete a quest gives you 1 coin: so there's a race to finish any possible quest by all guilds.

In general, a flexible and opportunistic strategy works best in this game. That means of course not going for the victory if appropriate, but it happens rarely according to my experience.

P.S.
All of the above is valid as long as we are talking about campaign. If you play in episodic mode, then keep in mind that winning the scenario gives you 5 extra coins, and the winner is the guild with the most coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
I have just remembered another thing: choosing the next scenario has another advantage other than being able to use your titles.
Here's an example from a recent game:
A player had to choose the next scenario but he had no titles to exploit. However he had the Orc Beater (+1 die attack against Goblins and Orcs), so he chose a scenario with the highest proportion of Goblins and Orcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at this question from another perspective can be enlightening. Why isn't there more of a bonus for winning a scenario? From what I can tell, one of the core design decisions of the game is balancing the runaway leader problem.

If someone has won the scenario, then most likely they are doing well in it overall or at least are not the worst off of the 4 players. If there was an additional reward to this player, then as you progress through the campaign, there would be a stronger inclination toward a runaway leader problem.

Maybe a small bonus would still be beneficial though(2-3 bonus coins?), as it pushes players to end the scenario rather than farm it for additional coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking the next scenario is a good enough reason for me to want to win (aside from my competitive nature). But you are also guaranteed an extra coin for winning it (you get one coin for each completed quest, and you will be the only one that completed 3). As was mentioned before, you almost always get a reward card and/or title, too.

I am not sure what else you would want as a reward to keep the game fair. I have played other games with campaigns, and most people "check out" half way through, because one person wins early and just snowballs the rest of the campaign to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Bert
Poland
flag msg tools
Did anyone miss that first player to finish the quest get additional coin? Also after scenario ended you receive 1 coin for each of your finished missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.