Subject: Hero Realms vs Star Realms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello :-)

I play Star Realms since some days and I really like it.
At first I wasn't a fan of the setting but the art is really good and I love the mechanics.
I already downloaded all the additional content.

(2 years ago I played for some time Ascension with some of its expansions and I like games like this)

I play Star Realms a lot and I really like the mechanics and different factions but I thought the game within a fantasy setting would be even greater because I love LotR, Warhammer Fantasy and so on.

Yesterday I found this gem ^___^

For those of you which played Star Realms and the PnP-version of Hero Realms, which one do you like more?

I am not so much interested to hear opinions about the art (I saw some previews) but which factions are better designed, which game is better balanced and so on?

What are the differences so far regarding the base game?
(I know hero/campaign/boss packs exist)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
Hello :-)

I play Star Realms since some days and I really like it.
At first I wasn't a fan of the setting but the art is really good and I love the mechanics.
I already downloaded all the additional content.

(2 years ago I played for some time Ascension with some of its expansions and I like games like this)

I play Star Realms a lot and I really like the mechanics and different factions but I thought the game within a fantasy setting would be even greater because I love LotR, Warhammer Fantasy and so on.

Yesterday I found this gem ^___^

For those of you which played Star Realms and the PnP-version of Hero Realms, which one do you like more?

I am not so much interested to hear opinions about the art (I saw some previews) but which factions are better designed, which game is better balanced and so on?

What are the differences so far regarding the base game?
(I know hero/campaign/boss packs exist)

I haven't yet played the PnP so I cannot say which one I like best.

First: did you play Star Realms: Colony Wars?

Because Hero Realms is closer to that game, relying more heavily on bases.

Some players have posted their thoughts about playing Hero Realms and about the factions in this forum.

The bases reliance seem to be the major difference from Hero Realms. Otherwise it is kind of a reskin of Star Realms so you should like the game.

The starter deck is different though, as you have 7 Gold cards (1 buying power), one Gem card (2 buying power), one Dagger card (1 power) and one Short Sword card (2 power). So the games escalates more quickly. This just means that you have access to power cards earlier, but the game doesn't seem to be shorter than your average Star Realms. I don't know how being unlucky feels, though, this time.

There seems to be less an emphasis on drawing cards, too.

As for the art, I personally don't like it and am close to hating it so I can't help you on that It resembles Epic, but female character are less sexualized this time for the most part. The frames are really different from one faction to another and look really good, though. I love them. But you can see most of that here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/hero-realms-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played

- Ascension including some of the first expansions
- Star Realms with all its additional content (digital version), so no colony wars
- Cthulhu Realms

I read here some posts of people about their first experience playing the PnP-version but not all of the comments compared it with Star Realms so I wanted to start this thread^^

I already read most of the articles @ the kickstarter page, the rulebook, saw the previews and so on but there are not a lot cards displayed^^

Thank you for your comment :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little bit concerned about the balance of the game.

I am a late backer and therefore I have no access to the Print and Play version right now but if I look at this preview: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/hero-realms-...

Then if I compare the Elven Curse with an equivalent card of the base set from Strar Realms the cards in Hero Realms seem stronger. Your starting hand is also stronger then in Star Realms, maybe the devs tried to make this game faster.

http://www.starrealms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CardsWB...
(I know the Frigate has an additional ability if you scrap it, the Elven Curse misses such an ability but it is still much stronger)

Do you think each faction is "balanced"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If Hero Realms is faster, I'll be really disappointed as Star Realms is almost over too fast. Given certain preview cards, it appears it will be, unless there are cards that equally let you heal/shield as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

If Hero Realms is faster, I'll be really disappointed as Star Realms is almost over too fast. Given certain preview cards, it appears it will be, unless there are cards that equally let you heal/shield as well.

I asked the question during the campaign because this worried me also. I've been answered that the game lasts as long as Star Realms. The decks become more powerful faster, but they both do (in 2 player). So you have two extremely powerful decks going at each other, making it the same game lenghth as Star Realms (more money, more combat, but also more health is gained from the cards) where you just have two powerful decks going at each other.

You should still like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Švec
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
JYoder wrote:

I asked the question during the campaign because this worried me also. I've been answered that the game lasts as long as Star Realms. The decks become more powerful faster, but they both do (in 2 player). So you have two extremely powerful decks going at each other, making it the same game lenghth as Star Realms (more money, more combat, but also more health is gained from the cards) where you just have two powerful decks going at each other.

You should still like it

When I saw some of the card previews, I was a bit worried about some cards being overpowered too. But as far as I have played yet (cca 10 games with different people) the cards aren't as strong as they look. Apart from SR, they have increased the values, but not the cost. This may look as a problem, as it should speed the game up, but it doesn't really that much. And what is more important, they have increased the values of ALL the cards, not just that ones which deal dmg. So on the one side, you can have insane dmg per round (about 30) but you can also somehow easily heal the same amout in a round or two.
So, as you, I was a bit concerned, when I saw all the cards, but you can't just say "These cards are overpowered" if you didn't play it really . So just wait until you play it and then make a final decision .
Sorry for my english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the PnP-Version yesterday and I know it isn't the final version of the game.
I hope they slightly changed some stuff (balancing) besides the wording (which was confirmed).

If I take a closer look at

Borg, Ogre Mercenary: Cost(6) - Guard(6) - Expend(4 damage)

and compare him with another Guild card

Parov, the Enforcer: Cost(5) - Guard(5) - Expend(3 damage) - Ally(Draw 1 card)

then I have to say the 5 cost card seems better then the 6 cost card.
I had no opportunity to play the game right now but as a Star Realms player... Crazy draw combos is what we are looking for ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
I just received the PnP-Version yesterday and I know it isn't the final version of the game.
I hope they slightly changed some stuff (balancing) besides the wording (which was confirmed).

I had no opportunity to play the game right now but as a Star Realms player... Crazy draw combos is what we are looking for ;P

I'd say that a +1 Guard can change everything in the game, and is totally worth +1 cost. I don't have the sheets to look at yet, but you'd have to compare Borg with every other combat generating card to see how many can do 6 damage on their own, and then see if the +1 guard really is relevant.

Overall, I'm confident WWG know what they're doing, and the game is balanced as is. If Borg is not as good as Parov in your opinion, then buy Parov over him when given the opportunity. Fortunately enough, WWG games are no Ascension games, and buying the highest cost card is not the only strategy in Star Realms/Hero Realms

I would tend to believe that the PnP is the final version of the game, but you seem to imply it being confirmed that it's not, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

I'd say that a +1 Guard can change everything in the game, and is totally worth +1 cost. I don't have the sheets to look at yet, but you'd have to compare Borg with every other combat generating card to see how many can do 6 damage on their own, and then see if the +1 guard really is relevant.

The question is: Are 1 more guard and attack better then the chance to draw a card...?
1 additional card can change a lot.

I do not need to compare Borg with any single unit BECAUSE each turn I'll draw not a single card but 5 cards. If I have Parov in play maybe even 6 cards and there is a good chance to accumulate 6 damage.

Razoupaf wrote:
Overall, I'm confident WWG know what they're doing, and the game is balanced as is. If Borg is not as good as Parov in your opinion, then buy Parov over him when given the opportunity. Fortunately enough, WWG games are no Ascension games, and buying the highest cost card is not the only strategy in Star Realms/Hero Realms

Yes, one reason are those ally abilities, overall I like the balance and I had a great time playing the PNP-Version.

Razoupaf wrote:
I would tend to believe that the PnP is the final version of the game, but you seem to imply it being confirmed that it's not, so...

Just to clarify my statement, I read in the comment section of the kickstarter page that the wording of some cards was precised. I do not believe that the balance of the cards was changed if it was changed at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd rather have Borg early game because the chance that I can trigger the ally ability of Parov will be low.

If I can focus on the Guild faction and had the opportunity to cull my deck, then Parov becomes a better option.

You're right that 1 card will be better in most cases. But the requirements on Parov are higher too, when the +1 guard +1 attack is guaranteed each time with Borg. Makes it up for the higher price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, in the early game Borg is better^^

In the late game, if you sacrificed some cards, have focused on guild cards or cards which let you draw additional cards to improve the chance to trigger Parovs ally ability, then he becomes a better option over Borg.

: )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.