$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.86

7,821 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Courtney Jean
msg tools
Man, I'm glad that I picked this game up at Gencon this year. I've gotten my mom to play and she enjoys it, and then tonight I got a group of 4 of us to play it, and we played it a few times to test out different strategies. I'll definitely be picking up some of the others after I get settled into my new house.

Just to clarify, when a scavenger earns food, but dies before the players turn ends, the player still earns that food, right? With the same idea, during the last round, can a scavenger still earn food, even if the player already had their last turn? We played that the food had already been earned, it was just collected at the end of the players turn to keep track of who had been fed, but we'd like to be certain.

My group also had a slight debate whether a fat scavenger can earn up to two foods per round from scavenging. We decided that they can, since it's just eating but at a different time so it really shouldn't be any different. Also, is there a reason a fat scavenger couldn't get his second food from the watering hole (unless he's a carnivor or it is empty)?

We also had some questions about a maximum hand size, and how long you can hold on to cards after you draw them. One of us intends to try an entire game hoarding all of their cards so that they can get all of the points at end.

Also, and quite possibly most infuriating (), why doesn't the cardboard watering hole piece fit into the larger cut out hole?! It's just ever so slightly too big
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cneyj wrote:
Man, I'm glad that I picked this game up at Gencon this year. I've gotten my mom to play and she enjoys it, and then tonight I got a group of 4 of us to play it, and we played it a few times to test out different strategies. I'll definitely be picking up some of the others after I get settled into my new house.

Just to clarify, when a scavenger earns food, but dies before the players turn ends, the player still earns that food, right?

Incorrect. The rules state that if you earn food when it is not your turn, the food goes on the scavenger card. You only get to eat that at the end of your turn - if the species is not extinct. If the species goes extinct - too bad, the food is returned to the excess food pile.

See Re: A couple of questions regarding eating.

cneyj wrote:
With the same idea, during the last round, can a scavenger still earn food, even if the player already had their last turn? We played that the food had already been earned, it was just collected at the end of the players turn to keep track of who had been fed, but we'd like to be certain.

Same as above. The scavenger cannot eat until the end of your turn.

cneyj wrote:
My group also had a slight debate whether a fat scavenger can earn up to two foods per round from scavenging. We decided that they can, since it's just eating but at a different time so it really shouldn't be any different. Also, is there a reason a fat scavenger couldn't get his second food from the watering hole (unless he's a carnivor or it is empty)?

Correct on both accounts. Only a species with fat tissue can eat more than one food per round. You may feed your species in anyway that is legal.

cneyj wrote:
We also had some questions about a maximum hand size, and how long you can hold on to cards after you draw them. One of us intends to try an entire game hoarding all of their cards so that they can get all of the points at end.

There is no rule regarding hand size nor how long you can keep your cards. Don't forget to draw cards for the traits lost when a species goes extinct. Played cards should generate more than one food in their life cycle to make this type of strategy ineffective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowLab wrote:
cneyj wrote:

Just to clarify, when a scavenger earns food, but dies before the players turn ends, the player still earns that food, right?

Incorrect. The rules state that if you earn food when it is not your turn, the food goes on the scavenger card. You only get to eat that at the end of your turn - if the species is not extinct. If the species goes extinct - too bad, the food is returned to the excess food pile.

Wrong. See page 8 of the rulebook dealing with a carnivore attack:

Quote:
Reduce the Population of the Attacked Species by 1. Remove the bottom Population card of the attacked species and place it face-up in the Discard pile. If there is Food on that card (see Scavenger Trait, p.11), place it in the Food Bag of the attacked player.

(emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.