33.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
We just played our 1st session and it was a 3 player base game (we do not have any expansion or the funds to get any ATM so we will play the base game for a bit). Mindful we are knew, but it seems like I am missing something. To me it seems that a military victory is the most linear viable option to win in almost every case. I wonder if I am missing something here. In my experience so far you have to build up on the tech tree for anything good; so all winning options will do this. For a military victory all I have to do is spam units and armies with some tech. I don't need to worry about culture or really economy that much.

If someone wants to concentrate on culture they will have to concentrate on culture, technology and military in any aspect to keep themselves from being vulnerable. If they do not concentrate on military they will go down easily. The same for any other victory condition. Seems they would need to concentrate on 3 things to be viable at all and spread themselves out.

So what do I seem to be missing? Is this game that linear? Without buying new material what can we do to curb this if this is the case?

My one suggestion would be not be able to move into a certain unit unless you are cultural enough? Or some such aspect?

I don't know, again I must be missing something. HELP!! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly from the base game (it's been a while), the economic victory is faster than the military one. If you do it right, you can accumulate coins faster than your opponent getting enough military for defeating your capital.

Though, opinions differ here.
Military is definitely strong. Culture in the base game was way too slow and tech is has only been a game clock anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Crud
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played about 10 games so far and not one military victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
1ast game played. I won military, other player was going for economical not so close, and the 3rd player was going for culture, very close.

Also just FYI are you using expansions or just base game in the 10 games you played? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
commandercrud wrote:
I have played about 10 games so far and not one military victory.
My last ten games probably 8 were military. 1 economic, 1 technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To lessen military, I've been tossing around the idea of limiting each player to max 1 general, 1 barracks, 1 academy, and 1 naval shipyard. Also, throw out the investment card with military strength.

I think you could still win military with those house rules but it won't be so easy. Double generals seems to be an auto win and it's completely luck based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too recall culture being very slow in the base game. Economic is very powerful. Because you do have many coins, you can tech very easily and therefore have stronger units than someone who is only going for military, without many coins. You will need to keep enough units to protect yourself of course.
Some culture cards are also great against attack (mass defection etc).

I strongly advise to play with the units from W&W. You can do this without buying it. Each unit has an attack strenght and hp value. Lvl 1 is combined 4. IE a 3 attack strenght unit has only 1HP, whereas a 1 attack strengh unit has 3HP.
This removes the considerable luck of the unit draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.