Subject: Looking for a game like TI3 but shorter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Had my first full play through of TI3 yesterday. I loved it but it took around 11 hours. Now, all were new to the game and we had one with serious AP and another pretty slow player but it still would have taken way too long to play. Are there other games that capture the awesome epic feel and great theme of TI3 but play in the 3-5 hour range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus: Proxima Centauri + Exodus: Edge of Extinction

Accodring to the Dice Tower it is the game that comes closest to TI3 in a shorter amount of time.
Unfortunately mine is still unplayed otherwise I could be more precise.
But from what I've seen in the rules it is exactly that.

The expansion changes some things and brings different races with different powers to the game, as well as some solo-scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse + Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

TI3 is an ameritrash game while Eclipse is more a euro and the playtime is not really short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

Accodring to the Dice Tower it is the game that comes closest to TI3 in a shorter amount of time.

The expansion changes some things and brings different races with different powers to the game, as well as some solo-scenarios.

I can't be hugely helpful as I've not played TI3 so cannot make a comparison. But Exodus and expansion are great games and highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega Centauri. Sorry, I can not make a link on my tablet.

Oh, and my favorite alternative to Ti3: TI2. Seriously, better, shorter, makes more thematically sense. Fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor was made with the intention to be a "TI3 lite". It did not achieve its goal, at least fully, but it may be worth checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

TI3 is an ameritrash game while Eclipse is more a euro and the playtime is not really short.

Defintely not Eclipse. It has very few similarites to TI3 other than they have a space theme, it is a resource management euro at it's heart. As mentioned, Exodus: Proxima Centauri imo is TI3 lite with less than 2.5 hour playtime. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All this talk about euro or not euro, it does not matter. TI3 is a euro at heart (variable phase order). Much more euro in the mechanisms than, say, Eclipse.

What matters is the "feel". Eclipse certainly gives me the space opera feel. It is not for everyone though (but what is?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

Eclipse is 45-60 mins per player in my experience. Not the first game though, that will be longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

Defintely not Eclipse. It has very few similarites to TI3 other than they have a space theme, it is a resource management euro at it's heart. As mentioned, Exodus: Proxima Centauri imo is TI3 lite with less than 2.5 hour playtime. Highly recommended.

I think Eclipse definitely has a similar feel to TI3, and do think it is a great option for the OP, if five to seven hours play time is his target. I don't get the hate for Eclipse. I've played both multiple times, and Eclipse is most likely to hit the table. Mainly due to scratching the same itch, and having a more reasonable play time.

That said, I've heard really great things about Exodus, mentioned above. Another one I'm planning to look into is Talon, that promises a 4x feel, but in a two hour play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sci-fi, but take a look at Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 Galactic Emperor
I think it achieved its goal of "TI3 light" cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Suns is supposed to come out in the next couple of weeks. I played a prototype twice a couple of years ago and it was very good and much closer to TI3 than anything else I've played, albeit more combat focused. Certainly way more closer than Eclipse. Really looking forward for my copy to arrive as I don't have the time to play TI3 as much as I'd like anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

It also has no flare, it is a cold game. Never felt like anything but cube pushing. Optimize your engine, or else!

I'm in the anything but Eclipse crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

+1 for Exodus: Proxima Centauri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

Op said 3-5 hours was his target... eclipse can easily be played in this timeframe.

jsc19702 wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
sao123 wrote:

er wut?

Yes, TI3 is very much a role selection game much like RFTG, and Eclipse is not...but they have more in common than just a space theme...

they both have nice plastic miniatures.
they both have a modular board made of hexes.
They are both 4x games.
Both involve the control and conquering of hexes, They both have combat with dice.
Each involves the management of resources (resources/influence vs money,science,materials,actions)
they both involve the production of units, both have a technology tree to research.
they both have a victory point system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun telling Sam Healy that Eclipse is TI3 but shorter. He'll also support Exodus as the proper answer. Eclipse fails in matching TI3's politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Eclipse fails in matching TI3's politics.
What politics? 9/10 times, the laws that come into play during the game have very minor impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Had my first full play through of TI3 yesterday. I loved it but it took around 11 hours. Now, all were new to the game and we had one with serious AP and another pretty slow player but it still would have taken way too long to play. Are there other games that capture the awesome epic feel and great theme of TI3 but play in the 3-5 hour range?

I've played a game of TI3 in 3 hours before. It was a 4 player version leaving off most of the optional rules and it went very fast.

Once everyone's used to the game, you can play a 4-5 player TI3 game in under 5 hours quite handily.

That being said, I haven't found anything that captures the same epic feel and theme of TI3. Exodus perhaps comes the closest, as some have said, but I also heartily vote NO to Eclipse - not even remotely close.

If you want similar gameplay, but shorter, and the theme isn't the only selling points, I'd suggest Warrior Knights. It has the same feel to it, but is a medieval setting instead of sci-fi, and plays in a much shorter time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the people who say no to Eclipse, what is a concrete thing in TI3 that isn't in Eclipse that breaks it for you?

Eclipse has actual exploration where TI3 has a map made before the game begins and the most exploration is some random counters via Distant Suns.

Eclipse also has ship customization to a much higher degree than TI3.

Somehow because it has some cubes instead of cards for economy, it is a Euro even though TI3 basically stole the role selection right out of Puerto Rico.

I like TI3 just fine, and maybe Exodus is TI3-lite, but I really have never understood the hate for Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Are there other games that capture the awesome epic feel and great theme of TI3 but play in the 3-5 hour range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Eclipse has actual exploration where TI3 has a map made before the game begins and the most exploration is some random counters via Distant Suns.

Eclipse also has ship customization to a much higher degree than TI3.
+1.

Having recently played both TI3 and Eclipse, there's no contest: Eclipse is clearly the better game.

TI3 took us seven hours and was just tedious.

Eclipse took about four hours and was a lot more fun.
The only thing I disliked was that having 'true' exploration can result in a pretty unbalanced map. I.e. if you're consistently unlucky when drawing tiles, you basically have no chance of winning the game.

Then again in TI3 you also have little chance of winning if your secret objective is impossible to achieve...

(Note that I haven't played Exodus, so it may well be the best of the three...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

Having recently played both TI3 and Eclipse, there's no contest: Eclipse is clearly the better game.

TI3 took us seven hours and was just tedious.

Eclipse took about four hours and was a lot more fun.

Could you clarify that a bit more?
How many players? How many of them had played the game before and how often?

My only game that took that long was the first one.
We play TI3 with 60-70 mins per player.

Another reason why I could drag might be the playstyle. If you turtle and try to slowly manage your way to 10 VPs, yes, it could take a while. The games in my group always end with the Imperium Rex card after one player tries to rush to the objective and win with his small lead of VPs.

jhaelen wrote:

The only thing I disliked was that having 'true' exploration can result in a pretty unbalanced map. I.e. if you're consistently unlucky when drawing tiles, you basically have no chance of winning the game.

Then again in TI3 you also have little chance of winning if your secret objective is impossible to achieve...

Like I mentioned above I've only seen games that end via the Imperium Rex card and often without Secret/Preliminary objectives claimed. If you draw a bad objective adapt your playstyle, go for public objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.