Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the information that I've gleaned so far. I will eventually post this as a file (and hopefully get Don to create a set of living rules).

ERRATA - RULEBOOK

2 - Game Components

There are 110 cards, not 112.
There are 6 red and 6 blue game marker hexagons, not 3.

2 – Game Cards

At the end of the first paragraph add the following sentence:

The border color for each Location card corresponds to its geographic area on the map in order to aid you in finding it. Location cards for locations within Italy have a red border, those in Africa have a blue border, those in Corsica-Sardinia have a green border, and those in Sicily have a yellow border.

3 – Game Setup

3.1 (part 1) – The Roman player also starts with Messana and Catana (yellow border), while the Carthaginian player starts with Caralis (green border), Lilybaeum and Panormus (yellow border). In other words, your starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map.

3.1 (part 2) - The sentence “He takes the remaining Location and Empire cards and places them face up on his Empire Deck space” is misleading. There are no remaining Location cards that go into a player’s Empire deck at setup. The only remaining Location cards go into the neutral Empire deck. All other location cards are already in the player’s decks.

3.1 (part 3) - Add the following paragraph after “Draw Cards”:

7. Place Game Markers: Each player puts one game marker (hexagon) on the “0” space of their own prestige track, one game marker on the “0” space of the VP track, one near the “10” space of the VP track, and one on the “0” space of the Pillage Track. The remaining markers are used for tracking your Fleet strength (see “Place Fleets” above) and the Battle Strength track.

4 – Game Play Overview

In the first sentence of the second paragraph, change “you may perform 2 actions” to “you must perform 2 actions”.

5.1.1 – Settle a Location

In the last example the location “Lilybaeum” should be replaced with “Hippo Acra” since Lilybaeum doesn’t actually have a colonist symbol on it.

5.2.2 - Reinforce a Land Battle

Change the first "IMPORTANT" important section to say, “You can only reinforce locations that you can trace to a friendly supply point.”

5.2.3 – Winning as the Defender

Change, “at the start of the defender’s round,” to “at the start of the defender’s round (or after the maximum number of rounds have elapsed),”.

5.2.5 - Engage Enemy Fleet / Corvus

Add "Any remaining infantry are sent to the Roman player's discard pile." at the end of the last paragraph.

5.3.4 – Pillaging

Minor typo - In the second sentence, it should read “…by playing a second card…”.

5.4.4 - Reserve a Card

At the end of the last paragraph add, "Cards in your Reserve are placed face-up and are public information (unless playing with the optional Hidden Reserve rule)."

5.5.3 - Cycle Strategy Card

After "draw a new Strategy card" add "for each card that was discarded".

5.6.2 – Withdraw from a siege

After the first paragraph add, “You may not withdraw from a siege in the same round that you began the siege.”

5.6.3 – Build a Warship

Change “you may not engage an enemy Fleet in the same round in which you have built a Warship” to “you may not build a Warship in the same round in which you engaged an enemy Fleet”.

6.2 - Game Ending Conditions

Add "The Peace random event causes the game to end".

CLARIFICATIONS - RULEBOOK

2 - Game Cards

The layout for Location cards isn’t explicitly explained here. The top half shows connected locations and the transport required to travel there. The icons in the parchment area are resources that you can use to perform various actions.

Miscellaneous

The Colonist empire cards should be treated as though there’s a colonist in the parchment area. In other words, it primarily serves as a colonist resource. The ability to discard for 2 SP is an alternate ability that you can take instead of playing the card for the colonist resource.

The Spying strategy card suggests that your Reserve is hidden. Your Reserve is normally public information. However, there is an optional rule to make reserves hidden. If you are not playing with that optional rule, then simply ignore this reference on the Spying strategy card.

ERRATA - COMPANION GUIDE

7.2 – Example of Field Battle, Draw

In the Round 3 example, please ignore the text that says, “places the fortification marker on Tyndaris”. This is incorrect not only because you can’t build and reinforce as a single action (you must choose one or the other) but also because you cannot build a fortification in a battle location.

8.0 – Card Manifest

The Carthaginians have 2 Heavy Infantry. They do not have a Greek Phalanx.

ERRATA - PLAYER AID

Pillage Action – Replace “coastal city” with “coastal location”.

Draft 1 card – Replace “if it has a Silver cost” with “(infantry, cavalry and leaders only)”.

ERRATA - RANDOM EVENTS

Rebellion should say "cube or disc".

CLARIFICATIONS - KICKSTARTER EXPANSION

E1.0 – Strategy Card Maintenance

The explanation for maintenance cost is confusing. Instead of treating the maintenance tokens as an overall cost, use them to track the number of rounds that the Strategy card has been in your possession (with an implicit 0 on the turn of purchase).

To calculate the maintenance cost, simply multiply the value of the round marker on the Strategy card by the maintenance cost in the upper right corner. After paying the maintenance cost increment the marker by 1. Keep in mind that you pay maintenance costs before incrementing the round marker, so the first turn of ownership you would not pay any maintenance cost.

For example, the maintenance cost for Devotio over several turns would be 0, 1, 2, 3, etc, while the maintenance cost for Greek Allies would be 0, 2, 4, 6, etc. This also means if you have one of the Strategy cards with a “0” maintenance cost, you never pay maintenance costs for that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
This is the information that I've gleaned so far. I will eventually post this as a file (and hopefully get Don to create a set of living rules).

I would be happy to fold all of these into a living rules document. I appreciate you collecting and compiling these. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
3 – Game Setup

3.1 (part 1) – The Roman player also starts with Messana and Catana (yellow border), while the Carthaginian player starts with Caralis (green border) and Lilybaeum (yellow border). In other words, your starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map.

I would start this section with "each player's starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map" and avoid using "in other words".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
itsmarty wrote:
djberg96 wrote:
3 – Game Setup

3.1 (part 1) – The Roman player also starts with Messana and Catana (yellow border), while the Carthaginian player starts with Caralis (green border) and Lilybaeum (yellow border). In other words, your starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map.

I would start this section with "each player's starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map" and avoid using "in other words".

How about just rewording that section to:

1. Choose Empire: Players select either Rome or Carthage. Both players take all of their Location and Empire cards with an "S" (starting) symbol on them, shuffle them, and place them face down in their own Draw Deck space. Each player's starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map. For Rome this is all red bordered Location cards, plus Messana and Catana. For Carthage, this is all blue bordered Location cards plus Caralis, Lilybaeum and Panormus. In addition, the Carthaginian player puts the Campaign card at the bottom of his draw deck after shuffling. The remaining Empire cards do not need to be shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
How about just rewording that section to:

1. Choose Empire: Players select either Rome or Carthage. Both players take all of their Location and Empire cards with an "S" (starting) symbol on them, shuffle them, and place them face down in their own Draw Deck space. Each player's starting Location cards match the red or blue starting areas on the map. For Rome this is all red bordered Location cards, plus Messana and Catana. For Carthage, this is all blue bordered Location cards plus Caralis and Lilybaeum. In addition, the Carthaginian player puts the Campaign card at the bottom of his draw deck after shuffling. The remaining Empire cards do not need to be shuffled.

Much, much clearer.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does panormus also go into the Carthage deck? The board shows it as a blue controlled locstion right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
Does panormus also go into the Carthage deck? The board shows it as a blue controlled locstion right?

Yes, updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This says to start with the VP markers in the 0 and 10 spaces. Does that mean that you start with 10 VPs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mandelberg wrote:
This says to start with the VP markers in the 0 and 10 spaces. Does that mean that you start with 10 VPs?

No, sorry, fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player cards suggest that pillaging attacks coastal cities, but the rules say coastal locations. I assume the rules take precedence, there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
The player cards suggest that pillaging attacks coastal cities, but the rules say coastal locations. I assume the rules take precedence, there.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the next print run of this game, you might consider having the S for starter deck with a red and blue background to quickly decipher what deck which goes into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
In the next print run of this game, you might consider having the S for starter deck with a red and blue background to quickly decipher what deck which goes into.

Then they'll wonder why cards in Sicily or Corsica-Sardinia aren't the same color as the other cards in those regions. I think it's a no-win for us either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he mean that the grey circle around the S could be replaced with blue/red background circles to show sides? I think that would work. You could also make the S in the color of its side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Did he mean that the grey circle around the S could be replaced with blue/red background circles to show sides? I think that would work. You could also make the S in the color of its side.

Yeah, I meant this, similar to how the R and C markers on the Strategy cards are colored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Yeah, I meant this, similar to how the R and C markers on the Strategy cards are colored.

Oh, I see. Yes, that might not be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

I remember dabbling with different ways to represent the starting decks and that was something I played around with. For some reason, I dropped doing it that way, but it is a great idea. We will go ahead and make that change in the 2nd printing. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, would you consider making available a replacement deck for the early adopters to upgrade? I don't expect you to cover the cost, but it'd be nice to be able to be able to upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzen wrote:
Don, would you consider making available a replacement deck for the early adopters to upgrade? I don't expect you to cover the cost, but it'd be nice to be able to be able to upgrade.

Hi John, are you thinking along the lines of a replacement deck of all 110 cards? The 28 cards from the mini-expansion would also need to be taken into consideration, as well. I could always go through www.drivethrucards.com and offer the entire deck for purchase, but I am not sure why someone would want to purchase that for a few modifications. Just my thoughts, I am not trying to be rude.

We are working with the manufacturer on an updated replacement pack of cards with matching backs, card stock, size, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, oops, I hadn't realized the extent of the cards affected. It's such a small thing, I'm embarrassed I even asked. Thanks for the quick response, Don, and cheers for a fantastic experience all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzen wrote:
Ah, oops, I hadn't realized the extent of the cards affected. It's such a small thing, I'm embarrassed I even asked. Thanks for the quick response, Don, and cheers for a fantastic experience all around.
No worries. You are very welcome.

On a side note, I have actually thought about Living Card games that had optional decks that could be purchased through www.DriveThruCards.com. I also use them and www.PrintPlayGames.com for prototype cards that Knight Works has in development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
fuzen wrote:

Hi John, are you thinking along the lines of a replacement deck of all 110 cards? The 28 cards from the mini-expansion would also need to be taken into consideration, as well. I could always go through www.drivethrucards.com and offer the entire deck for purchase, but I am not sure why someone would want to purchase that for a few modifications. Just my thoughts, I am not trying to be rude.

We are working with the manufacturer on an updated replacement pack of cards with matching backs, card stock, size, etc.

i would buy the replacement deck! if you decide to offer this, please post here...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
i would buy the replacement deck! if you decide to offer this, please post here...thanks!

If there were enough changes or variants that justified a reprint of the card decks then I would entertain that option. However, I think it is more likely that we will do a 2nd printing before that happens. With less than 200 copies worldwide a 2nd printing may be a reality sooner than I previously thought.

If we do a 2nd printing then I will have the manufacturer print separate replacement decks for 1st edition owners to purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
On the player aid, there seems to be a mistake:
Under "Draft 1 Card", the last sentence states that, if you pay double, you can add a just drafted card to "your Draw pile if it has a Silver cost." This is incorrect, as Senatorial Support and Siege Engine both have a Silver cost, but cannot be levied, as per rules.

I would also recommend to include a short reminder in the "Build a Warship" part of the player aid, regarding that it is not possible to "Engage enemy fleet" if you built ships in the previous action. There certainly is space for an additional line...

The wording in the rulebook regarding the Pillaging action is not completely clear, as it can be misread in that you can "always" pillage an adjacent coastal location, no matter where your own Fleet is positioned at that point. It took me quite a while to understand that this only concerns coastal locations that are IN the Sea Zone with your Fleet marker, or (with two ship symbol cards) in Sea Zones adjacent of said Sea Zone. While logical, the wording here would be clearer, if the first sentence would say:
"Play a card with a Ship symbol to pillage an enemy-controlled coastal location in the Sea Zone your Fleet is in ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
On the player aid, there seems to be a mistake:
Under "Draft 1 Card", the last sentence states that, if you pay double, you can add a just drafted card to "your Draw pile if it has a Silver cost." This is incorrect, as Senatorial Support and Siege Engine both have a Silver cost, but cannot be levied, as per rules.

Good catch. The rule on the player aid was the rule for a long time, but was then changed later both to simplify the rules, and to prevent certain tricks with admin type cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.