BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 Player Strategy Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Stephens
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

New to this forum, was looking for a thread like this but they all seemed too specific, happy to be linked to another thread that answers my question.

I'm wondering what sort of games are good for two people that enjoy a whole range of strategy games. The games I have at the moment which are playable with two people include Carcassonne, Small World and Pandemic, but in my opinion none of them are incredibly well designed for two people. Still fun, but much better with 3+. Ideally I want a game that has as much enjoyment and replayability with 2 players as it does with 3 players.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

TL;DR Are there any games designed as well for 2 players are it is for 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want people to suggest games that are exclusively for two players, or do you want games that scale from 2 to more?

My go to 2 player suggestion is Twilight Struggle, but that's no good if you want to play with more than one other person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Stephens
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out!

Ideally I'm looking for a game that's as good with 2 players as it is with 3, but as I have plenty of 3+ games I'm more than happy to hear 2 player suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy is kind of broad, but if you mean the classic 'expand, build, conquer' then I'd recommend:

Forbidden Stars - excellent with two players. Great with 3 or 4 too, but two players means no downtime during the (excellent) combat, which is a problem at higher player counts. Warhammer 40k theme might be a sticking point for some, but it's probably my favourite strategy game.

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - two players only. Beautiful wooden block wargame-lite, packed with bluffs, double bluffs and difficult decisions. Also historically accurate and interesting!

War of the Ring (second edition) - Great strategy game for two. Multiple routes to victory, asymmetric sides, clever hidden movement, dripping with theme, and tense finales

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plum wrote:
War of the Ring (second edition) - Great strategy game for two. Multiple routes to victory, asynchronous sides, clever hidden movement, dripping with theme, and tense finales

Asymmetric?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carcassonne is best with either 2 or 3 players, with 4-5 I don't think each player gets enough turns. Many people think Carcassonne is best with 2, I think 3p is as good as sharing a feature is more interesting. If you don't like Carcassonne 2p that's fine but I think it is well designed for 2p. I though I'd say as sometimes seeing someone else having a different opinion on a game to me has caused me to rethink and start enjoying a game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game I'd happily play with 2 players (player counts only mentioned if it's not 2p only):

Haggis 2-3p ladder climbing card game (similar to trick taking card games). 2p game can be played with playing cards.
Hive - quick abstract strategy
Hey, That's My Fish! 2-4p - quick abstract strategy, best with 2p, with more players it's difficult to plan.
Race for the Galaxy 2-4p - engine building card game, needs a few plays to get the hang of (my most played game by a big margin). If you play it 2p lots and occasionally play it 3p then the third player is likely to be confused and lose.
Connect Four - well know and underrated abstract
Pentago - 5 in a row game where you rotate parts of the board
Cribbage - classic playing card game
Mancala (Kalah) - classic abstract strategy
Star Realms - deck building space combat. Supports up to 6 players with additional sets (or Star Realms: Colony Wars), 4p is fun but I think it's best with 2.
Red7 - 2-4p quick card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Five Tribes
Is played a lot 2p here. Playable 2to4. Very good 2 player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Stratego

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious
Through the Desert
San Juan
Thurn & Taxis

Antike Duellum is great but is strictly 2-player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Plum wrote:
War of the Ring (second edition) - Great strategy game for two. Multiple routes to victory, asynchronous sides, clever hidden movement, dripping with theme, and tense finales

Asymmetric?

Haha yes, thank you! Corrected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of games my wife and I have enjoyed, and still do. Most are designed as 2-player games, but a few are also multiplayer (i.e., Splendid, Machi Koro).

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd recommend some of these gateway-type games.

7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Star Realms
Jaipur
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Memoir '44
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Claustrophobia
Targi
Battle Line
Hive
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
1775: Rebellion
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Ingenious
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hall
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out a few of these good Two-player games:

High Heavens
7 Wonders Duel
Onitama
Defenders of the Realm
Patchwork.

Take a look at
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
for reviews focusing on two player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately my wife and I are into:

Greed - great card drafting game for 2-5 players; my wife & I have played it literally about 100 times 2-player.

Concordia - euro resource / building game for 2-5 players; we've only played 2-3 players, mostly 2-player, about 10 times, and we love it (our current hot borrowed game...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel comes to mind. Excellent at both 2P and 3P. Likely my favorite big box game at 2P.

The Voyages of Marco Polo is also very good and scales well from 2P-4P.

Strictly 2P games you can look at:

Patchwork: thinky little game that has you balancing spatial and economic elements against what you leave for your opponent
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis ( Twilight Struggle light )
Targi: clever little worker placement game with some interesting mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.