BattleLore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lore cards during battle back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jul A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm suddenly wondering about the "Play before your opponent's dice roll" Lore cards... Is the battle back dice roll concerned?

If I read the Ambush! or Scatter cards, it's clear these couldn't be played during battle back.
But what about the Agility (among others) cards: "Target (1 defending unit) may ignore 1 banner color hit."? Do we have to understand that "defending unit" doesn't mean "attacked unit in a battle" but "unit of the defending player during the current turn"?

Same question about the "Play after your opponent's dice roll" Backstab card...

Julien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree such lore cards can be used to effect your opponents battle back dice. I can't really see why not, any unit that being attacked is a defending unit. Don't know if there is a actual ruling by R. Borg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julien,

Not sure if you ever got a hold of the Cards Compendium download -http://www.battleloremaster.com/guild_downloads.html - but that can answer a lot of questions like this.

If I'm understanding your question correctly the best quick answer I can give you is that cards like Fireball may be targeting a unit but you could not use Agility to ignore the banner color hit since it is not able to 'defend' a lore attack - the attack is coming from the lore master and not another unit.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jul A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers.

My question is whether the "Play before your opponent's dice roll" Lore cards may be played during regular battle back.

As you suggested, I read again the whole Lore Cards Compendium. And I found an explicit answer to my question in the Wizard's Slow section:

Quote:
Q: Can Slow (and reaction cards in general) be played during one's own turn as well as during an opponent's turn? Specifically, can Slow be played against a unit which is battling back?

A: Yes reaction cards can usually be played during one's own turn, PROVIDED you still respect the limit of only ONE lore card played per player in a turn. Here you could thus play Slow on a unit that is battling back, if you haven't already played another Lore card during your turn.
What is NOT possible, on the other hand, is to play a card that is NOT a reaction card, during the other player's card (so you could not play a Bless during one of your unit's battle back for instance).

BUT, further, about the Warrior's First Strike:

Quote:
6. Can “Ambush” be countered by “First Strike”?
Q: If I move to attack my opponent's unit and he plays Ambush, can I respond with First Strike and be the first to attack? Would this mean that there are 3 attacks in this one turn provided no unit is destroyed or forced to retreat? If so, what about Battle Back and follow on actions? If the Ambushing unit (2nd to attack in the series of three) would normally be entitled to Battle Back,can he Battle Back from the First Strike attack and then take his Ambush attack? Can my First Strikeing unit take follow on actions from his First Strike attack being that it is MY turn?
A: No, because Reaction cards can only be played during your opponent's turn, not during your own turn. So you cannot play First strile during your own turn (and thus you cannot use it to counter your opponent's Ambush, which he is playing during your turn as the active player).

Okay, this is contradictory. Although it's clear that First Strike cannot be played during battle back, because it doesn't make any sense...

To conclude, there's no precise answer.

And to complete, I could say that among the "Play before your opponent's dice roll" Lore cards, Ambush!/First Strike and Scatter/Evade are clearly not intended to be played during battle back, but the others, Stone Skin/Agility/Blur and Parry/Slow could be.

Julien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jul_nwar wrote:

BUT, further, about the Warrior's First Strike:

Quote:
6. Can “Ambush” be countered by “First Strike”?
Q: If I move to attack my opponent's unit and he plays Ambush, can I respond with First Strike and be the first to attack? Would this mean that there are 3 attacks in this one turn provided no unit is destroyed or forced to retreat? If so, what about Battle Back and follow on actions? If the Ambushing unit (2nd to attack in the series of three) would normally be entitled to Battle Back,can he Battle Back from the First Strike attack and then take his Ambush attack? Can my First Strikeing unit take follow on actions from his First Strike attack being that it is MY turn?
A: No, because Reaction cards can only be played during your opponent's turn, not during your own turn. So you cannot play First strile during your own turn (and thus you cannot use it to counter your opponent's Ambush, which he is playing during your turn as the active player).

Okay, this is contradictory. Although it's clear that First Strike cannot be played during battle back, because it doesn't make any sense...

To conclude, there's no precise answer.

And to complete, I could say that among the "Play before your opponent's dice roll" Lore cards, Ambush!/First Strike and Scatter/Evade are clearly not intended to be played during battle back, but the others, Stone Skin/Agility/Blur and Parry/Slow could be.

Julien

I'd agree that that specific line is contradictory. In fact if you look at the original BattleLore Rules on page 51 it says "Cards that are not explicitly marked as Reaction cards can never be played out-of-turn, i.e. during a game turn in which your opponent is the active player."

So I'd agree that the cards you list (Stone Skin/Agility/Blur/Parry/Slow) can be played before a battle back roll since they are Reaction cards. I believe I've played it where I've started to Battle Back and my opponent has played something like Agility before I've rolled and found that perfectly legal as long as it follows all the additional rules listed on pg 48-51.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
Julien,

Not sure if you ever got a hold of the Cards Compendium download -http://www.battleloremaster.com/guild_downloads.html - but that can answer a lot of questions like this.

so, it looks like battleloremaster's domain expired yesterday 9/10/2016. Anyone want to contact
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
to see if he will upload the files here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.