Subject: Thinking of purchasing but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about the Lovecraft universe all these games are set in. Given that, will I still (a) have a clue as to what is going on and (b) enjoy it?

I love the idea of the app as it means I can play the game solo (happy controlling 2 characters) so that's what has got me interested in the game. And FFG does put out good games (I have LOTR LCG and Star Wars Imperial Assault) so I'm sure the quality and gameplay will be there. But while I am a fan of LOTR and Star Wars, which makes playing those games fun, I don't know whether or not to slap down £70 for this if the game universe is an unknown to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont have to know the universe at all, when I first got Eldritch Horror, that was my first lovecraft Ffg game and it just felt like generic gothic horror

MoM 2nd edition is by far my favourite horror mystery game

Go for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Never had any interest in FFG's Lovecraftian games, didn't really know anything about the 'lore'. This game, it's hype/buzz and the same for the upcoming Arkham Horror LCG got me interested.

After reading up on what Lovecraftian literature is about my interested was piqued, particularly after reading that it's similar to Edgar Allen Poe's work, which I love.

FYI you can get the entire works of Lovecraft as an ebook for 49p. That's where I started.

I order MoM 2nd Edition from Chaos Cards this morning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think that having a strong familiarity with the Lovecraft mythos is a requirement for playing the game and really enjoying/appreciating it. In fact, let me argue the opposite with an RPG analogy.

When players first play a game like D&D and run into weird monsters that they've never encountered, there is a sense of danger and excitement that rapidly fades a few games in when that same encounter results in "oh, it's another one of THOSE things... they're vulnerable to fire and sarcasm."

Players who know the Lovecraft world inside-and-out get a kick out of seeing some of the monsters and situations that they are familiar with but much of the mystery of what it all means is gone. Somebody who doesn't know a deep one from Kermit the frog is going to wonder what the heck this fish-man dude is capable of and what the heck it wants.

And in the fiction, most of the protagonists of Lovecraft stories start their tales blissfully unaware of what all of this wacky stuff means. It's the slow uncovering of the underlying horror that leads to the unraveling of their sanity. In a sense, a player who is ignorant of the mythology of the setting is having an experience that is more faithful to the source materials.

Anyway, it's a pretty entertaining game that doesn't require much more of a setting briefing than "there are ancient forces in the universe that were here long before us and will be here long after we are forgotten - and we are nothing to them." You don't need to know their personal biographies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine a noire crime thriller. The flapper girl, the Dick Tracy rip off, the mildly racist overtones. There's a crime been done and you have to solve it! Now imagine that crime was performed by cultists who want to bring some weird god into the world. Now imagine that god is real and wants to consume the souls of all humanity, not for some evil purpose but just because he can. Now imagine there's thousands of these gods and for each one thousands of cultists performing crimes in an effort to bring them into the world and it's up to you to stop them.

Welcome to Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You'll be fine except you might struggle to pronounce some of the monster names...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
You'll be fine except you might struggle to pronounce some of the monster names...

Hence the lack of total voiceover in the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:
You dont have to know the universe at all, when I first got Eldritch Horror, that was my first lovecraft Ffg game and it just felt like generic gothic horror

Like the first time you see one of Shakespeare's plays and wonder why's he so famous, it's just a bunch of famous quotes strung together!?
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
I don't think that having a strong familiarity with the Lovecraft mythos is a requirement for playing the game and really enjoying/appreciating it. In fact, let me argue the opposite with an RPG analogy.

When players first play a game like D&D and run into weird monsters that they've never encountered, there is a sense of danger and excitement that rapidly fades a few games in when that same encounter results in "oh, it's another one of THOSE things... they're vulnerable to fire and sarcasm."

Players who know the Lovecraft world inside-and-out get a kick out of seeing some of the monsters and situations that they are familiar with but much of the mystery of what it all means is gone. Somebody who doesn't know a deep one from Kermit the frog is going to wonder what the heck this fish-man dude is capable of and what the heck it wants.

And in the fiction, most of the protagonists of Lovecraft stories start their tales blissfully unaware of what all of this wacky stuff means. It's the slow uncovering of the underlying horror that leads to the unraveling of their sanity. In a sense, a player who is ignorant of the mythology of the setting is having an experience that is more faithful to the source materials.

Anyway, it's a pretty entertaining game that doesn't require much more of a setting briefing than "there are ancient forces in the universe that were here long before us and will be here long after we are forgotten - and we are nothing to them." You don't need to know their personal biographies.

That is a great analogy. There is something special about experiencing a Lovecraftian horror setting without actually having any familiarity with the lore. When I first played Arkham Horror, I didn't have any history with Lovecraft, so it made the entire experience very mysterious and intriguing.

Now that I've read just about everything Lovecraft has ever written (and know a lot of FFG's Arkham Files lore pretty well), there is little left that actually surprises me. I can look at a situation and think "Yup, that sounds like the Cult of Dagon." It doesn't take anything away from the experience, but it does make me envy those going into the game with a full sense of mystery.

So in that regard, OP, I think you'll have a great time playing, not fully understanding the origins of scenarios. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Before i played Arkham Horror i never really knew much about lovecrafts work - you learn about the lore by playing games like this

When you realise how much modern horror and scifi borrows from lovecraft it almost blows your mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou all for your replies. You have convinced me that not knowing about the universe won't be a bar to enjoying the game. However last night I did get the Kindle edition of the complete works of Lovecraft for the princely sum of £0 so I can now read about it.

So now to decide what I can sell to justify the purchase to the household CFO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
tasmanuk wrote:
Thankyou all for your replies. You have convinced me that not knowing about the universe won't be a bar to enjoying the game. However last night I did get the Kindle edition of the complete works of Lovecraft for the princely sum of £0 so I can now read about it.

Careful what you read first, though. Often those anthologies have some of his work but often a lot of bad too. If you look around or even google you can find a list of his best to start on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:

You can find all his work on archive.org.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=lovecraft&and[]=mediatype%3A%22texts%22

I've found a lot of Kindle editions and PDFs are sometimes poorly formatted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.