Popular Tags: [View All]
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.
Couple days ago I started with Hexcrawl Campain which is just pure joy btw.
I have a question on transportation with train or steamboat. I could not find in the rules, if there is some fee to travel with these two transport. How I see it,there are just benefits with train or boat traveling (ie. you dont roll for any Encouters...) and you could travel for free, which is litle odd imho. Or I'm missing something.
Thx for any clarifications.
B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele C.
msg tools
As you can find on the 'HexCrawl_Items-Enemies' file, you have to buy a ticket to use train or steamboat (25$ for train ticket, 35$ for Steamboat passage). You need one ticket for every Posse member and for every 'Transport' item!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Daniele. I totaly missed that, though I had a feeling somewhere back in my head,that I indeed saw this rule
Now, I have one other thing that bugs me a little bit. It's about Travel Hazard. I understand when moving through the Overland Map I should roll for Wilderness Encounter each day. So do I completly disregard original Travel Hazard Chart. I mean, is now any difference in Hazards regarding Size of Town ie.
Could you clarify this a little bit?
Thx again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see "traveling monster" rules (either here or in D&D) I think of those Hobbit movies where it seems like every 10 seconds they've gotten into a new horrifying life threatening encounter. The movie 2012 is similar in that regard.

In real RPGs we used to use them too of course, but only to remind the players that the world was a pretty wild place, not to consume large amounts of time or present THAT great of a threat. It was more local color than life threatening potential disasters.

I kind of wish travel "hazards" or encounters were something I could have fun with in SoB rather than dreading them and working to avoid having to roll at all.

It's the same in some ways for the SoB tiles. They are really cool looking (especially the Targa plateau tiles) and I'd love to have some sense of joyful exploration of seeing this dead city, but you have to keep moving as fast as you can or you get overwhelmed and destroyed. I think that might make for a good game but it's still sad to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
boris95 wrote:
Thank you very much Daniele. I totaly missed that, though I had a feeling somewhere back in my head,that I indeed saw this rule
Now, I have one other thing that bugs me a little bit. It's about Travel Hazard. I understand when moving through the Overland Map I should roll for Wilderness Encounter each day. So do I completly disregard original Travel Hazard Chart. I mean, is now any difference in Hazards regarding Size of Town ie.
Could you clarify this a little bit?
Thx again

You can use either/or. The idea is that while you're moving around on the Overland map, you roll first to see if you actually have an Encounter for the day (either a Travel Hazard or a Wilderness Encounter). If you do, then you roll on whichever chart you've decided to go with. The original Travel Hazard chart is for vanilla Shadows of Brimstone, so the effects are slightly different and just make the assumption that you're just going back and forth straight from Mines to Towns and vice versa (without any overland map). The Wilderness Encounters though specifically have effects that reference the overland map.

You're not wrong going with either one in HexCrawl. The Wilderness Encounters get a bit more complicated, so they'll add more time on to your game, especially if they branch off and you have to look stuff up. If you want shorter encounters (but more likely to be negative), then go with the original Travel Hazard chart(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would there be an easy way for me to alter the wilderness chart to cause (a) certain roll(s) to call for a roll on the hazard chart?

I haven't checked out the crawl yet, but it's on my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could just add some rule like if you roll an odd #, roll on the Travel Hazard chart, even number look it up on the Wilderness Encounter chart. Or, if you roll the #'s 3-18, then look it up on the Travel Hazard chart, otherwise look it up in Wilderness Encounters. The Wilderness Encounter chart is a D100 table whereas the (original) Travel Hazard chart is a 3D6 table, so it's not an easy conversion and it adds on another step going back and forth. You might just go with one based on how much time you have available to play or what kind of difficulty level you're looking for (Travel Hazards are a bit more negative towards your posse and may make things harder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.