Support:

David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada and 1775: Rebellion are my current favorite games, with Quartermaster General a close second.

I'll snag 879: Vikings – The Invasions of England and 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War as soon as they are released. And I already have (and also love) Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War.

I love the complexity level, player counts, Euro mechanisms, and play lengths that these games offer.

So what else would you suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands in the Sea

A Few Acres of Snow

Waterloo

Gettysburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

I'm the proud owner of A Few Acres of Snow (another of my favorites). I've been waiting for more reviews of Hands in the Sea before buying, but I'm watching it closely. Will check out the others (and I'm a bit ashamed I haven't already since I'm a bit of a Wallace fanboy). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

These are all excellent suggestions, to which I would add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alexander the Great- Take your Euro mechanics into battle with one of the greatest generals of all time!
Italia is a closer cousin to Small World but close enough to your liking to work.
Another vote for Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is good if you like your Euro mechanics spiced up with a bit of nuclear annihilation.

If you want to keep your Euro mechanics and jump up an order of complexity then you could try GMT COIN Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight struggle and hammer of the scots if you're willing to play with two.

Those are two of my favorites. I love QMG.

Dominant Species or Virgin Queen if you're looking to up the complexity and/or play time a little.

Star Wars Rebellion if you're into the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

It's not out yet but possibly Hitler's Reich. Fast playing card driven WW2 strategic. Maybe too much of a cross over with QMG but I can't get enough of that genre. I'm guessing with your own WW2 title in the pipeline at LnL, you have an interest in that conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
airjudden wrote:

I'm the proud owner of A Few Acres of Snow (another of my favorites). I've been waiting for more reviews of Hands in the Sea before buying, but I'm watching it closely. Will check out the others (and I'm a bit ashamed I haven't already since I'm a bit of a Wallace fanboy). Thanks!

I just filmed a video review of it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/109420/hands-sea/bonding-boa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
War of 1812

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943

Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set

Twilight Struggle

1960: The Making of the President

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

Manoeuvre

A House Divided

Warriors of God
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue?devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, just awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have lots to look through (and inevitably buy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
If player count isn't super important, definitely check out Wir sind das Volk! and probably anything else from Histogame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1714: The Case of the Catalans
Popular Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
If I can impose with a question to someone who has and loves both Quartermaster General and the newer Peloponnesian War, do you feel it's worth owning both? Or if I have "original recipe" QC is the newer one less essential?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
1812: The Invasion of Canada and 1775: Rebellion are my current favorite games, with Quartermaster General a close second.

I'll snag 879: Vikings – The Invasions of England and 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War as soon as they are released. And I already have (and also love) Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War.

I love the complexity level, player counts, Euro mechanisms, and play lengths that these games offer.

So what else would you suggest?

Love these games as well. I have no problem playing war games all along the complexity spectrum, but I love what these titles bring to the table. I got excited as well when I saw 879 and 1754 at GenCon. Can't wait for them to come out.

That said, I've also enjoyed these games in the relatively same spectrum:
War and Peace
Hundred Days 20
Mare Nostrum: Empires
Wilderness Empires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just delved into a Columbia block game for the first time after years of hex and counter. My friend and I enjoyed Julius Caesar a lot. Can't speak for the others, but there are several of these titles that get very good reviews. We plan on another game of Julius Caesar tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions already. I'd heartily second the suggestion of A Few Acres of Snow. I was less enthused about the Wallace/Treefrog wargames on Waterloo & Gettysburg. I still kept the latter, but sold off the former.

The point-to-point Columbia block games are a good next step. Quebec 1759, Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, and War of 1812 are worth a look. The latter, especially, might be interesting since you've already played the Academy Games title on that same war. You might enjoy seeing how another company, designer, and system tackled the same subject. I find I learn even more by getting to do a "compare & contrast" in my head with these games.

Similarly, Washington's War would offer a good alternative to 1775 that you've already enjoyed.

To tiptoe into hexmap wargaming, I'd recommend the Napoleon 20 series. If you can still find it, Fading Glory is a great production and introduction to this kind of wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
If you can still find it, Fading Glory is a great production and introduction to this kind of wargaming.

If you can't find it, there are plenty of other Napoleonic 20 games in the series to choose from. Just sayin'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

How about Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the fine suggestions made already, the following should fit your criteria:

For a Euro-feel wargame, or wargame-feel Euro:

1944: Race to the Rhine

For something more akin to the Ares games you have:

Arnhem '44

Attack!

Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge

Axis & Allies: D-Day

Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal

Memoir '44

Napoleon's War: The 100 Days

Tide Of Iron - family of games

For wargames that use cards - not card-driven - that might fit:

Battle for Stalingrad

Frontline: D-Day

The Kaiser's Pirates

Last Front: The Strategy Card Game

Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare - with expansions

Panzer General: Allied Assault - also East Front game

Spearpoint 1943 - with expansions

Not sure how to categorize:

D-Day Dice

Duel in the Dark - especially with expansions

Manoeuvre

A step-up in complexity:

Churchill

There are some wonderful block games:

Commands & Colors - family of games

HoldFast - family of games

Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83

War of 1812

A little more of traditional, old-school wargames but would fit your criteria:

Anzio/Cassino

Mercury/Market Garden

Victory in the Pacific

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.