OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The phase summary states:

Quote:
PHASE 1
* L trains are available

PHASE 2
Phase 2 starts when the first L train is converted to a 2 train, or the first 2 train is purchased outright.

If only L trains are available, how can a 2 train be purchased outright?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I believe "L trains are available" is meant to imply that you can purchase either side of the L/2.

However, I think it would be pretty unlikely that a minor (which would be all that exists in Phase 1) would end up buying a 2 outright before someone upgraded an L to a 2. Minors in Phase 1 only start with $100, and such a minor would have to buy an L, then save up $120 before any other minor converted an L to a 2, right? I can't see that that would be very likely to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Henn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. As Darin says, because the minor train limit is 2, a minor could decline to upgrade their L to a 2 (after acquiring 80 in their treasury) and instead buy a 2 as a second train for 120 once they have 120 in their treasury. I have done this before, but the 2s were broken by another company before I bought mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
gameon39481 wrote:
Right. As Darin says, because the minor train limit is 2, a minor could decline to upgrade their L to a 2 (after acquiring 80 in their treasury) and instead buy a 2 as a second train for 120 once they have 120 in their treasury. I have done this before, but the 2s were broken by another company before I bought mine.

The game is in phase 1 until a 2 train is purchased or an L train is converted to a 2 train.
The game is in phase 2 from then until a 3 train is purchased etc.
The phase summary table on Page 5 clearly states that phase 2 starts when an L is converted OR when a 2 is purchased outright.
Some of the high paying minors, if floated early, can indeed afford to buy a 2 outright, having declined to upgrade their L to a 2. They will then be in the glorious position of running a 2 and an L for loads of money. In my experience, this is not uncommon.
There is nothing in the rules preventing the first active 2 train in the game to be purchased outright in this manner, rather than arrive as a converted L train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. The phase chart would have been clearer if it said "L and 2 trains are available" since the word "available" implies "available for purchase."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.