42% of Goal | left

Support:

Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-posted: Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt and Castle Ravenloft.

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about getting into this game system for a while now. At the moment I am on the fence. Let me say why.

Reviews here on BGG and on YouTube are very detailed and extensive, and show a range of opinions on the game. I am not foolish enough to think this series of games will be either embraced or shunned by all; reviews do, to whatever degree, reflect the reviewer's personal preferences and such.

From what I can discern, the game is fun for many, and the components are plentiful and of good quality (if some of the map tiles may be said to be uninspired though functional).

I am not fussed about the graphic images of the cards; I can see from YouTube that they are generally lacklustre, but functional.

My reservation is that the game is largely a fight-or-flight experience (please correct me if I am wrong here) and outside of combat, little else is on offer. It is certainly not going to offer me any appreciable role-playing experience.

What I am wondering is whether the system would lend itself to an owner being able to develop it further and add more features and eventually designing their own scenarios or even a campaign. For example, making up their own character cards rather than the ones that come with the game(s), and basically wanting to expand the system using their own cards and rules.

As it stands, it would seem to be a streamlined game system, but does it have the fundamental potential to build it up into something more feature rich and hence enable a richer game system/experience?

I am hoping that those with experience of playing the game - whether they have come to enjoy it or not - will be able to put forward their thoughts on whether the basics of the system used by the game would lend themselves to someone wanting to expand/develop it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own a lots of Descent stuff, i assume you tryed the app for that too "road to legend"?

your not getting alot diffrent in this set..

bland tiles in comparison to descent but easier to constuct as there all the same shape..

both offer a good variety of monsters, D&D maybe a little more so.. unless you bought all of descents add on.. if so then even that a win for descent

there is no Roleplaying in this game..not even skill checks.. descent does has skill checks

d&D does have a simlper 1d20 fight system, rather the the fiddly multicolored dice descent uses..

most monsters in D&D are 1 hit point.. so again simpler and quicker..

if your making your own characters cards and stories .. well you all ready have all the components in the descent line..

most monster tactics cards are not to hard to make.. and don't really stretch to far from move to the closest hero and attack..

other BGG users have made mods, campaign rules and levels past 2...

I did enjoy D&D for quite a while and did get all its expansions, but i could used all the components in regular D&D and enjoyed painting the models too..its does some with great Large dragon models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out the NinjaDorg/GeckoTH ROOM EVENT and CAMPAIGN EVENT cards? ROOM EVENTS features a situation resolved with a die roll the first time a named tile is entered; while CAMPAIGN EVENTS details what happens to the heroes in between each adventure. They come with a set of rules for leveling characters up to level 5 and scaling the monsters accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, the only way to play this game is to use Castle Ravenloft Reversion - Part Boardgame, Part 4th edition D&D: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679173/castle-ravenloft-reve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.