Hide
12 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Two questions about the miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Semmen
msg tools
1. How large are the Monsters relative to the Greater Gods? Sandy Petersen said the Juggernaut was 75mm (about 3 inches) tall, while someone else said some of the big gods were 9 inches tall. I'm picturing Ragnaglar using the Jugernaut as a frisbee...

2. About how heavy are the Greater Gods? I'm not familiar with modern (non-lead) miniatures, so wonder whether these gods' models have a decent amount of heft or whether Orlanth is going to blow away in the breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Welling
msg tools
I have not seen any of these models in flesh, so I just talk about what I have heard or how things seems in photoes etc. There are some comparative photoes available, but you need Cthulhu Wars models to make use of those.

Fact is that Monsters have differing size, as does the Greater Gods. Like in CW you had King in Yellow and Cthulhu and those others between them.

Earth Greater Gods are the largest models in game, in size of 9 inch and huge in volume and mass.
Probably smallest is Thed from chaos. She is about 2 inch (about double in size to normal broo) Similar size as King in Yellow in CW.
Malia is wide and long, but not having height. In pictures she seems shorter than Thed.

One of the largest of Monster box models is Mother of Monsters, that has been said to be "about Cthulhu height". In pictures she looks like 5-6 inch. Which is less than Cthulhu with wings.
Black Dragon is placed top of mountain in the arts, so I expect it to be high in size.

Skyterror and Brown Dragon seems like similar height to Juggernaut.
Cwim is most likely about same height as Thed.

Because most sea greatures are short but wide, I expect Leviathan also having short height.

Androgeus is told to be a normal human size in myths of Glorantha, so She-He is likely about 1-1,5 inch and the base, I expect 2-2,5 Inch. (posses both sex and is able to carry childs and make women pregnant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
1. I expect the Monsters to be in the same range as the greater gods or even bigger maybe ?

2. Based on the Cthulhu Wars minis, no worries to have there. They have a large base and quite some weight to them. Its not cheap hollow plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decarcassor wrote:
2. Based on the Cthulhu Wars minis, no worries to have there. They have a large base and quite some weight to them. Its not cheap hollow plastic.

This.

They are a very good weight for plastic. I don't think you'll find any moving due to breezes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kennelly
msg tools
mb
The monsters will likely be partially hollow plastic. As an example, the Cthulhu model from Cthulhu Wars has a hollow base, but I believe the body of the figure is solid plastic.

Really thick areas (such as the base on Ragnaglar) are also likely to be hollow, but if the previous models are anything to go by I suspect these will all be super solid.

I don't have the link to use as reference, though maybe someone from team Petersen can chime in, but I do remember reading something that said the monsters will all more-or-less be in scale with the great old ones from Cthulhu wars, having base sizes roughly equivalent to Tsathoggua.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Welling
msg tools
fing_casual wrote:

I don't have the link to use as reference, though maybe someone from team Petersen can chime in, but I do remember reading something that said the monsters will all more-or-less be in scale with the great old ones from Cthulhu wars, having base sizes roughly equivalent to Tsathoggua.

to have models in 28mm scale was one point here. but surely models like Juggernaut, a rallong city of 1000 people, must be in their "own" scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28mm scale means that a normal human is 28mm tall. Also we definitely made some things a lot smaller than they should be. Because technically the Juggernaut is several miles tall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
Darren23 wrote:
2. About how heavy are the Greater Gods? I'm not familiar with modern (non-lead) miniatures, so wonder whether these gods' models have a decent amount of heft or whether Orlanth is going to blow away in the breeze.

Do you expect to play outdoors a lot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
SpectrumDT wrote:
Darren23 wrote:

I was waiting for that...

No, I just wanted to know that the models were solid. A God as light as tissue paper wouldn't be as evocative to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
linkthestink wrote:
28mm scale means that a normal human is 28mm tall. Also we definitely made some things a lot smaller than they should be. Because technically the Juggernaut is several miles tall.

But 3 inches tall? That seems small for something that's dragging everything around with it. Thed also seems small but I'm not familiar enough with the mythology to know if her size is specified. Are you able to provide insight into why these sizes were chosen? (And why the Juggernaut's width isn't half its diameter?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Margaret Walker
Australia
Moe
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren23 wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
Darren23 wrote:

I was waiting for that...

No, I just wanted to know that the models were solid. A God as light as tissue paper wouldn't be as evocative to me.

PG figures have decent weight and considering the size of the figures if they were pewter as some of my dragons are you would damage your wrist trying to play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Darren23 wrote:
1. How large are the Monsters relative to the Greater Gods? Sandy Petersen said the Juggernaut was 75mm (about 3 inches) tall, while someone else said some of the big gods were 9 inches tall. I'm picturing Ragnaglar using the Jugernaut as a frisbee...

The Titans are 9 inches tall, though about ~2 inches of that is weapon. Average height tends to be 6-7 inches for the bigger figures.

Quote:

Cthulhu is 120g, Shub-Niggurath is 90g, so probably about 100-110g average. They're not heavy (would be problematic for a board game), but they feel substantial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.