$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: How important/relevant are the exclusives and promos in actual play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaganishu Khan
Austria
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I wonder how important the promos are to actual play. Do they add significant diversity and/or gameplay options? Are they well-balanced, or badly balanced? Over- or underpowered?

I am wondering how important hunting for these extras is, and would love insight from someone who owns the KS.

thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, the promos are just extra factory / encounter cards?

I would say it's 98% likely you'd never even notice having these cards or not, until you have a dozen plays under your belt. And even then, it's simply a little more variety - nothing more powerful or less powerful than the stock of cards that come with the core game.

Stonemaier are certainly a company that know to add very peripheral / non-essentinal promo items to games. I wish more did so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
From memory, the promos are just extra factory / encounter cards?

I would say it's 98% likely you'd never even notice having these cards or not, until you have a dozen plays under your belt. And even then, it's simply a little more variety - nothing more powerful or less powerful than the stock of cards that come with the core game.

Stonemaier are certainly a company that know to add very peripheral / non-essentinal promo items to games. I wish more did so.

This.

I have the Premium condition and I could not tell you what cards are the promos. So I doubt if they were removed I'd miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khaunshar wrote:
Hi everyone,

I wonder how important the promos are to actual play. Do they add significant diversity and/or gameplay options? Are they well-balanced, or badly balanced? Over- or underpowered?

I am wondering how important hunting for these extras is, and would love insight from someone who owns the KS.

thanks a lot.

They're of 0 importance. They just add a bit of variety from the random card draws. You won't even miss them or notice them. Just cool to have for collectors like us, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell lots of accessories on some webpage so I assumed ~all was there.

But I don't know. Or maybe it's the collectors edition stuff they sell there and there actually was some exclusive of some sort. Do he really do exclusives?

I have a collectors edition which I haven't opened but I don't even know if the accessories + retail version is even more expensive than the KS version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the three extra power dials promotional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the promos are listed on this page: http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-scythe/

Nothing is exclusive.

Do they add significant diversity and/or gameplay options?

--I wouldn't say significant, but if you play Scythe a lot, the more encounter, Factory, and objective cards, the better.

Are they well-balanced, or badly balanced? Over- or underpowered?

--As much as anything else in the game, yes. They were designed and playtested alongside everything else in Scythe--it's not like they were last-minute untested additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
All of the promos are listed on this page: http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-scythe/

Nothing is exclusive.

Do they add significant diversity and/or gameplay options?

--I wouldn't say significant, but if you play Scythe a lot, the more encounter, Factory, and objective cards, the better.

Are they well-balanced, or badly balanced? Over- or underpowered?

--As much as anything else in the game, yes. They were designed and playtested alongside everything else in Scythe--it's not like they were last-minute untested additions.

Just want to say I really appreciate this. Kickstarter exclusives are idiotic. Why would you design something that only a small percentage will get to enjoy? At most, give a discount on the items or give them out for free so that the backers feel special but content shouldn't be locked away. Not everyone is checking the forums and kickstarter every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.