$18.00
The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 119.84

7,229 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions from a relative beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lea
msg tools
I've only fairly recently started playing, and so am still relatively new to the game.

Is it correct that unless a Possession granting a bonus and or/ability list some specific restriction (most obviously the 'once per round' restriction), you can use all of the bonuses/abilities of your possessions as many times, and in whatever combination you like? So, are the following correct?:

- You can use an item in what test early in an encounter, and then (assuming of course, that it offers a bonus in the relevant skill, later in the same encounter

- I'm facing 3 monsters, and so have to fight 3 separate Combat encounters. I have an item with gives a +1 to Will, and a +2 to Strength, a spell which offers +3 Strength, and another item which offers only +1 Strength, but allow me to reroll a die on the Strength test. On all 3 encounters, I can use the Will bonus from the item on the horror test, use the spell for the Strength test, and reroll a die on the Strength test if necessary.

Also, if I have a bonus to Lore which only applies to Spell Effects, does this also apply to the Reckoning Effect of the spell?

Thanks in anticipation of any help/advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dante miraglia
Argentina
flag msg tools
you are correct sir
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelea wrote:
You can use an item in what test early in an encounter, and then (assuming of course, that it offers a bonus in the relevant skill, later in the same encounter
I'm not sure I understand this example, but you're correct in your other assumptions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Thanks for the responses.

haroth9842 wrote:
stevelea wrote:
You can use an item in what test early in an encounter, and then (assuming of course, that it offers a bonus in the relevant skill, later in the same encounter
I'm not sure I understand this example, but you're correct in your other assumptions.


Well, I suppose I was thinking mainly of those Encounters which the game classifies as 'Complex', like Otherworld Encounters, which comprise different stages and (usually) require taking more than one Test; an initial one, and then another in a different Skill depending on whether the first was passed or failed. So say for example, you have to take a Lore test followed by an Observation test, and you have the 'Agent of Secrets' Asset. I'm presuming that it could be used in both.

Also, and I'm sure this is being pedantic, but just to make it absolutely clear. In my example above regarding Combat encounters, I was of course talking about moving to a space which has 3 monsters on it and having to fight 3 Combat Encounters during the SAME ROUND. I'm still presuming that the Possessions I mentioned can be used in the way I described?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelea wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

haroth9842 wrote:
stevelea wrote:
You can use an item in what test early in an encounter, and then (assuming of course, that it offers a bonus in the relevant skill, later in the same encounter
I'm not sure I understand this example, but you're correct in your other assumptions.


Well, I suppose I was thinking mainly of those Encounters which the game classifies as 'Complex', like Otherworld Encounters, which comprise different stages and (usually) require taking more than one Test; an initial one, and then another in a different Skill depending on whether the first was passed or failed. So say for example, you have to take a Lore test followed by an Observation test, and you have the 'Agent of Secrets' Asset. I'm presuming that it could be used in both.

Also, and I'm sure this is being pedantic, but just to make it absolutely clear. In my example above regarding Combat encounters, I was of course talking about moving to a space which has 3 monsters on it and having to fight 3 Combat Encounters during the SAME ROUND. I'm still presuming that the Possessions I mentioned can be used in the way I described?


Yes
If the possession doesn't say that it can only be used once a round, it can be used in every test that applies.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Right that's very clear, thanks for your help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Does the 'Intervene' spell allow you to add an EXTRA +3 Strength to any bonuses the Investigator your assisting might have? Or, does the rule regarding only being able to apply one bonus to a test still apply here, so that the spell is really only useful in assisting Investigators who either don't have a Strength bonus, or only +1 or +2?

Also, in my last game, I had 3 out of 4 Investigators Defeated in a single mythos phase, and the remaining one Devoured!!! And I still won wow... or at least I think I did. I had solved the last Mystery, the Doom Track wasn't at 0 (it was 3, for the record), all 4 'players' (that's me - I'm playing solo) could have theoretically chosen a new Investigator and so weren't 'Eliminated' as per the definition in the rules, so this is still a win right? It didn't feel much like one - but I thought it made for a good story; the world had been saved, but the 4 heroes had tragically given up their lives for that to happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelea wrote:
Does the 'Intervene' spell allow you to add an EXTRA +3 Strength to any bonuses the Investigator your assisting might have? Or, does the rule regarding only being able to apply one bonus to a test still apply here, so that the spell is really only useful in assisting Investigators who either don't have a Strength bonus, or only +1 or +2?

It's your best +X bonus, period, no matter what the source. Intervene is just another +X bonus, although one that can be applied across distances.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.