Subject: Would you pay for a set unique train cards (like Marklin)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
The first TtR I got was Marklin and one of the things I liked best -and still like best- is the unique train cards which have a different car on every card. I was surprised to find that as I acquired the other TtR base games every card of a given color was the same. I've proceeded to use the Marklin train cards (minus the 4+ engines) with my other T2R games just for the pleasing aesthetic value.

I don't know if others have the same affection for Marklin cards but I know there are many who appreciate the aesthetic nature of games so my questions are these these:

-Would you buy an extra set of train cards where every train was different?

-How much would you pay for such a set?

I know I would. Even as I own the Marklin set, I'd definitely buy a set of unique USA train cards. I'd probably be willing to spend $10-15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The normal deck is just fine. No need for me to spend extra money on a deck like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sure it's a nice touch, but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
I would enjoy that, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $5 for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
I know I would. Even as I own the Marklin set, I'd definitely buy a set of unique USA train cards. I'd probably be willing to spend $10-15.

I wouldn't mind a set either. Someone with some skills could probably put one together fairly easily and set it up with one of the print on demand services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
The first TtR I got was Marklin and one of the things I liked best -and still like best- is the unique train cards which have a different car on every card. I was surprised to find that as I acquired the other TtR base games every card of a given color was the same. I've proceeded to use the Marklin train cards (minus the 4+ engines) with my other T2R games just for the pleasing aesthetic value.

I don't know if others have the same affection for Marklin cards but I know there are many who appreciate the aesthetic nature of games so my questions are these these:

I think it's negative for the simple and elegant clarity of the game, with a deck where identical cards look different. For me and my regular gaming friends, however, it would be nice with such a deck. That is, I could pay the equivalent to 10 US-dollars for it, but I wouldn't recommend Days of Wonder to introduce it in the regular editions of any TtR version – not even Märklin, actually.

However, why not have it as a cute addition like the ugly orange pumpkin train car set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
IIRC, this makes the game different, and you're fine with it? Regular is 12 of each color and 14 locos. "IIRC" because Marklin had 1 less of the regular colors.

eilif wrote:

No. I liked how Marklin had different art within each color/type, but as a function over form person, I'd rather just stick with what's included and save the money.

eilif wrote:
No.

However, I can see some folks doing this just to replace worn out cards. It would have to compete with Ticket To Ride 1910, which also gives you better Destination Tickets for the US map.

I've heard of folks doing this with Dominion via Dominion Base Cards... the Copper, Silver, Estates, Treasure, Victory, all had different art between the types. Replace base game worn cards (if not just using the "foundation cards" from Dominion Intrigue, and as a bonus, it also came with Platinum and Colony, letting people access that without buying Prosperity expansion.

eilif wrote:

Ticket To Ride 1910 was $20. On one hand, that included (better) Destination Tickets for the US map, and it was marked improvement over the smaller sized cards from the base, US map. OTOH, some folks ended up paying as little as $13 after OLGS discounts.

AFAIK, this can work, but it can't be just for the train cards. They'd need to add another features. Ditto with 1912... it had improved Destination Tickets for the Europe map, but also included the Warehouse/depot module that works with any TtR game with a map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:
IIRC, this makes the game different, and you're fine with it? Regular is 12 of each color and 14 locos. "IIRC" because Marklin had 1 less of the regular colors...

...AFAIK, this can work, but it can't be just for the train cards. They'd need to add another features. Ditto with 1912... it had improved Destination Tickets for the Europe map, but also included the Warehouse/depot module that works with any TtR game with a map.

I haven't noticed any notable difference between playing with the Marklin cards. A couple more Locos proportionally hasn't seemed to change anything. Also, no one I've played with has had any trouble with the different pictures as each card is very clearly a given color.

I see your point about the benefit for it being more than just pretty cards. If it came with a new mechanic that would be nice for some folks, though I often tend to skip new mechanics in expansions of games. Never did see bother with passengers and tickets with Marklin.

As for price, I think I only paid around $12-13 for 1910. We'll probably never see fancy cards, if only because 1910 and 1912 would have been the logical places to put such a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
IIRC, this makes the game different, and you're fine with it? Regular is 12 of each color and 14 locos. "IIRC" because Marklin had 1 less of the regular colors...

...AFAIK, this can work, but it can't be just for the train cards. They'd need to add another features. Ditto with 1912... it had improved Destination Tickets for the Europe map, but also included the Warehouse/depot module that works with any TtR game with a map.

I haven't noticed any notable difference between playing with the Marklin cards. A couple more Locos proportionally hasn't seemed to change anything. Also, no one I've played with has had any trouble with the different pictures as each card is very clearly a given color.

My comments here were strictly regarding the distribution of cards. Recognizing which card is what shouldn't be an issue. Also, Even if you can't use color (some color blind folks wouldn't be able to), I've told people who did get confused by some of the different art within a color to just look at the symbol in the corner. For example, in ALL of the TtR games, red is also a "fire" icon, white is also a cross or '+' sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.