New Bedford» Forums » General

Subject: This game is tight! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4-player game of New Bedford today, with 2 new players, one who'd played it twice, and me (I've played it maybe 8 times?). Final scores 24-23-22-22. One of the new players edged me out for the win. The player who had played twice before made a mistake in the last round that he thought cost him a point or so, which would have made it 24-23-23-22.

It was definitely fun for all of us. :) This one is a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player this weekend and the score was very tight

Its a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad you're all enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - my first play was the opposite. Played two player, both of us veteran gamers, but new to this title.

My opponent about doubled my score, mainly because, he always deployed his boats after me, and each bag draw produced one 4vp whale, and one or two right whales for 2 vp each.

Of course he always picked the 4vp, always leaving me with the 2vp every time. There was nothing I could do about it. Even when I delayed launching another boat, he would delay one more turn, just to get behind me. There were not enough rounds to correct the situation. Almost feels like it should be an 18 round game.

Of course I will try to mitigate this next game, but to me it seems like there should be a building that lets you head for shore quicker to reset your launch, like an opposite to the lighthouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same thing. Also, the solo mode is very impressive. Each captain plays differently, and I've noticed very comparable scores here (I have won, but I probably cheated along the way modest )

So happy I stuck with this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Interesting - my first play was the opposite. Played two player, both of us veteran gamers, but new to this title.

My opponent about doubled my score, mainly because, he always deployed his boats after me, and each bag draw produced one 4vp whale, and one or two right whales for 2 vp each.

Of course he always picked the 4vp, always leaving me with the 2vp every time. There was nothing I could do about it. Even when I delayed launching another boat, he would delay one more turn, just to get behind me. There were not enough rounds to correct the situation. Almost feels like it should be an 18 round game.

Of course I will try to mitigate this next game, but to me it seems like there should be a building that lets you head for shore quicker to reset your launch, like an opposite to the lighthouse.

you choose when you deploy your boats though. i agree that deploying later can be a good strategy but it also means you get fewer total shots at the whaling phase.

in general though i agree with the tightness. in our last game four players tied at 26 and we had to go to the 2nd tie-breaker to determine a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

you choose when you deploy your boats though. i agree that deploying later can be a good strategy but it also means you get fewer total shots at the whaling phase.

If you wait until round 9 or 10 then yes, but no one would do that; but if you literally waited to launch your boats each and every round after your opponent (in a two player game where every boat goes to 6 food line), then you are guaranteed to get first choice in every whaling phase of the entire game that you participate in. The only phases you would miss out on would be the round your opponent launched, which would be 2-3 at the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but what you're describing is a game of chicken though right? if you don't want your opponent to launch after you then wait until they launch?

i've not played the game 2 player so perhaps it's a bigger deal there but in 4 player games even if you launch last you typically won't be in the top spot very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
If you wait until round 9 or 10 then yes, but no one would do that; but if you literally waited to launch your boats each and every round after your opponent (in a two player game where every boat goes to 6 food line), then you are guaranteed to get first choice in every whaling phase of the entire game that you participate in. The only phases you would miss out on would be the round your opponent launched, which would be 2-3 at the most.

Sounds like a perfect time to build and use the Lighthouse to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ENugent wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

Sounds like a perfect time to build and use the Lighthouse to me.

Yeah i realized what the building could be used for too late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I agree with Elizabeth... the Lighthouse was designed with your situation in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even still, there is nothing stopping your opponent from using it immediately after its built, then you are back to where you were always whaling second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Even still, there is nothing stopping your opponent from using it immediately after its built, then you are back to where you were always whaling second.

build it in a round where you go after him with your last action. he won't be able to use it and you'll have first move in the following round. at least i assume first player rotates in a 2 player game.

everything in the game is a choice. if it's important to you to launch later than your opponent, you can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense here, as I realize you are trying to help with that suggestion. But the counter to that is for the opponent to always launch two rounds behind, thus lighthouse is then nullified as they can always use it themselves the following round to create a buffer again.

I know there are many other variables, but that seems an easy picking strategy that is so easy it can happen on accident. A few founds of first choice in two player whaling can mean a large gap in points.

It would be cool if there was a way for a boat to collect more than one token if close to shore. The would mitigate the first picker usually getting double the points of the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I often like to get one ship out really early, to either the 3 or 4, which encourages the other player to come out after me, and then my first ship is ready to send out again after the other player chases me. It's usually a lot more efficient to get resources by that time, too.

I like the Lighthouse as a defensive strategy, too. Build it and send your ship out. If the other player waits, you get first pick for an extra round. If they don't wait, you get first pick, too. Hopefully a win-win for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a four-player game last night and it ended 19/22/25/25 – the tie-break winner, with 11 whales, didn’t have a single of the VP-buildings, but hauled two sperm whales quite a few bowheads.

I attempted a Tryworks/Counting House combo, and went exclusively after right whales, but it only amounted to a 22-point third place.

We had also thrown in the four Promo tiles, and all but the Ambergris got drawn. Both the the blue and the white whale appeared in round 11, where the blue led to the hardest AP of the night (”Do I have the money and is it worth it, compared to hauling in another, potential, big one in the last round?!?”) and I sacrificed my ship, and right whale-focus, and got ol’ Moby, with the extra VP-gain from him being a single point – but hey, in a game this tight ☺.

Still a very tight game and quite different whether there is 2, 3 or 4 players. I like the way the 4 player game forced people to use each others buildings more and the it looks pretty neat when there are 6 ships out at sea at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.