Hide
17 Posts

Ra» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get this game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: this_is_my_blog,_right? [+] [View All]
HelloIm Mazmo
msg tools
I dont know exaclty why... but i'm still on the fence with this one. Is this really a no brainer ? I mean, I checked all the review all accross the internet and still I cannot see myself be ENTIRELY sure that I must buy it.

Please convince me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer...

"RA! RA! RA!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
#1... It's a Knizia game.
#2... It's an auction game... with press-your-luck.
#3... There is set collection.

like Tonks, I would say go for it.
But if you are on the fence, try the IOS app first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still my favorite pure auction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, get it. One of the first games I played over a decade ago and still in my top 10. Just incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razhimkar wrote:
I mean, I checked all the review all accross the internet and still I cannot see myself be ENTIRELY sure that I must buy it.

Such investigation will indeed tell you that it is widely respected (and over much time), but will never answer the question of whether it is suited to you

Which pathway will produce the most agony ? a) Continued wavering or b) following through and finding disappointment.

(and even the latter provides comfort in the knowledge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my all-time favourite games. I will play it ANYtime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar dilemma this weekend. There is a used Uberplay edition and a new FF edition on the shelf at my FLGS. Both are $60.

I much preferred the Mayfair edition of T&E over the new FF release of the same.

How is the Uberplay version compared to the FF one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

If I have Medici, which is also a RK "pure auction" game, is there any reason to own Ra as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is: "Yes!"

Seriously, it is a short game with simple rules but also with depth. If you get it, printing a player mat is an absolute must. It's almost criminal that none were included with the game. Matthew Frederick's player mat is my favorite here on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HelloIm Mazmo
msg tools
I listened to you all, and for the gods and glory I just unpacked my game ! Can't wait to play it

Thanks alot for your comment ^^!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
DanKD wrote:

If I have Medici, which is also a RK "pure auction" game, is there any reason to own Ra as well?

Yes. Ra and Medici are very different games. In Medici, timing is important, but the game is driven by pricing more than timing. It's also ideal at 5-6; I don't like it with fewer players than that.

In Ra, everyone's possible bids are open. You know what everyone else can bid. The game is all about timing. You are trying to force people to pay more than they want to, or put a track up for auction before anyone is willing to pay for it so you can take it with a low bid. There are many ways to score points (as opposed to Medici's two ways), so everyone has their eyes on the auction track, hoping for the tile they need. Ra is best with three or four players. (I'd still play with five, but at five, I'd probably choose Medici.)

If forced, I would choose Ra over Medici, but Medici is also a fantastic game, and I love both of them. (Ra is in my top ten; Medici rests just outside.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^Thanks for the breakdown!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ra is one of my favorite games of all time. There is nothing bad about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexankh wrote:
DanKD wrote:

No, unless you regularly play with 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
alexankh wrote:
DanKD wrote:

No, unless you regularly play with 3 players.

This depends on the number of games you want and can afford. They are quite different, and there are many good reasons to own both. So in that sense I disagree with the quoted poster quite strongly. But if you, for whatever reason, need to manage your collection, then they are both auction games and you may want other sorts of games before a second one. Of course if auction games are what you really like, these are two of the best.

(Personally, if I were forced to only keep one, it would be Ra.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.