Subject: Are we playing it wrong? It does not seem "fast-paced".... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received my copy yesterday and played a VERY LONG game. I was expecting a 15-minutes session, not a 45-minutes one.

A couple of questions just to check that we've played it correctly:

1. Cards that can regenerate Authority can help you get over 50 authority points right?

2. When bases and outposts are destroyed, they go back to your discard pile and not to the scraped cards pile?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I've received my copy yesterday and played a VERY LONG game. I was expecting a 15-minutes session, not a 45-minutes one.

A couple of questions just to check that we've played it correctly:

1. Cards that can regenerate Authority can help you get over 50 authority points right?

2. When bases and outposts are destroyed, they go back to your discard pile and not to the scraped cards pile?

Thanks!

Both assumptions are correct.

Don't worry, once you get used to the game and know the cards by heart (happens faster than you can imagine), session time will go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matloob Qureshi
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
I've had the same experience. After repeated plays, the time for a game has gone down from 45-60 minutes to around 30 minutes. We've never managed a 15 minute game with cards.

We just switched to playing the phone app and can finish a game in 10-15 minutes.

It's a great game but we find the card interactions are too complicated, keeping track of authority with cards is clunky (we now use a pair of 10-sided dice each). The app handles all of this for you and tells you how much you can buy and how much damage you can do etc. This greatly speeds up decision making.

It's also possible that we're not optimising our moves and taking too long choosing cards to purchase though.

Anyway, as Thomas said, your interpretation of the rules is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

Yeah, I think we will give up on the authority cards and switch to the good ol' pen& paper because it is horrible to keep track of authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Talley
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another scoring option that works really well. I sleeved mine and they work great.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112899/authority-tracking-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use threat trackers from The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - which go up to conveniently large numbers (probably 99).

It's much faster to just swivel a dial than it is dealing with the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a smartphone or tablet, try the Star Realms app. It plays the rules perfectly pretty much If the way you play disagrees with the app, then you know you aren't playing it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
If you have a smartphone or tablet, try the Star Realms app. It plays the rules perfectly pretty much :) If the way you play disagrees with the app, then you know you aren't playing it correctly.

This is not quite true. There are rules differences between the physical game and the app. In the physical game, you choose when to trigger an ally ability on a card; in the app, it's triggered immediately when the second card is played. That changes the best order of play in some circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Geier
msg tools
The length of the game may also differ by the playstyle:
-Many green and red cards-> fast game
-Many bases and blue -> slow game

For example I played a 5 player game, where at some point I had 12 bases in play and the only other living player too, we played around 10 more turn each until we had a winner, cause we spawned an endless amount of bases.

15 min would be a very short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OP, a quick question to you: if your opponent has an outpost in play, you know that you have to first destroy this and then go for the opponent authority or his base?
And another one: if your opponent only has bases in play, you know that you can attack him directly and ignore his bases? I have a feeling that you tried to destroy both his bases and outposts and then attack him.
Outpost - black shield
Bases - silver shield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emanuel, no, we did not make any mistake regarding the bases-outposts-direct attack rules. Both of us got a lot of cards regenerating Authority right from the start, so this might have contributed to prolonging the game, though...45 minutes nonetheless is a LOT of time, and it was a bit disappointing. I especially purchased Star Realms for a quick game whenever I do not have the time to play a much meatier game. But in 45 minutes I can play Legendary or Seasons or even Imperial Settlers, games that are much more interesting.
At least it was cheap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Once you know the rules and cards well, it does go pretty fast. There are combinations of cards that make it faster or slower, though. If there are lots of blue and yellow cards it will take longer. If there are lots of green and red cards it will go faster. 20ish minutes has been my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Sometimes there are a lot more defensive cards available and the game goes quite long. My first few games were an hour each, and then we had a string of 10-20 minute games. So it definitely depends on what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
That can happen when both players play very defensively.

As you get better, you'll see when it's time to buy more damage inducing cards and games get quicker. Usually below 30 minutes, 15 minutes is a really short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
For tournaments, we have a 30-minute time limit for one-game matches.

At GenCon, with 35 matches in the first three rounds, I would say about 3 matches went to time, and maybe 3 or 4 finished within 15 minutes.

And this is a tournament (our third largest), with most players playing fairly efficiently. So I feel like if you're starting out, and you haven't started taking some shortcuts just yet, you're about where you should be with regards to timing.

There's no question you'll get faster. Better? That's another story.

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great option for scoring is the app designed to track scoring for Epic, another White Wizard game. Simply search the app store for Epic Score keeping or something like that. The app is a free download.

I use the app to the side of the play field to keep score when playing with physical cards. The numbers are big and visible to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I've also found that at first, players focus on building up their engine, and buy lots of money cards and bases. As soon as one player decides to start playing the game more offensively from the start, the games get much shorter, because (in my experience) going aggressive will beat out building up a strong financial engine most of the time. If you've cycled through your deck 2 times already and you are still buying lots of purchasing power, you will lose to most experienced players, who will see you buying a lot of those cards and concentrate on buying anything that does damage.

If you play the game as if it were a quicker game (focusing on damage cards, avoiding all purchasing and scrapping cards after the 2nd time through your deck, and buying as many bases/defensive cards as you can), it will end up being a quicker game.

Obviously this doesn't always apply, but I've played a few hundred games at least on the app, with about a hundred or so in person, and this has been my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You both bought blue cards and that's why the game was so long. There usually is at least one player who goes for the early agression, and that will make the game much faster.

We never had your problem because our first games were focused on the green cards, which deal very high damage very fast.

I know play blue most of the time, and the games are longer, but they are still wrapped in 20 minutes. I'm a fast player, and my turns usually last 15 seconds. I know what I want, and turns take longer only when there is a lot of stuff to trigger - I build complicated decks I can't keep track of. Worst offender is Ascension: Realms Unraveled where I need dice and tokens to keep track of my resources and activated abilities.

Otherwise, I suspect the game will take a shorter time once you get used to the cards and the different strategies. Star Realms is a game that gets better with repeated plays and expansions. Which is not that common, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marauder Mo

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing I like about the game is that play can move very quickly. One tip might be that your opponent should start their turn immediately upon you making your last action. Then you "clean up" your side of the board (discard ships, draw/shuffle/etc) while he plays out his turn. Sometimes I've found I've finished my turn before my opponent has even drawn their hand.

Side note: don't forget discards are immediate so if you're playing yellow and you're very competitive, you probably want to wait for them to draw their hand before you play. But for friendly games it can wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Yeah, I think we will give up on the authority cards and switch to the good ol' pen& paper because it is horrible to keep track of authority.

Hi, Adelin! If you have an iPhone or iPad, I strongly recommend the Mutility app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mutility-life-counter-for/id...

If you have an Android device, there are similar MtG life counter apps, I'm sure.

Once you play the game a few times, you should be able to get a game down into the 25-30 minute range, I'm sure. I don't think I've played a game of Star Realms in ~15 mins, but my usual opponent and I are slow players.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
I especially purchased Star Realms for a quick game whenever I do not have the time to play a much meatier game. But in 45 minutes I can play Legendary or Seasons or even Imperial Settlers, games that are much more interesting.
At least it was cheap...

Besides cheap, Star Realms is also much more portable than the other games you mentioned, making it ideal for carrying in your jacket pocket or backpack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.