Support:

Bing Hwang Tan
Malaysia
Sungai Dua, Penang
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I've been in this board gaming hobby for almost 5 years now and still actively playing. I've been introduced to the board gaming world by my best pal with 7 Wonders, Saboteur and For Sale. Since then, I have been actively playing and buying board games with my friends. I've also started a FB group and manage to organize gaming sessions with many gamers.

From where I come from, board gaming scene is still rather new and a niche hobby where many have not have seen/heard of designer's board games. Most of them will automatically relate to Monopoly whenever board games are mentioned. I had to 'evangelize' board gaming to many strangers who had shown interest which I managed to win some over to the dark side and some still refrain to join us. Hmph!

However, I noticed a certain pattern on most of those that gets pulled into this hobby have similar occupation or works in the same field. Most of them seems to come from mechanical engineering and IT software engineering backgrounds.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing here? Do you think board gaming specially appeals more to certain group of people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually seems to be stoners, skaters and students into board games. My FLGS is always packed full of people browsing the games, and it's pretty easy to see that it's the 18-30 year old demographic into them. I've never seen a "professional" into board games. Totally depends on where you are from. Here (south Finland), board games are mainstream. Everyone and their grandma has played Twilight Struggle. And if you want a 100% chance of seeing a goth, just go to the FLGS. Goths love board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
donutmagi wrote:

Anybody else experiencing the same thing here? Do you think board gaming specially appeals more to certain group of people?

4 boardgamers, all with a BGG account, here in a 30-strong IT department - and I didn't recruit anyone.

Correlation, but maybe not causality as I started boardgaming way before computers were a thing you could earn a living with.

These days boardgames are the thing I do to get away from computers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanical engineering and IT software engineering backgrounds certainly seem to be correlated to boardgaming in my experience.

But then from my regular gaming group I am the only one in that field and at least 2 of them are hardcore gamers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group spans a range of degrees and occupations: A biologist, a literary sciences graduate working as a school teacher, a priest for the deaf, an engineer turned high school teacher, a physiotherapist turned statistician, a literary sciences graduate working in project management, a secretary with a communications degree, and a molecular biologist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have three people who work in toy libraries, one archivist/records manager (me), a documentalist (my GF), a music teacher, a bioology teacher, an engineer, another archivist, a gardener, a flower shop employee, a locksmith in my groups.

And I don't know everyone's job.

Sooo... No, I don't think so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of the people I know who are hobby gamers come from:
- IT
- Law Enforcement
- Education

However, I can't say if that has more to do with the people I spend time with than the hobby appealing to certain groups. And, I do see a fair amount of hobby gamer variety outside those fields.

With that said, I don't know that anyone I game with is on BGG. It wouldn't surprise me if BGG is heavily weighted to a few different backgrounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IT and Education seem to be the two occupations I run into the most. Saying that, my main group is made up of a teacher, counselor, pastor, engineer, nurse, line foreman, and salesman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you think those who are prone to play board games come holds certain type of occupations?

The various microbadges in the "Profession" category here on BGG might offer some useful information.

This is an example:

mb

Basing any conclusions on the people you observe playing board games might not be valid... "birds of a feather flock together" and all that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no pattern in this other than you probably know a lot of it-people. Humans tend to seek patterns even where there are none. You may aswell try to figure out what accupations usually collects stamps. You can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I could tell. Anything based on my personal experience would have far too small a sample size. Yes, many people I play games with have a science/engineering/technology background but my social circle has a high number of people with those kinds of backgrounds. BGG are probably more likely than average to have a technology background and thus have friends with a technology background so a survey of BGG users is unlikely to be representative.

Razoupaf - great avatar, Lophophanes cristatus I see they are are widespread across Europe, in the UK they are restricted to a small part of Scotland and I've never seen one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anecdotally based on my own gaming group, I would say that there is little correlation with a specific set of occupations. Off the top of my head, our regular players include:

Doctor
Lawyer
2 x Library Assistant
Tax Inspector
2+ x Teacher
Many x Students
Accountant
Finance Director
2 x Pathology Lab Manager
Medical Secretary
Employee of Comic Shop
Police Officer
Technical Model Maker
Something Nebulous in IT Coding
Investment Analyst

A pretty eclectic mix. If anything, if I were looking at correlation I would be more inclined to point at education as the linking factor - the majority of the people I play with are either currently school or university students or have degrees, albeit not necessarily in the field that they work. Of the people listed above, there is only one that I am certain doesn't have a degree and isn't in full time education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I don't think I could tell. Anything based on my personal experience would have far too small a sample size. Yes, many people I play games with have a science/engineering/technology background but my social circle has a high number of people with those kinds of backgrounds. BGG are probably more likely than average to have a technology background and thus have friends with a technology background so a survey of BGG users is unlikely to be representative.

Razoupaf - great avatar, Lophophanes cristatus I see they are are widespread across Europe, in the UK they are restricted to a small part of Scotland and I've never seen one.

Birds :

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thank you I've only seen one in four years, and at a very specific place. Tits are not always easy to observe and to recognize when they aren't blue! I hope you get to observe one someday, it's a wonderful creature and is pretty funny

The social background of who you meet ultimately depends on how you form your gaming group. I've met my gaming groups through an association promoting games in a casual fashion, hence the diversity.

The archivists simply come from work easy one there.

Prior to that it was mostly students and unemployed because M:tG at a LGS. Makes sense.

Age doesn't seem to matter either, as I've had youngsters, middle-aged, and elderly, with everything in between!

I'm actually rather lucky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it is not so much occupation as mindset/personality etc. All the gamers I know are meticulous with keeping their games and their houses tend to also be organized. They are intelligent. They have Asperger type tendencies though I don't want to armchair diagnose. They like to learn and are somewhat curious, they are restless if their minds are not active.

I have been surprised that not many gamers are into weed. I am not sure about alcohol though it is rare to see it on the table.

I know of a couple librarians, a couple IT guys, a comedian, a comic book store owner, a nurse, a guy who owns an insurance agency, someone who works at a supermarket, a doctor, a musician, a public defender, a state worker. I don't know the occupations of my acquaintances as gaming talk dominates those meetings.

I am an artist/writer/activist. Gaming helps my logic when writing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
I feel it is not so much occupation as mindset/personality etc. All the gamers I know are meticulous with keeping their games and their houses tend to also be organized. They are intelligent. They have Asperger type tendencies though I don't want to armchair diagnose. They like to learn and are somewhat curious, they are restless if their minds are not active.

I have been surprised that not many gamers are into weed. I am not sure about alcohol though it is rare to see it on the table.

I know of a couple librarians, a couple IT guys, a comedian, a comic book store owner, a nurse, a guy who owns an insurance agency, someone who works at a supermarket, a doctor, a musician, a public defender, a state worker. I don't know the occupations of my acquaintances as gaming talk dominates those meetings.

I am an artist/writer/activist. Gaming helps my logic when writing!

I was going to say this. I'm a film maker and I have met other film makers in game groups as well as musicians, doctors, engineers and plenty of others. I find though, that a larger percentage of board gamers than the general public have what internet-shorthand would call OCD or OCDish tendencies. It is often this weird mix of rigidness (things must be in this order, on this shelf in this condition) and outside the box thinking (A to B to D to 13 to pancake, I win!) but this is pure speculation and anecdotal at best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half IT and a quarter of accounting and sales in my company plays actively boardgames.

The other part I'm working on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer programmer sand II certainly make up a large chunk it seems. Maybe it's because we spend all day on the computer so we want to unplug? I also notice a bunch of teachers.

other than that, I would say mostly white collar professionals or students. I don't usually see blue collar workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
other than that, I would say mostly white collar professionals or students. I don't usually see blue collar workers.

I'm what you would call a blue-collar worker, and I definitely feel like the exception to the rule. Most of the people I play with are white-collar workers, mostly with university-level education.

And there does seem to be something about IT/sitting in front of a computer all day that makes those people want to play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Here (south Finland), board games are mainstream. Everyone and their grandma has played Twilight Struggle.

(I guess that was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no distinction besides that almost everyone I know that play boardgames work with people in some sort. (Hospitals, schools).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more a factor of the pool of people you interact with.

My gaming group; nurse, cop, lunch room server, 3 teachers, MRI tech, actuary, electric engineer, social worker, legal child services, retail clerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The perils of small sample sizes. I've gamed with people from widely varying occupations. Cops, college profs, teachers, diplomats, many an IT person, freelance writers (multiples of them in my case), engineers, lawyers, consultants, UPS delivery drivers, members of the military, small business owners, economists, bank vice presidents, human resources people, cooks, intelligence analysts, doctors, students, electricians, tour guides, criminologists, retirees. Just off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Most of the people I know who are hobby gamers come from:
- IT
- Law Enforcement
- Education

Interesting... Most of the people I game with fall under these same exact fields of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hoping this is the case, but between 4 different jobs as a software developer I've only run across 1 other person who played board games that I worked with. I know on BGG and other forums it seems way more common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where is the poll for this? lol

(I'm in capital markets and game mainly with other ppl in finance with a mix of computer science).

I think ppl are more likely to game with ppl in the same field (no matter which field they are in) because they know more ppl in the same field? (i.e. vast majority of my friends did mathematics or computer science in uni and we tended to go into similar fields).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.