• [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For $10, it's an awesome game. For $20, it's a very good game, IF you are looking for:

- Mid-weight, medium-length, lightly-themed, cube-pushing euro
- Low-interaction:
----per-round auction for special powers
----race to grab some buildings and ships first
- Strategy and tactics, with several paths to victory
- A fair bit of randomness in the contract draws, but which can be mitigated substantially

My friend and I had it on our 10x10 a couple years back, and it was a lot of fun to explore some of its depths. We were still learning new tactics and little tricks after 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
For $10, it's an awesome game. For $20, it's a very good game, IF you are looking for:

- Mid-weight, medium-length, lightly-themed, cube-pushing euro
- Low-interaction:
----per-round auction for special powers
----race to grab some buildings and ships first
- Strategy and tactics, with several paths to victory
- A fair bit of randomness in the contract draws, but which can be mitigated substantially

My friend and I had it on our 10x10 a couple years back, and it was a lot of fun to explore some of its depths. We were still learning new tactics and little tricks after 10 games.
This poor game has been living on my shelf, unplayed, for about five years. Just when I think I can let it go, I read a review like this. Jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, but it has one negative review, which for this site is the equivalent of 100. The actual review has since been deleted but once you wade through the usual tons of comments telling the reviewer how they're wrong there are a few critical evaluations that go into detail.

Nothing to see here, move along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It irritates me whenever I hear comparisons to Puerto Rico. Yes, you choose a role/special ability at the start of each round, but in Constantinopolis ONLY YOU get that benefit. Nobody else benefits from it.

And in Const, you can ship or not ship as you wish, within the constraints of the contracts you drew. I hate how in PR you can be forced to ship.

To me, the key aspects of PR are not in Const, and the key aspects of Const are not in PR. They are vaguely similar, at most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
It irritates me whenever I hear comparisons to Puerto Rico. Yes, you choose a role/special ability at the start of each round, but in Constantinopolis ONLY YOU get that benefit. Nobody else benefits from it.

And in Const, you can ship or not ship as you wish, within the constraints of the contracts you drew. I hate how in PR you can be forced to ship.

To me, the key aspects of PR are not in Const, and the key aspects of Const are not in PR. They are vaguely similar, at most.

Stop making it sound so good. I really don't want to buy it. Although, if it comes back around at $10 ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari C
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
I can vouch for this game. If you purchase it it and place it on your shelf, it will politely sit there for as long as you ask it to, played or unplayed. I haven't heard it complain once. I can also vouch for it's plastic wrapping, which holds up incredibly well over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rec152 wrote:
I can vouch for this game. If you purchase it it and place it on your shelf, it will politely sit there for as long as you ask it to, played or unplayed. I haven't heard it complain once. I can also vouch for it's plastic wrapping, which holds up incredibly well over time.

I think it would look quite nice next to Il Vecchio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.