Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OLIVIER GUILLAUME
France
SALOME
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi everybody,

I recently bought Fliip Football and already had a few games with my wife. I precise that we are French and American football is not popular here (unfortunately) and despite I knew barely nothing about american football, I got attracted by the game.
After a few plays that both of us appreciated (thanks to very nice components), I wonder if there is more in this gale than guessing/double guessing.
I am quite sure there is more, and maybe my lack of knowledge of the game prevents me from "feeling" the possibilities. Our games have been reduced to selecting the defense personnel opposite to the offense personnel, sometimes faking, but that's all.
Therefore, I wonder if, for instance, in certain situation, the offense should, for instance, give priority to a run on the left side instead of a pass on the right side? Indeed, I feel that the offense picks a card, and the defense card decides the result. I am sure there is more depth in this game.

And I am only talking about the base game, because I have read and printed the new to come skills ships that will definitely add more flexibility, so as far as the base game is concerned, I would appreciate some of you to provide me with a few hints and, even better, describe a session in which they actually made choices.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Fliip Football and am not a big football fan but a seriously like this game. Being American I have grown up watching the football and although I don't know all the nuances I know enough.

It truly is a bluff - counter bluff game. I think how you and your wife are playing the game is ok. There is a helper on the Fliip website that gives some ideas on what defenses to use in certain situations.

Sometimes your opponent starts to follow a set routine which lulls you into a set routine then he/she will switch it up completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what little I know about play calling, it is quite often about knowing your opponent (the other coach).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer may be overly basic as I do not know how much you know about American Football. First, as mentioned above, the website explains some of the strategy of the game.

The game basically attempts to capture the risk vs reward system inherit to play calling in football and streamlines it for a board game. So runs are more safe than passes, but tend to result in shorter yardage. Passes have bigger potential for large gains, but have more potential for turnovers or zero gains (incompletions). Inside runs are safer that outside runs. So depending on where you are on the field and the yardage needed for a first down or touchdown will dictate what type of play is ideal. Then do you chose this ideal play type knowing that the defensive coach will look to stop that play type or do you choose the less ideal option? For example your down and distance situation may suggest that a safe/conservative run is the best play type. Because it is conservative play it is likely to yield the yards you need, but you may fear that the opposing "coach" expects you to call this play and therefor you consider a less conservative end run or a pass. The risk here is the chance for a negative gain or an incomplete pass.

So in the end, football is about risk vs reward and knowing when to bluff or counter bluff. However, the bluffs and play calls are not guesses and counter guesses as the play calls are based on the game situation. Also the cards tell you which plays are low risk/low ceiling and which are higher risks/high ceiling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OLIVIER GUILLAUME
France
SALOME
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks to the three of you for your comments. Chicagopsych, the risk vs reward baseline actually highlights my feeling of the game. I must admit that this game motivated me into better knowing/understanding American Football and these past few days I spent a lot of time reading about this sport and watching a few videos and passion may quickly arise, this sport is soooo different from usual sports practiced in Europe!
Therefore, I start getting a first glimpse at the subtility of the offense/defense fight, and yesterday I carefully studied the offense and defense cards of every personnel in order to better catch risks and potential rewards. I will for sure play more with my wife so that the "know your opponent" notion gets emphasized.
I am also sure that the new skills will add a great deal of depth.
The only regret I have on this game is that once the cards are flipped there is no way you can change anything, while in real life the individual performances of the guys on the field influence the court of events.
But I fully understand that implementing that level of precision would definitely change the game making it too heavy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LARGO9999 wrote:
Thanks to the three of you for your comments. Chicagopsych, the risk vs reward baseline actually highlights my feeling of the game. I must admit that this game motivated me into better knowing/understanding American Football and these past few days I spent a lot of time reading about this sport and watching a few videos and passion may quickly arise, this sport is soooo different from usual sports practiced in Europe!
Therefore, I start getting a first glimpse at the subtility of the offense/defense fight, and yesterday I carefully studied the offense and defense cards of every personnel in order to better catch risks and potential rewards. I will for sure play more with my wife so that the "know your opponent" notion gets emphasized.
I am also sure that the new skills will add a great deal of depth.
The only regret I have on this game is that once the cards are flipped there is no way you can change anything, while in real life the individual performances of the guys on the field influence the court of events.
But I fully understand that implementing that level of precision would definitely change the game making it too heavy!

Yes, the skills of the individual players are also a big part in real football. For that level of game, you are looking at a much more detailed and longer game. Strat-O-Matic Pro Football is one of the better ones for head to head with individual players. With this game, you now have to consider both the game situation and the ability of your players and those of your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LARGO9999 wrote:

I think you can house rule this issue. Use a second card. This would be the Audible play. Once the defense shows their card then you can pick one of your two cards in hand to play your Audible option. But I would suggest this audible play option should only be used once per possession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.