The U.S. Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are these 'Coastal Hexes'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you can help. Do the below examples qualify as Coastal Hexes and are therefore ok for river vessels to travel through? Or are these types of incomplete hexes not 'proper' Coastal Hexes and therefore block river vessel movement along the coast (like Florida does)?

To me, they don't seem to properly fit this rules description, as they aren't full hexes:

(2.1.8) Coastal Hex: This is defined as any hex containing land, the dark blue water, and the thin black coast line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Juliano
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not an authority, but I think you're right for the reason you give. Coastal hexes have to be hexes, and the area offshore of the impassable swamps are not.

(21.10.5) Confederate River Flotillas: Confederate
River Flotillas arrive in play completed. They have a
strength of 1 and may move an unlimited distance along
Navigable Waterways. They may not move into the
hex-less sea area.

(emphasis added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta. Yeah I know river vessels can't go into the sea. Just finding it difficult to visually work out what qualifies as that or what is instead a usable coastal hex. For example:

Can I sail out of the Altmaha here and go north past Darien in a river vessel? (I'm thinking no):

Can a river vessel sail north along this coastline? (I'm thinking yes):

Can a river vessel sail along this coastline? (I have no idea but I'm thinking maybe yes, as each hex has a nice bit of sea and coastline and land ... even though it sort of cuts-off between them):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Generally the CSA units are very limited in where they can move, they are usually limited to one river and a few hexes around it along the coast, but moving farther along the coast is not possible because the coastal hexes are not contiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CSA naval units can't sail west from Apalachicola. You can only sail from one coastal hex to another if the water sections are contiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest way I have found to make the distinction is if there is a black coastal line that crosses a hexside from one complete hex to another, then it is a valid coastal path for coastal river movement between the two hexes. If by crossing such a hexside there is a contiguous path of coastal water, then it is valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Yeah I'll look out for the continuous path through the hex. An unbroken coastal pathway from one side of the hex to the other. It's a litle hazy at first, but if I apply it dilligently it will allow me to apply the rule consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, I'd like to say what a pleasure it was to be in the UK's Isle of Wight recently, with all its coastal forts. The US Civil War game made it highly evocative for me, as it gave me a much better sense of why they're important.

I also like how one owner of one of the forts recently(ish) used it to barricade himself from administrators/investors!: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580973/Battle-for-th... He even lashed upturned tables to the helipads etc to protect himself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.