Subject: Why is it hard to trade games on BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: help [+] trading [+] guide [+] [View All]
Steven Perry
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
I am newer to this site, don't have a lot of games but I match up wants between myself and other users. Nobody counteroffers and orvresponds hardly.

How does one trade successfully on this site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adding your location to your profile will help.

Helps people get some idea of where they are likely to be posting the items to and thus makes it easier to weigh up whether the trade might be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people won't consider trades unless it is more than one item. Also, you will quickly learn that after you ship your traded item, in many cases because of the cost of shipping yourself, you could have just bought the item anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffbeckinc wrote:
I am newer to this site, don't have a lot of games but I match up wants between myself and other users. Nobody counteroffers and orvresponds hardly.

How does one trade successfully on this site?

When you want to trade with someone, try sending a geek mail before you push a trade offer (maybe half will actually respond to the GM, so don't expect to hear back from everyone). There are many reasons people don't want to trade a game they have listed as a trade item and it's easier to explain it in a GM. Also, a GM allows a bit of banter to ascertain the condition of the games before saying yes or no. I've initiated a majority of my 20+ trades and I estimate that I've sent about 5 trade proposals via GM for every successful one.

You may also want to try a Math Trade. Check out this thread and see if there are any in your area.

Edit: also this, shipping is a huge concern and you've got to give people an idea of where you are.

exparrot wrote:
Adding your location to your profile will help.

Helps people get some idea of where they are likely to be posting the items to and thus makes it easier to weigh up whether the trade might be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
.. and don't bother asking for cross-oceanic trades - they're almost never worth it when you look at shipping costs, VAT and customs.

What does work is participating in no-shipping math trades at conventions. The most recent one for Spiel, Essen had 2500+ games entered in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
A lot of people won't consider trades unless it is more than one item. Also, you will quickly learn that after you ship your traded item, in many cases because of the cost of shipping yourself, you could have just bought the item anyway.

Yep, shipping prices have increased to a point where trading - especially outside your nation's boundaries - makes no longer sense.

I removed all my offers from the market place and will try to sell them locally at cons and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many users who may have signed up and posted items "for trade" long ago, but who are no longer regular BGG users. Even if they get email notifications of your trade requests, they may not have the attention to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try the scattershot approach. Have initiated several good trades by GM first, but usually I send out 10 geekmails to get one order. Most people simply wont responf, but usually someone will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
There are many users who may have signed up and posted items "for trade" long ago, but who are no longer regular BGG users. Even if they get email notifications of your trade requests, they may not have the attention to reply.

This often times. Also why you may not get a reply for marketplace transactions.

Also I've experienced that many people WAY overvalue what they have. Even if it seems fair to you, the other end may feel slighted by what they view a very unbalanced trade. I gave up trying a long time ago.

Look into math trades. There you will find the active traders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- having no location is a big no-go!
- your profile looks very empty (you have only ever posted sth about 7 times! Give your profile some flavour, anything does the job really, you don't need to share any sensible data!)
(- your trade rating is 1. Obviously you can't change that without trading)

Those are some reasons why people might not want to trade with you.
Work on that points and come back if it still doesn't work out.

(Admitedly though: replying to your requests (if literally by writing "no, thanks") is the very least everyone should be up for)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
I try the scattershot approach. Have initiated several good trades by GM first, but usually I send out 10 geekmails to get one order. Most people simply wont responf, but usually someone will.

Oh yeah, and start with a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Perry
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
What's a GM? Game match?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Perry
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
thanks for tips everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All the above advice is good. Also, are your trades fair? or, even better, weighted in favor of the person you're trying to trade with. If both games are in print, it's easy to check their relative value at CSI or Miniature Market. If not, you can check at www.spielboy.com. My attitude is always if I'm trying to initiate a trade, I try to make it more attractive to the person I'm trying to trade with. If I can't get something that seems fair, I'll also offer to throw in a few dollars to even things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping makes small trades almost not worth it. I have found that trades work best when you are working with several games or out of print games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffbeckinc wrote:
What's a GM? Game match?

GeekMail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffbeckinc wrote:
What's a GM? Game match?

GM = geekmail.

You click on that little envelope at the top left of your homepage and the you can send what amounts to an internal BGG email to a user that pops up when they log into BGG. One thing is also to check the last time a user logged into BGG before the geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Perry
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't talk trade with anyone anymore without sending a geekmail first. I have been targeting multiple item shipments that are fair or slightly favor the other person since I'm more about "moving the game" for something else.

I only contact people who have been active within the last week too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, nothing in your trade list is particularly exciting. The newest game you have up for trade is from 2012 (excluding the Love Letter retheme). They're also very common games. Even if someone wants those games, they're not likely to be burning desires. When you factor in the cost of shipping, especially if you're doing a 1-for-1 trade, it's not a very appealing offer. The games on your list are the types of things that if someone really wanted them a lot, they'd already have had tons of chances to get. They'd be great as a second or third trade item on top of another game, making a multi-game trade more appealing... but they're just not main course trade items.

Just out of curiosity, what type of games have you been trying to trade for? If it wasn't also an older very common game then it could have been perceived as a poor trade, perhaps insultingly so.

You might want to look into math trades. It's less effort to find a match and sometimes you get wonky-lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trades or better yet... no ship, local Math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping and pricing/value for me.

Shipping anything of any measurable size or weight is more than I want to spend, and I could buy some 'commodity' games new from an etailer for about the same price as shipping cost to trade would be.

Marketplace, though I don't browse that much, I've seen a lot of items for sale that are maybe 10-25% less than new for a used copy, plus shipping.
I definitely also recommend the Math trade, Local con math trade, or Local sales approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've found that a lot of BGG'ers only have their games listed in order to integrate with the Online-Wants-List-Generator (OLWLG) used for Math Trades.. So, they don't respond to what they consider to be "unsolicited" trade offers/proposals, even if you send them a GM in advance.

As others have stated, because of increased or high shipping costs trades are often not worthwhile cost wise. You might be able to make it worthwhile if you are trading:

- small footprint, high value games,
- multiple items at once
- local trades, where you can make the exchange in person

For local trades within the U.S., you can sort by State and hope that the trader is close to you, or you can find/join a local board game meetup group(s) and you can try to trade with members of the group(s) or you can look for local gaming conventions and hope they have either a Math Trade or flea market/game swap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I have found shipping is too much of a hassle anymore, and more expensive. Trades and Math trades just don't seem worth the effort like they used to.

I do mostly auctions anymore, or sell my games at BGG.CON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have found shipping is too much of a hassle anymore, and more expensive.

I keep hearing this and don't get it. Normally if I'm trading it's for something OOP and the only way I'm getting it is through a trade. I guess I still occasionally do trades for in print things, but those are rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Math Trades thumbsup

I was very active on this site for a long time with a full profile, loads of posts, thumbs, microbadges etc. but I had zero trade feedback and I was ignored every single time by geekmail. Nobody was polite enough to even respond and say no thank you. After math trading and my feedback got to over 10, all of a sudden these same people were contacting me for games. They may not think you can be trusted (some people have been taken advantage of) but once you get your feedback up things should improve. At least...sometimes I get a no thank you now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.