Subject: Questions and Concerns Before Buying the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Princeton Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to buy this game, but I have a few questions and concerns.

1. How replayable is the game? Since the strategy level is lighter, would I get bored of the game? I know there are special ability potions, but has anyone found it to be short replayability?

2. How often do large marble collision combinations happen? I was watching the Dice Tower's review with Tom Vasel and he comboed about 4 times from a single pull! Does this happen often? If so, wouldn't it be to easy and players would be filling multiple potions left and right?

3. How does the game play with 2 players? 3-4 players?

4. Is there a problem with Analysis Paralysis in a game with higher player count?

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaftPrince wrote:
I'd like to buy this game, but I have a few questions and concerns.

1. How replayable is the game? Since the strategy level is lighter, would I get bored of the game? I know there are special ability potions, but has anyone found it to be short replayability?

2. How often do large marble collision combinations happen? I was watching the Dice Tower's review with Tom Vasel and he comboed about 4 times from a single pull! Does this happen often? If so, wouldn't it be to easy and players would be filling multiple potions left and right?

3. How does the game play with 2 players? 3-4 players?

4. Is there a problem with Analysis Paralysis in a game with higher player count?

Thank you very much.

I will preface this by saying that I like the game very much! But all your concerns are true.

1. The game plays very similarly every time. It is a light game, similar to something like Splendor in complexity. It doesn't take long to see all the game has to offer, but it remains simple fun.

2. Combos occur frequently and players can complete several potions quickly. This isn't really a flaw but it's hard to read other players' progress because all can change very quickly.

3. The game plays well with 2 players but yes, it should be avoided with AP prone players when playing 4 player.

If these things worry you, maybe the game isn't for you. But as a light game for casual players it is tactile and fun - great for 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 0.02 and my preface too, I also enjoy the game very much as do my family and friends (the friends that have played it at our house also bought their own copy so that should tell you something)

1. Similar but not the same. There are 8 potion-types in the box and you only use 6 in a game so this can lead to different strategies and combinations.

2. Can happen quite often and they are fun too! Strategy does play a part, of course it's almost impossible to plan very far ahead with 4 players.

3. We have enjoyed 4 and even 5-player games (I bought an extra set to get some more marbles and tweaked the rules a little, it was good fun with very few overflow issues in the top of the feeder!)

4. Analysis Paralysis... not really an issue, but if it is then just buy a 1-minute egg-timer (this works with any game!)

PS If you check on BGG it seems an expansion is coming - "The 5th ingredient" - so even more variety coming to help out on 1) and 3)

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'l still looking into buying myself, so I can't give any specifics. I would suggest to have a look to the play trough of Watch it played for this game. I think it answers well your question 2, and the 2 player part of question 3.

As for AP, I see this more of a player problem, then a game problem, and any gamer is different at that. You will best be able to judge if this game can give problems in your player group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Princeton Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Watch It Played playthrough totally helped. Rodney and Pep are the best! 2 player looks fun, and the huge combos don't happen that often, but when it does, it's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game this past weekend and played it twice. I absolutely love it! One thing I'll say for the replayability is it seems like the searching for the best marble to pull is always going to be fun. There's a reason people love those Candy Crush type games, right? It's very satisfying! And the thing that puts it over the top is the different potion effects give you the opportunity for very clever plays. You have just enough control over the marbles to pull off some really cool moves from time to time. I'm really glad I bought it and I suspect it will get a lot of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. Imho, re-playability is high, because this is one of those "you never know what you're gonna get" kind of games. Not only do the potions vary game to game, (you randomly choose 6 of the 8 available types to use in one game) but in every game you have the possibility of great combos using potions or chains of explosions from your normal pick, or both... using potions to set up a great chain of explosions. So you'll always be looking to make that perfect play to complete both of your potions on hand, and potentially block your opponents next move.

2. So far I have seen this to occur occasionally on it's own... however, the cool part is that you can use either your completed potions, or the little help token, or both, to set up a great chain of explosions.

3. I've played with 3 and 2 so far, and there wasn't much difference, [both were great] so I don't really have much to add to this.

4. The AP can be an issue no matter the number... it really depends on the players. This is a game where the players who's turn it is not, may have plenty of opportunity to do a bit of socializing until their turn comes up again. And it seems to vary turn to turn... the player who took forever one round, takes 10 seconds the next. So, yeah... maybe keep a timer on hand for that one player you know will just always take 10 minutes to be sure... but otherwise, I think for a group of friends who don't mind just hanging out and chatting until it's their turn, a little AP is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.