Popular Tags: [View All]
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello!

I would like to purchase the game, I am on the fence, but... it is not really cheap, so I ask before buying.

Please help me:

-Is this game absolutely complete without buying any expansions?
-Is there any missions which ends like in Descent 2? (The crappy " a dice roll will decide fate of the scenario")
-Are the rebels too powerful (read that somewhere)?
-Can I make my own campaign?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Define complete
You can play several full campaigns with the base game only, but you won't be content with it. Trust me. If you don't want to deal with cardboard markers for figures, you'll have to buy more packs right at the start.

- Some missions depend on the last die roll. For example in the last round of the time limit in the last activation you have to do an attribute test or a final attack and if you succeed the rebels win, if not the Imperial player wins. But there is no scripted: At the end, roll a die and depending on the results the outcome of the mission is X.

- Play with 4 heroes and 1 Imperial player no matter how many physical players you are and you should have a balanced campaign. Some missions are favoured for one side and one for the other.

- There are no rules for that and as it is a competitive and not a cooperative game with a game master it is not an easy task, but you can. FFG doesn't provide materials for this, probably because of licensing issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostantis Bamidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mb
Hello back at ya!
- Yes, and no :
The game contains enough material to last you several sessions, as you try to complete the campaign. Also, you can play it again from the start as you will not see all missions on one runthrough. Moreover, there is the "skirmish" game, which adds to the value.
ON THE OTHER SIDE, this game is designed to support many extra "add-ins", such as new figures with missions and more cards, as well as expansions with new tiles, campaigns, stories etc.
In general, its a campaign game, which means that after you finish a campaign, and provided you liked the game, you will need extras to start a new one with completely new scenarios and surprises.
HOWEVER, you can select which expansions/figures you would like to add, if you add any at all.
Finally, high resale value is important, since it can fetch a good price should you decide its not for you.

- Well, yes. In a sense that it might come to a final attack that misses etc.

- Nope. And you can regulate any imbalances easily.

- YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
-Is this game absolutely complete without buying any expansions?

You don't need to buy any expansions to play 2-4 campaigns with the core box. There are 30+ missions in there, and you'll be playing 11 to 14 in one campaign (some are one of the two alternative story missions, some are side missions - selected by the rebels from two semirandom alternatives).

matzi1 wrote:
-Is there any missions which ends like in Descent 2? (The crappy " a dice roll will decide fate of the scenario")

If the mission is tight enough, it might come go to the wire. It's a fundamental thing with dice - if you have not managed to win the mission before the final roll, naturally the final roll decides it then. But you don't win or lose due to the final die roll. (Sometimes it's not because of dice rolls, but because you are missing a number of movement points, or an action to finish the mission objective.)

matzi1 wrote:

No, but sometimes yes. It depends on so many factors - skill, imperial class, which heroes, which missions you encounter, which items the rebels see and purchase. I have been able to put up a fight in the core campaign as the imperial player.

matzi1 wrote:
-Can I make my own campaign?

Depends on how far you want to go. You are partly doing it with the core campaign already because there are 5 side missions. It will take a bit of effort to tie existing missions together as a campaign, and even more effort to design the missions too. (The 4-missions-long minicampaigns are more receptive to finetuning - I have done so by adding intro or side missions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the quick answers!

Now that thing with the dice...

I had some really bad experience in descent where I was really good in some scenarions, killed a lot of monsters, completed everything- then at the end of the scenario came one or two important skill rolls. (i.e. to open a door with strength) I failed those 1 or 2 rolls, and it doesnt matter how good I was throughout the scenario, I failed. And it was the reason I traded Descent away. I really liked the system overall, just these stupid skill rolls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you will know the rebel objective before the final action in the final activation in the final round and can prepare.

The mission structure is much better than in Descent(2e) in my opinion.

Also, generally speaking, you can't expect to win every mission, and need to salvage what you can (the maximum amount of credits) when you see a mission becomes unwinnable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Wow, thanks for the quick answers!

Now that thing with the dice...

I had some really bad experience in descent where I was really good in some scenarions, killed a lot of monsters, completed everything- then at the end of the scenario came one or two important skill rolls. (i.e. to open a door with strength) I failed those 1 or 2 rolls, and it doesnt matter how good I was throughout the scenario, I failed. And it was the reason I traded Descent away. I really liked the system overall, just these stupid skill rolls...

There are objectives like that but not exactly, for example the rebels must deactivate terminal X to win. Given what you said about how you did in decent but mirroring to IA where in a mission you did well then you would get multiple attempts on the terminal and failing an attempt could make the next one easier but if the mission was kicking your but, at the end of the mission you might sprint to the terminal and try for an attribute test on the last roll. I hope this answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
matzi1 wrote:

Although the overall balance is quite good, one valid criticism is that there is a snowball effect. Whichever side wins a mission gets more rewards (XP, cash, etc) than the other side. This means that winning a few in a row can give an advantage that then makes it easier for that side to continue winning. There are plenty of ways this can be house-ruled away, though.

So yes, if the rebel players are better than the imperial player they could overwhelm him/her. However, the opposite is also true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Yes the game is complete in so far as there are at least 2 completely distinct ways of playing through the 11 mission campaign. However there are only 6 heroes, so you can't play with 2 completely different full 4 hero strong hero parties. Also there is only a decent number of enemies, so it will get quite repetitive at the end of the first campaign.

- For me this game came down to a last important dice roll quite often, but it was a combat roll most of the time (only very few cases where the last roll was an attribute test).
However there are still attribute tests and quite a few missions in my playthrough were decided by bad luck at those (just not at the last round).
What might also cause frustration is that this game uses secret information to a large extent. The scenario book is only allowed to be viewed by the imperial player and often events trigger at the end of rounds or when doors are opened (without the rebels knowing beforehand). Usually these events empower the imperial player like he gets a few expensive troops for free, right when the heroes thought they finally managed to get a hand on the troops already on the map.
This has caused the most frustration in my playgroup, while everybodey really enjoys the excitement from not knowing everything or use the unknowing for really powerfull strategies.

- In my opinion, if both parties try to put together the most potent strategies, the imperial player has a slight advantage, especially in the first campaign. In the end picking a good hero party has to consider more moving parts than the imperial side when picking their class deck.

However and I find this to be the most problematic part of the game: If the heroes win the first mission, the campaign requires you to play story missions that are heavily balanced against the heroes. We are talking about 70-30 to 80-20 win-percentages against the heroes (according to a poll on this board) and my expirience very much confirms this. While it's true that some of them have been somehow close calls, in the end, the heroes lost all (I think 5) story missions and that's despite I always rewarded them as if they won and handed them money as if they searched all crates, while they didn't search any of them and I didn't pick the strongest imperial class deck.
Yet while the story missions usually are longer and more epic, they are only half of the campaign and the side missions are balanced much better and the rebels even won a few of them.

- there are no tools (like the Questvault for Descent) to make a campaign yourself, but if you don't require them, nothing should stop you from creating an own campaign.

Also keep in mind that an app for IA, similar to the RtL app for Descent 2.0 that transforms this game into an exciting coop-game where you explore an unknown map, is in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
- Yes the game is complete in so far as there are at least 2 completely distinct ways of playing through the 11 mission campaign. However there are only 6 heroes, so you can't play with 2 completely different full 4 hero strong hero parties. Also there is only a decent number of enemies, so it will get quite repetitive at the end of the first campaign.

- For me this game came down to a last important dice roll quite often, but it was a combat roll most of the time (only very few cases where the last roll was an attribute test).
However there are still attribute tests and quite a few missions in my playthrough were decided by bad luck at those (just not at the last round).
What might also cause frustration is that this game uses secret information to a large extent. The scenario book is only allowed to be viewed by the imperial player and often events trigger at the end of rounds or when doors are opened (without the rebels knowing beforehand). Usually these events empower the imperial player like he gets a few expensive troops for free, right when the heroes thought they finally managed to get a hand on the troops already on the map.
This has caused the most frustration in my playgroup, while everybodey really enjoys the excitement from not knowing everything or use the unknowing for really powerfull strategies.

- In my opinion, if both parties try to put together the most potent strategies, the imperial player has a slight advantage, especially in the first campaign. In the end picking a good hero party has to consider more moving parts than the imperial side when picking their class deck.

However and I find this to be the most problematic part of the game: If the heroes win the first mission, the campaign requires you to play story missions that are heavily balanced against the heroes. We are talking about 70-30 to 80-20 win-percentages against the heroes (according to a poll on this board) and my expirience very much confirms this. While it's true that some of them have been somehow close calls, in the end, the heroes lost all (I think 5) story missions and that's despite I always rewarded them as if they won and handed them money as if they searched all crates, while they didn't search any of them and I didn't pick the strongest imperial class deck.
Yet while the story missions usually are longer and more epic, they are only half of the campaign and the side missions are balanced much better and the rebels even won a few of them.

- there are no tools (like the Questvault for Descent) to make a campaign yourself, but if you don't require them, nothing should stop you from creating an own campaign.

Also keep in mind that an app for IA, similar to the RtL app for Descent 2.0 that transforms this game into an exciting coop-game where you explore an unknown map, is in development.

I am not invalidating you in any way, I just want to say that so many things can changed based off choices players make from selecting the story missions to what heroes to what imp class deck. Then the skill level assigned to those etc. etc.

So take what everyone says with a grain of salt because how your game gets filled out is very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mb
There is a Hungarian Facebook group for this game maybe you should join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

I am not invalidating you in any way, I just want to say that so many things can changed based off choices players make from selecting the story missions to what heroes to what imp class deck. Then the skill level assigned to those etc. etc.

So take what everyone says with a grain of salt because how your game gets filled out is very different.

Well you can't select story missions, what story mission you have to play next is entirly dependent on who won the last story mission and it seems that you can only play the more balanced missions if the heroes lose the introduction mission and win from then on.

In my campaign the introduction hinged on the last die roll and the heroes won, setting them on the story mission path where they had next to no chance of winning anything, especially if you play by the rules. Just to reiterate, I awarded my heroes even with all the resources possible (against the rules) and they still hadn't got a chance.

So you can say the entire campaign can be decided on the first mission and if that's decided by the last die roll the following is true:

In Imperial Assault the entire base-game campaign can be decided by one last die roll on the first mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow!

Thanks guys for the lot of information. It seems that IA is as I feared, not really better than Descent. And while I love Star Wars, I cannot just spend my 1/3 salary on a game, which might or not be good (well... I think it is good, but simply doesnt worth that much money)

Thaks for the help, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Galaxy Defenders instead. Although it is coop, this game is so much better than Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
Wow, surprising to see so many negative comments about this game. Although I have experienced some of the same frustrations that others have mentioned, I also have enjoyed playing this game more than any other game I've played.

It is true that some of the mission balance is a little askew and there is a snowball effect in that winning helps you win more. As others have stated, some simple house rules can help even things out a bit. There are numerous forum posts regarding small tweaks that can make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Additionally, although the core campaign has a lot of content and replayability, the boxed expansions offer even more content and FFG has improved on some of the mission design from my limited experience with the expansion content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our campaign, rebels won the first mission and still won the campaign (as well as the majority of the missions). There are too many factors to make such a generalized statement.

DA_Maz wrote:
krzykoopa wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

Well you can't select story missions, what story mission you have to play next is entirly dependent on who won the last story mission and it seems that you can only play the more balanced missions if the heroes lose the introduction mission and win from then on.

In my campaign the introduction hinged on the last die roll and the heroes won, setting them on the story mission path where they had next to no chance of winning anything, especially if you play by the rules. Just to reiterate, I awarded my heroes even with all the resources possible (against the rules) and they still hadn't got a chance.

So you can say the entire campaign can be decided on the first mission and if that's decided by the last die roll the following is true:

In Imperial Assault the entire base-game campaign can be decided by one last die roll on the first mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.