Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts about this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
How does this game compare to mage wars or MTG?

i used to playing mtg but dropped it for LCG like netrunner

i kept needing to scratch my fantasy And my drafting itch though, so i found about mage wars(deck building,fantasy setting), which i plan to buy and/or Seasons for drafting element too

but a friend mentioned this game, does it compare well to games like mage wars/mtg?

does it have its own unique staff, does it worth it? how can you sell me this game? i saw some of the cards, and the art seem nice, but the abilities seem just ok,im used to explosive cards/comboes/synergies

Will i like this game at all or should i pass?

i got tired of the tcg element, thats why i moved to lcg, but a card game that can be played out of the box(i can draft/contruct decks and play(?)with balanced decks) and just 1-2 more expansions looks very promising, does it deliver?

" One box supports preconstructed, sealed and draft formats for 2-4 players" this what interested me, can you really play 2 players out of one box? what about 3-4..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can play 2 player out of one box.

It's so cheap I would advise you just to buy one and try it rather than waste time reading and comparing about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimstringer wrote:
" One box supports preconstructed, sealed and draft formats for 2-4 players" this what interested me, can you really play 2 players out of one box? what about 3-4..?

Just played my first pack draft with 4 out of one box plus the Tyrants expansion, it was excellent. I think it would have been still very good even just with the base set, the only difference is then all cards would have been used. But you don't see every card in your opponents' decks in the big majority of games, so there's still plenty of hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually been thinking about posting a comparative review of Epic, Mage Wars, Mage Wars Academy, and Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (and maybe some others). I haven't gotten around to do so for lack of time.

In short: Epic is a pretty great game for drafting. I'm not sure about constructed at this time, as I find the expansion model (and its pricing) a major turnoff for that.

Epic is a lot more subtle than it may at first seem. Hand-management vs. threat management is a big part of the equation, I feel. It's not easy to see that when you look at the seemingly overpowered cards.

Of course, the card pool is nowhere near MtG, and the tournament scene is a lot smaller. For casual play, however, I agree these are $15 well spent.

Compared to Mage Wars Academy, I'd say, Epic is a lot more like MtG (though the changes to mana and the combat system guarantee it stands on its own, IMO). Also, MWAc feels a wee bit clunkier, but also somewhat more strategic. Also, MWAc of course relies on you building a spellbook before playing (or using one of the pre-builts). So does its big brother, Mage Wars Arena.

Compared to Mage Wars Arena, I don't think that and Epic even compete for the same niche. Epic plays lightning fast, and may swing back and forth. Mage Wars Arena comparatively takes forever to complete, but the spatial element and all of the interesting setups this enables will provide for a vastly different (neither better nor worse) experience. It's a LOT more time-consuming than Epic.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is another game that needs decks built before playing. The pre-builts in this game are excellent, with a lot of cool combos built into them. Also, they are more thematic than anything I've seen in any of the other games (well, MW Arena might come close). Another upside of Ashes is that its rules are so streamlined and straightforward -- with little to no keywords to be memorized. All that said, time investment on Ashes is still larger than for Epic. And contrary to Epic, if there is an option to draft (which I'm not sure about), it's likely to be worse than Epic.

So, taking this all together (and this is only my POV, obviously):

- if you want a quick drafting experience that gives you all the best moments of an MtG match without the cost and the mana screwage, go for Epic

- if you want a more strategic experience at the price of more time spent deckbuilding, Mage Wars Academy might be a good start

- if you don't mind spending a lot of time deckbuilding and playing, and want a complex and highly rewarding experience, consider Mage Wars Arena

- if you enjoy combos and want to play highly thematic pre-built decks with the option to deckbuild, take a look at Ashes

Sorry for the long write-up, I sort of got carried away. Hope it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group (38 girls) likes the game. It is Not on our top 5 card games ,could get more loving but the drawback is (for us anyways) we prefer faction vs faction. (Evil vs good) (sage vs wild)- yes you can still play
but the number of cards in the pool per faction at the moment is 47 (including the KS and the expansion) so with one copy of each card you can not have 2 decks of the same faction.

We do not like to build a deck with good and evil mix together. For us that just does not make sense.

Now if only they would add a expansion a fifth faction (Neutrals) which act as mercenaries and they would be drafted, participate in combat and go into player discards this way every faction could use them that would raise interest.

Tokens do not start from player hand so you can not build a 30 card deck by including some token cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game. I have played a lot of various card games. I have played MtG, Ashes, Summoner Wars, Mage Wars, a lot of LCGs, and more. This game is my top favorite, easily. There is no mana screw like Magic. Ashes is great but the games feel long and it is a slow build up kind of game. Epic plays quick, or at least it feels like it plays quick.

The drafting is amazing, the 2 player drafting is even better, and constructed is awesome too. I would agree with others that it's easy to throw together a cohesive and thematic deck simply by picking a color or 2 colors you like.

You can easily play 2 player out of the box. With just one box:

1. My personal preference is for players to choose the 2 colors they like, shuffle them together, and you have 2 60-card thematic decks to fight against that are very balanced and can show a lot of interesting interactions depending on the colors chosen.

2. You can do the same thing above, but shorten the game by just dealing out 15 of each color.

3. You can draft. There isn't a wrong way to do it in this game. It is fast paced and the drafting/counter drafting is a lot of fun.

You can also draft with 3-4 players easily as well. Playing with 30 cards each is perfectly fine and fun. You can split up and play 1v1 games or a multiplayer variant.

This game has a ton of decisions and great interactions. It seems pretty simple up front, but the more you look at it and play it and read what other people say about it, the more you realize that it is actually a very deep game even though people can just pick it up and play easily. Easy game to learn, hard to master.

Epic also lives up to it's name. There are some amazing combos and card plays that really make players excited. For example: I played a giant wurm that had 14 attack and attacked my opponent. He blocked with a unit and used an ability to break his own unit to draw 2 cards. He thought he was safe because in Epic once an attack is blocked, you as a player are safe...unless your unit has what is called breakthrough (think trample). I played a 0-cost even that gave my wurm breakthrough and I ended up doing 18 damage out of 30 in one swing. It felt amazing.

Another really cool combo that happened used an evil unit called Drinker of Blood, who while out, whenever something is destroyed, you gain 2 life, and your opponent loses 2 life. I was losing the game badly. My opponent had a ton of units on the board, and my units were all exhausted and couldn't defend. I played a desperate board sweeper that transformed every unit on the board into little weenie wolves. Then immediately on my turn I played the Drinker of Blood, and a 0-cost event that did 2 damage to everything on the board (wolves have 2 health). The resulting swing netted me +18 health and my opponent lost 18 health. It felt amazing.

I know those example might not mean anything to you without knowing exactly how the game is played, but I think you can see what I mean. Epic gives the opportunity for many interactions like these.

You will be surprised by the amount of choices you can make on a turn. The mind game against your opponent is awesome, and there isn't even any react spells or counter spells like in Magic.

I highly recommend checking it out. As I said, even just the base game that costs like $10 can be enough to hook you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Mage Wars, so I cannot compare the two. For me, Epic is a polished version of Magic. It removes all the annoying parts and just leaves you with the best parts. Some people will point out that it simplifies the game (since land management is no longer a needed skill), but I was never good enough at Magic so to me those were annoyances. Having said that, there is less to Epic than there is to Magic. There is no gradual buildup and no early game. On turn 1 you can play threats that your opponent has to mitigate or lose.

As far as combo decks go, they are less blatant and powerful. Wizards of the Coast R&D will intentionally design 3-4 card infinite combos. Epic is more subtle. There are plenty of cards that reward a particular play style or give you big rewards for taking a complimentary action. In addition, combos are not intentionally inserted into sets, but instead parts of many different combos come in every deck and it is up to the players to decide if there are enough combo pieces to build a deck around it.

I am not aware of any infinite combos in Epic and talking to one of the game developers, he said that he argues against cards that have an unlimited effect. This means that combo decks in the Magic sense of the term do not exist. There aren't decks that are built around getting a set of cards out that, when played together, instantly make the game unwinnable for anyone but you. In other words, you can build a combo to spawn 10 1/1 human soldiers in a single turn, not 10 million as you would in Magic.

Out of all the CCG and LCG games that I know of, Epic is the best to draft since every single card can be used in any deck. Since you don't need to provide a given type of fuel to a card, you don't end up holding a rare that needs 3 Forests to cast while the rest of your cards are Blue/Black. Also, no cards are early game or late game, but they are more about serving a role. You need to draft a proper balance of threats, answers, card draw, and utility cards, cards that can be plated at any time and cards that benefit from the other cards in your deck.

You really can draft up to 4 players out of 1 starting set. It will not be optimal, but very few cards are total duds that you will never want to draft (those tend to be combo pieces that are strictly worse than other cards except when they are used as the lynch pin of a devastating combo). Draft does benefit if you buy some expansion cards so that players have the benefit of always having some choice about what cards they take from a pack.

Comparing the Epic game play to other card games, I would call Epic a game of efficiency. You always have a steady drip of resources and to win you need to make better use of your money and cards than your opponent can. For comparison, I see Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn as a game of pacing. You have access to more power than you need at too high for you to want to pay, so you have to decide if grasping for more will win you the game or if you will kill yourself before you can kill your opponent. I contrast to both, Magic I consider a game of logistics. You need to make sure that you have the right card at the right time and the right resources to play it. No one will do it with perfect consistency, but the player who gets closer to it wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Another option: try the free Star Realms App by the same designers. If you like it, than probably also the upcoming Hero Realms which is a fantasy re-skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played MtG a lot back in the good old days, now I'm almost out except that I can occasionally buy a duel deck or two, play it once or twice and then leave it on the shelf. It is a good game and brings back a lot of nice memories, but I doubt I'll ever get back to playing it on a serious level.

But the thing that I've loved and missed the most were the drafts. This feeling of opening a new pack, trying to build your deck on the fly also remembering the good pick your pass further... Amazing! This is the thing I miss the most I guess.

Epic lets me scratch this itching spot and it makes it in a very nice way. It's like MtG on steroids and with no lands. Most of the cards seem too overpowered which means none in fact are - there is a board clear for every crazy champion and the fact that most of the event cards have the alternative option of drawing 2 cards prevents your engine from running out of steam.

Pros (compared to MtG):
- super cheap and packs a good value into a small box.
- the replay-ability is really high, especially if you've got some friends who are fans of drafting.
- (almost) no useless cards, be it a draft play or when you build a deck.
- you'll never have too many lands or not enough lands. If you want to play a particular card on your turn - please do.
- rules are more streamlined and even though I miss the crazy combos with the stack, I think this actually makes it more accessible for less experienced players.

Cons (compared to MtG):
- card pool is much, much smaller.
- there is no build-up phase of the game, action can start right from the turn one. I should note that this is subjective and some people don't find such fast start to be an issue.
- the game feels very swing-y, meaning that even the biggest creatures rarely survive more than 2-3 turns, but at the same time it's not shocking to see an opponent lose more than half of the health in a turn. But this is a subjective thing too - both you and your opponent have those crazy cards and similar options.
- it's harder to find a player, since Magic is obviously much more popular and well known.

I also own Mage Wars Academy and Mage Wars Arena (and I like them too!), but it's harder to compare those games with Epic, especially the Arena, which for me is more a miniature-style game with a spell book, rather than a pure card game. It plays much longer and has more strategic decisions... It's different style for me.

Unfortunately, I've only played Academy couple of times and can't really compare it with Epic, but I should say that a lot depends on your preferences. MW: Academy is simpler and I like it less than Epic, but that's because I absolutely love the big brother - Arena.

In conclusion: I love both Epic and MW: Arena, so I highly recommend both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.