Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where I'm coming from

Another game I board knowing I would primarily be playing it solitaire; I was looking for something in a small box that would hopefully be a challenge and have a high degree of re-playability. I have not played any other games in the Oniverse series.

Overview

The fire elementals are trying to burn down your forest and you are tasked with organising the defences. You do this by planting more trees, strategically placing fountains and enlisting the help of the various woodland creatures.

The elementals advance upon your forest in lanes (from 4 ravage decks), somewhat like "plants vs. zombies", and you never know what will turn up and when. You cycle through a deck of cards (your defence deck) and deploy cards from your hand by paying for them (which comprises of discarding other cards in your hand).

Learning the game

There are two modes to play, a basic and advanced game. The Basic game is designed for beginners and reduces the number (and types) of cards in play as well as avoiding the mobilisation phase in which you build your deck. Although quicker and simpler to play, it is actually harder than the advanced game to win for some reason. After getting stuffed playing the beginner game a few times, I looked on here to find various posters saying as much so I decided to move straight on to the advanced game and not wait until I had won a game before doing so.

Game experience

I enjoy the mobilisation phase that begins the advanced game but I can see how, for some, this just feels like an extended setup time. But this is where the strategy comes into play (the second phase being mainly tactical) as well as helping to give a variability in setup so each game will play out a little differently. You always have the same ravage cards to work through but your defender deck will be different each game.

The game includes two expansions, one that includes a new array of ravage cards that has the effect of lengthening the game and also increasing the variety of threats that you will have to face (although one of which is actually helpful to you). The other includes an array of defence cards that can be incorporated into your deck although it includes the 'betrayal' cards that you will want to avoid as they clog up your deck with useless cards. There is also an appendix (mini expansion) that adds a plastic fire pawn and is one way of making the game a little harder. These expansions and appendix can be mixed and matched as you see fit and I have played with most combinations and now only play with all three together.

I have played a few two player games but find that much harder to win as coordinating your efforts gets a lot harder. The instructions give you the option as to how much disclosure you wish to include between players but I prefer not to use full disclosure in order avoid the dreaded 'alpha player syndrome'.

Longevity

The provision of the various different optional ways of playing the game help provide this game with longevity but it hasn't taken me long for the game to start feeling a bit stale. There's certain cards that I always try to incorporate into my deck because I know how useful they are. Planting trees seems to be next to useless and I rarely bother. The extraordinary feat cards (included with one of the built in expansions) offer some possible instant win conditions that you can play for to add new challenges.

I suppose this will remain an occasional play game for me but I'm a little disappointed it hasn't held my enthusiasm for as long as I thought it would.

Rating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks for the read.

Unfortunately, I think I feel the same about Sylvion. I also own Onirim, which was my first entry point into the series. I've played Onirim countless times solitaire as well as with my girlfriend and it has still not gone stale. The multiple expansions that can be combined in any way you choose always keep it interesting. And, for me, the base mechanic just feels more fulfilling in general when playing.

In the end, I recommend you give Onirim a try even though Sylvion did not work out for you. In the future I plan to try the other titles in the Oniverse as well and look forward to your thoughts should you do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try with drawing two cards a turn and/or more desolated forests to start with? The former really challenges the drafting, while the latter brings the value of the forest cards to the fore again.

In terms of mechanics tied with theme I feel Sylvion is stronger of the oniverse games, and I particularly like the way all the ability cards are different animals of the forest, the demobilisation injuring them under the onslaught of the ravage. The drafting at the start is also refreshing and for me scratches a deck building itch.

It certainly doesn't have the subtle depth of onirim's mechanics in the way expansions interact and alter strategies, nor the tactile spacial puzzle of Castellion. But as a solo game I still brings me back now and again.

If I had any complaint it could be the footprint. It takes a surprising amount of space for a little game. I do like the reduced shuffling compared to Onirim (although urbion has one shuffle and castellion has no shuffling if you use a bag)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I won't write off the other games in the Oniverse series but to be honest, one reason why I think the game has not scored higher for me is the theme; it just doesn't fire my interest that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I won't write off the other games in the Oniverse series but to be honest, one reason why I think the game has not scored higher for me is the theme; it just doesn't fire my interest that much.

Oh dear...

You cant burn a few forests without frying a few eggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.