Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AG-8 – 5 games

Now playing the final ship after taking a break overall. Interesting as you lock in the drones and don’t really have much control. Wasn’t really sure how this was going to play out when I started.

Setup:
Note here for all games I did the final “ship” (6 special cards – was not obvious to me) at the end. Also, I did not remove any cards to speed up game, nor did I remove any “Don’t Panic!” cards (to make the game harder). I also had the Infirmary card on the easy side (send to change face).

Here you can see my recorded plays and notes:
Game #
1 – won easily – 2 tactical, 1 engineer, 1 medical – switched med to tactical at end
2 – lost at end – due to not getting rid of Cloaked Threats and rolling a 2
3 – won – most of game 2 tactical (red) ad 2 engineer (orange), finally switching to 3 tactical, 1 engineer
4 – won – 3 red, 1 orange – didn’t roll a 6 in 1st enemy shots
5 – won – with only 2 red and 1 orange die locked in drones, and with Cloaked Threats still active!

This seems to be autopilot with luck playing a small factor. You need to get to 2 red and 1 orange quickly. With this, no matter what comes out you will kill it and repair the damage immediately. There are only 3 non-boss cards that do more than 2 damage I think, and then the irritating Cloaked Threats.

The main game unlucky combo that could kill you would be Solar Winds (5 damage) doubled via Cloaked Threat (and here having to roll a 2 yet again). Or, while not outright killing you, a 5 damage (from SW or Meteoroid) soon before final boss.

At the end, you will face 2 die rolls before you can do anything. Here a 6-6 or 6-1 or 6-4 combo will kill you no matter what (here assuming shields were at 0 before encountering). A 1-1 combo will not kill you outright, but will probably kill you if the next is a 1 or 6. Likewise an initial combo of 6-2 or 6-3 will have you dead to a follow up 6 or 1. Someone else can work out the stats, but if you roll a 6 in the initial 2, your odds are way, way down. But if you don’t, then barring the 1-1-1 or 1-1-6 scenario, you win.

No matter what here, this is certainly the least interactive ship (at least with this strategy). The initial fight to get a red and orange on board is interesting and making sure to deal with Cloaked Threats, but otherwise all the other cards are meaningless until the end. Of which you have no control over, you’re just hoping to not roll a 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merrin GameGeek
msg tools
I completely agree with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmb
It can seem like autopilot once I get my drones the way I liked them.

I've been shuffling the main boss cards into the deck and fighting him when the sixth card comes out. It makes it hard to know when to switch your drones and you will have to deal with the other threats at the same time. I like it better this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I study games and gamers at the Technoculture, Art and Games research centre at Concordia University, Montreal.
badge
I hate bowling. It's just multiplayer solitaire.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had kind of a hilarious experience with this ship the other day. It was my first time using it, and only my 2nd game overall, so I was playing on easy.

With about 15 threat cards left, I started drawing a bunch of internal threats. Like, most of them. The upshot was that I had three drones (tactical, engineering, science) and three crewman in the infirmary. At this point there was nothing I could do besides draw cards and roll. I was pretty sure I was doomed...

...and I totally won! Even though I had new crew left, I had a good mix of drones. And since the last batch of threat cards were internal, most of what they did when activated was injure my already-injured crew members. A completely unexpected result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.