Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

will play my first game tonight with three friends! We will definitly play the Expertgame (complete game)!

Now in the rulebook it's written :

OPTIONAL POLITICAL RULE

With this optional rule for politics, bluffing will no longer be completely
cost free, since a TC used to bluff will be out of the player’s
hand for one whole turn. It is recommended to play with this option.

So they recommend to play with this option. Should we use it? Why did they make it optional if it's recommended?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my very very limited experience, it doesn't really matter all that much.

Either way is fine. Bluffing is useful, but not the be all end all. Plus, you will usually bluff with a weak card to potentially feint your opponents into believing you have a weak hand.

But for the most part bluffing is a small trick with little overall impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Was that in the actual rulebook? I had only seen that as an "expansion" you could download from the internet. I haven't played with that rule yet, but it does add a little bit of extra strategy with just a tiny tweak so I would play with it.

Also... just a note that Maria is a 3-player game, so I'm not sure it's going to work as well if it's you + 3 friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The option was added to the rulebook with the 2nd print run.

Basically, using the option favours Austria (because Austria is the last one to bid and will know when there is an empty slot on the TC display). As written in the rules, using the option makes bluffing a bit of a nail biter (depending on the situation. In my experience, esp. France suffers from lacking bluff TCs).

On the downside, using the option adds one more step to the political stage, which might be one too much for beginners.

For beginners, I'd say play w/o that option. You will find enough depth and subtleties in the game, I am quite sure about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
lolll yeah me and two friends sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.