Subject: Semi-heavy NEW game for six players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have our annual gaming getaway weekend coming up and this time it is six people going. We have already packed our last time favourites Zombicide: Black Plague and Small World (six player game). Probably will also play AGoT the Board Game (and it will take at least five hours).

I started to wonder if there's anything new (1-2 years old) that could add to our experience. There's a ton of interesting looking games, but they are either for lower player count than six or superduperwhoper-heavy with six.

To give you some idea what I like here's a rundown:

- I REALLY enjoy Warmachine and miniature war games (but they are really two player and dragging all our terrain is not suitable for this trip)
- Chaos in the Old World is great, but it is max five players
- Blood Rage looks like fun too, but it is max five players
- Runewars is great, but for four players only
- Fantasy beats Scifi
- 3-4 playtime would be sweet, but 1h per player can be done
- If there is somekind of story that evolves that's great
- No co-ops, at least two sides.
- Team play is fun!
- Some way to mitigate the downtime (simultaneous action choosing etc.)is kinda mandatory.

Could you recommend a game for me? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just realized that a token based miniature battle game for six players might be what I'm looking for. Is there any?

But don't let that stop you for recommending something completely different.

And nevermind the two years old rule, there might be a hidden old gem somewhere, right!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

- Sci-fi, not fantasy
- haven't played it so don't know what the downtime is like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species goes up to 6, and is one of my favorite area control games along with Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World. It's older than 2 years, and the components aren't much to write home about, but it's an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe goes up to 7 with the player expansion but that requires a rather heavy financial investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I have, though I fear none are super heavy:

Lords of Waterdeep + Expansion is 6 players. Not terribly heavy, but really fun.

Drakon - Also lighter, but a fun dungeon crawl.

Fist of Dragonstones - Fantastic auction game if you can find it.

Libertalia - Super fun pirate themed game about dividing up loot.

Colt Express - Programming game about a train heist in the wild west.

Dice Town + Expansion - Sort of like King of Tokyo, but with Wild West card dice. Rolling poker hands is fun!

Battlestar Galactica or Dark Moon - Both play 6, though neither is heavy. I have yet to play Dark Moon, but since it plays quicker I'd assume it's a lighter game.

Dominare - I take that back, this one can get heavy. Card based area control game set in a fictional medieval/renaissance sort of setting. It's not too highly rated I think in part due to a complicated rule set, but once you figure it out the game is a blast.

Unfortunately heavier games tend to be longer games, so player counts typically stay around 4. You named most of the
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Dominant Species goes up to 6, and is one of my favorite area control games along with Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World. It's older than 2 years, and the components aren't much to write home about, but it's an excellent game.

How'd I forget Dominant Species! IF you want heavy, this is the one to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One to look at in the future will be Scythe with the upcoming expansion, which will then accommodate six players.

Right now you might consider Antike II. It is a 6-player dudes-on-a-map game that does not take forever to play. The "minis" are actually wooden army meeples and ships, so it won't give the thematic immersion of detailed miniatures, if that is your thing. But game play is tight and easy to learn, which makes this game quick to get going for a group of new players.

Players represent ancient civilizations (Greece, Rome, etc.) and each accomplishment is rewarded with a card of figures from history or mythology (Agamemnon, Plato, Ptolemy, etc.), so there can be a bit of story made up along the way, if players want to create their own flavor text.

It may not be a huge, epic experience, but it's good at what it does. Take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:

- Sci-fi, not fantasy

Downtime can be longish. It's mitigated slightly due to the fact that some of the actions players can take also allow the other players to take an alternative secondary action. Additionally, the may be some negotiation happening between non active players as well (it's usually the case in games that I've played). It's a fun ride though. Long (think 6-8 hours for a first game), but fun.

Eclipse is a good alternative as well (in the sci-fi realm). This is more euro-ish than Twilight Imperium. Additionally, if you grab the expansion there's a variant that allows for simultaneous actions that speeds up gameplay a fair bit.

I'll think on any fantasy options and update if I can come up with something.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
Cyclades: Titans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
Scythe goes up to 7 with the player expansion but that requires a rather heavy financial investment.
And it is not available yet...

As for suggestions, how about:

Warrior Knights

or

Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Deduction games may be an interesting new try. Maybe something like Black Vienna or Salem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:

- Sci-fi, not fantasy

First expansion mitigates downtime. Overall play time though will be a no go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not new by any means, but Imperial 2030 or the original Imperial may interest you. It would definitely feel different than the games you mentioned. Even though at first glance it appears to be like Risk, it's actually a stock holding game where the players are war profiteers. It's fascinating, it's very interactive, and it feels epic (in a way most Euros don't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers by Rick Heli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not new, but Senji is one of the best 6-player games ever made (in fact, that's its one major problem: it's really only good with five[good] and six[best]).

If you put to one side the fact it isn't new, and the playtime is a bit short, it ticks pretty much all your other boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it for a decent price (OOP for quite a while):

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame is really cool and team-based (Alliance vs Horde).

Combat is so much fun in this game.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.