Subject: Retirement plan-- LOTTO! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to leave a poll here-- you can comment if you want to, afterward.
Your poll answers are anonymous, in any case.

Poll
1. Do you buy lottery and/ or "scratch" tickets?
Never
I used to but I've swore off of them now
Just once in a while
Only if the jackpot is (in my opinion) "worthwhile"/ really huge
I do if I happen to feel like it
I usually do, but sometimes I skip it
Yes; regularly (individual purchase)
Yes; regularly (part of a group/ syndicate purchase)
Yes; regularly (individually AND as part of a group)
2. How much (generally) do you spend per week on lottery tickets (including "scratch" tickets)?
$0
$2 - $5
$5 -$10
$10 - $20
$20 - $50
$50+
3. What has been your biggest lottery win, in the past?
A free play
$5 -$10
$10 - $50
$50 - $100
$100 - $500
$500 - $1,000
$1,000- $100,000
I've actually hit a really big pot ($100,000+)
      114 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will ask me to grab a ticket, just for fun, on some of the record breaking jackpots. I tend to drop maybe $5 a time, and this happens maybe twice a year on average, so my average per week cost is about 20 cents. I put '0' figuring this was actually closer to the truth than $2.

I have no illusions - the odds are literally worse than astronomical; to say we're not likely to win is like saying it'd be challenging to soak up the Pacific ocean with a single roll of cheap paper towels. But I also probably lose more than 20 cents a week doing stupid stuff on a regular basis, so it doesn't worry me too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I never play but people GIVE me tickets every once in a while (Christmas and my brother-in-law thinks it is good luck to give out tickets...).

Most I've won is $2 which of course I gave back to my brother-in-law (two free plays, I guess)

Edit: are lottery tickets $2 now? I'm behind the times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Retirement plan-- LOTTO!https://boardgamegeek.com/article/edit/23629805
I play using my mothers old numbers, after she died I thought "would it not be gutting if that ticket now came up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every two weeks, when I get my paycheck, I'll buy a $2 Powerball ticket, and for the next 2-3 days I can daydream about winning.

$2 for 2-3 days of dreaming what I would do with a lot of $? Pretty cheap entertainment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out my correct answer for my biggest win: I have never won anything, not even a free ticket! Then again, I've bought about 5 tickets in my life, so that's not a big surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy tickets when the jackpot is some huge amount of money. I figure I'm buying a little bit of hope as you can't win if you don't play. I understand it is a tax on those that are bad at math.

I also participate in any office pool. I don't want to be the one person that has to keep on working in the highly unlikely circumstance that the office wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has gotten the holiday scratch offs as one of the go-to stocking stuffers nearly every christmas. Just one of those silly traditions thats fun enough to stick around. We get PJs, a hot chocolate packet, the scratch off, and a dollar as our early christmas gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I happen to be in a place that sells them, I'll buy a Powerball ticket if the jackpot is really high.

"Santa" also brings lottery tickets for Xmas.

Many years ago, both my wife and I were in pools at work. As Michael said above, the dreams and discussion about what one would do with the winning were worth the price of entry.

I think we've gotten low double digits a couple times, but usually among the ten tickets at Christmas we turn $20 or $30 into $2 or $3.

My wife's pool won a couple hundred in the Powerball (before it was called that), but the best I've ever done was $5, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

So here's my scheme to win it big:

The odds of winning anything significant is so infinitesimally small, that I really don't need to buy a ticket.
I have the same chance of finding a winning ticket in the gutter as I do of buying a winning ticket!

And I must be right, because my results so far are exactly as expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play when the expected winnings given a single winner are significantly greater than zero. (Of course, this discounts the possibility of multiple winners, but since I won't win anyway, I pretend my approximation is accurate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I usually only buy a single lotto ticket when it hits $300Million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might spend 20 bucks a year on lotto.
Occasionally when the urge hits when passing a scratch-off vending machine, or at a gas station; or when it's some insanely high number.
I never play the same numbers, I always do a quick pick or only pick one or two numbers - because if the numbers I "usually" played, come up on a week I didn't play, I'd be kicking myself across the country.

The most i've one through lotto or scratch off is 20 bucks.
However, the most I've won through sweepstakes is $23,500 - from Reader's Digest sweepstakes about 15 years ago. The winning notice came on one sheet of paper, in a plain white envelope. I almost through it away.
Now I open all my mail.

But you all don't have to open all your mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Eh.

I don't really think about buying any so I don't. I also don't do football pools, picking numbers and stuff like that.

But, get me on a blackjack table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once every 7.3 years or so I get to feeling really lucky and I think to myself, "Today is the day, I need to go buy a lottery ticket!" Then I realize I was wrong all along, it wasn't "the day" and then I wish I had my $2 back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my in-laws started having financial troubles a while back, well... bigger financial troubles... they've always had financial troubles to be honest, my mother-in-law started buying lottery tickets and praying for God to help them out.

That's just really sad.

For a while my brother-in-law would buy me lottery tickets as a birthday gift. He probably spent $200 or so on them over the years. I think I won about $40 over that entire period.

I've only ever bought tickets myself when there was a pool going around at work and the jackpot was hundreds of millions. I knew going in that I wouldn't win, but it seemed to be the the thing to do from a "fitting in with the coworkers" perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
When my in-laws started having financial troubles a while back, well... bigger financial troubles... they've always had financial troubles to be honest, my mother-in-law started buying lottery tickets and praying for God to help them out.

That's just really sad.

For a while my brother-in-law would buy me lottery tickets as a birthday gift. He probably spent $200 or so on them over the years. I think I won about $40 over that entire period.

I've only ever bought tickets myself when there was a pool going around at work and the jackpot was hundreds of millions. I knew going in that I wouldn't win, but it seemed to be the the thing to do from a "fitting in with the coworkers" perspective.

Can you imagine the feeling if you don't join the pool and your co-workers did win. This is what motivates me to join the office pool, the fear of it actually happening and I'm not involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Can you imagine the feeling if you don't join the pool and your co-workers did win. This is what motivates me to join the office pool, the fear of it actually happening and I'm not involved.
It would probably feel just as bad as if I were to spontaneously combust. And yet, I'm not going to wear icepacks on my head for the rest of my life in preparation for the extremely remote chance that I do spontaneously combust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Eh.

I don't really think about buying any so I don't. I also don't do football pools, picking numbers and stuff like that.

But, get me on a blackjack table. ;)

I do play craps when I go to Vegas but I budget it as "entertainment" money (with "free" drinks) including spacing out the sessions and I usually at least break even by playing conservatively. Plus it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

It would probably feel just as bad as if I were to spontaneously combust. And yet, I'm not going to wear icepacks on my head for the rest of my life in preparation for the extremely remote chance that I do spontaneously combust.

You want to risk Spontaneous Combustion, that's your choice. I just ask you don't stand near me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sometimes bought the bingo scratch games. Mainly to play the game. Once while I was in college, I bought like 3 of them when I was in Kentucky a while, I played two of them but then I got bored or busy and the other one sat on my table for about 6 weeks waiting to be played. It turned out to be a $500 ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:

Edit: are lottery tickets $2 now? I'm behind the times

It depends on what you buy. You can play the lottery for anywhere from $1 to $20 depending on which scratch card or ticket you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
No lottery here. I'm down something like $0 in the last 20 years. Up a similar amount.

I WIN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I had a winning ticket and the 7/11 clerk told me I had won $5.

I told him he was full of shit and that it was $150... Oh, yeah, I misread the result... Lucky for me I had checked the ticket online before redeeming.

Now the self scanners show the winning amounts... which are usually "Sorry not a winner"

I rarely play but do give tickets (lottery and scratchers) as gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about the pull tabs games they have in bars up in Spokane (and presumably the rest of Washington State...)

When I was stationed up there, didn't know what they were, so asked the bartender about them. He explained they were basically self contained lottery games, so I purchased a couple out of one... and promptly uncovered a $50 winner!

...I was so excited when I saw the winner at the table, I immediately signaled the waitress for a shot and a drink for all my friends at the table (if I remember right, there were like 8 or 10 of us...)

...so, yeah, a net money loss on that one... Ah, well, it was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.