Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Going from expansion campaigns back to basic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For those that have done either People of the Stars or People of the Sun, I noticed that particularly for the dragon campaign that your survivors seem to be able to get a lot more powerful. Is it easy to go back to vanilla after playing that or do you find that you don't want to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come back to a core-ish campaign (Bloom) after People of the Sun. I can't recall to you how many times I've sighed and said "in people of the sun you can......" or "the starting event for people of the sun gives.......". Yeah its tough. I loved the alternate timelines, survival actions (for Sun at least), and story events. Its hard going back to vanilla though its not bad per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... I much prefer the People of the Stars campaign at this point- I just think it's more exciting to have super survivors and think the structure is better. The only advantage of the core, really, is flexibility, IMHO. I don't really miss any of the watcher-specific stuff, like the Twilight Knight, saviors, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm this viewpoint has me hesitant to try those campaigns because it is often in games hard to go back to not having abilities or certain powers... I don't want to risk ruining the vanilla campaign for myself since it is a lot more flexible with adding other expansions. Or are you guys finding that other expansions can also mix well in those campaigns?

I'm definitely of the type where I would prefer better survivors and fighting tougher monsters than what I am able to do at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
Hmm this viewpoint has me hesitant to try those campaigns because it is often in games hard to go back to not having abilities or certain powers... I don't want to risk ruining the vanilla campaign for myself since it is a lot more flexible with adding other expansions. Or are you guys finding that other expansions can also mix well in those campaigns?

I'm definitely of the type where I would prefer better survivors and fighting tougher monsters than what I am able to do at the moment.

Honestly vanilla is still great. Its just that I really liked the alternative flavor provided to me by People of the Sun (I haven't played/don't own Dragon King). I am happy to go back to a vanilla campaign and try other stuff out. Like maybe vanilla with just Slenderman thrown in or even pure vanilla. I like it all. I just like some parts more than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
There's only supposed to be one Dragon Tyrant, but you end up in another settlement ruled by a Dragon Tyrant? Are all the Tyrants just idiots or what?
We decided that, or he's just really forgetful, being that old, and all. Killed off the other guys while you were gone, and forgot about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
strewart wrote:
For those that have done either People of the Stars or People of the Sun, I noticed that particularly for the dragon campaign that your survivors seem to be able to get a lot more powerful. Is it easy to go back to vanilla after playing that or do you find that you don't want to?

I just love the Stars campaign! The focus on lineage and fewer survivors is an awesome thing, especially for a solo player it becomes easier to manage. The only downer I have is that expansions, and the new pinup Hunt Events and other addons I assume, are not to be added to this campaign.

Right now, my settlement in the Stars campaign is dying a slow death. I expect I'll move back to the core game, since I miss the expansions and despite owning all, I've only played 3.

I can't wait for the custom campaign book, so I can add select expansions to the Stars campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenskwa Tawa
Spain
Alicante
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

The best thing about Star People however is the fact that you can slam any expansions you like into it and it works just fine.

Sorry, what do you mean by that? I haven't played it yet (I've been trying all the expansion monsters, so I haven't tried the "big" expansion campaigns yet, I'm currently playing a Bloom People), but if I remember correctly, People of the Stars is the one campaing where they specifically tell you you shouldn't add expansions, isn't it?

I'm genuinely interested, because being able to add other monsters to it without messing with the campaign would be sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
TenskwaTawa wrote:
Styfen wrote:

The best thing about Star People however is the fact that you can slam any expansions you like into it and it works just fine.

Sorry, what do you mean by that? I haven't played it yet (I've been trying all the expansion monsters, so I haven't tried the "big" expansion campaigns yet, I'm currently playing a Bloom People), but if I remember correctly, People of the Stars is the one campaing where they specifically tell you you shouldn't add expansions, isn't it?

I'm genuinely interested, because being able to add other monsters to it without messing with the campaign would be sweet.

Agreed, the DK book does say that. I do find the Stars campaign to be my favourite and would like to know other's experiences of adding expansions. I'm guessing this will require lots of time and serious testing, which is why I'll only probably attempt it once the custom campaign book comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think People of the Sun should've had the no expansions disclaimer over People of the Stars. From what I've read Stars seems to chug along fine if you throw in other expansions.

People of the Sun pretty much are restricted from a lot of craftable armor from expansion monsters (no heavy armor, there is one sustainable way around this), and nemeses are VERY deadly to your campaign. You do not want to add in Lion Knight or Manhunter to a Sun campaign unless you like playing Russian roulette.

As to the guy who mentioned hunting Sunstalkers in a Sun campaign........just no. Its like hunting a DK in a Stars campaign. Totally breaks the narrative for me and my suspension of disbelief. My first Sun campaign was just with the 3 core monsters and it was really fun. Though TBH we focused on Plumery gear more than stuff from the Sacred Pool. Probably a mistake. Though we "won" in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had heard that the abilities required to buff up your survivors in the dragon campaign would be a lot harder to achieve if you throw a bunch of expansions in? No firsthand knowledge of course...

Is it possible to still get the Sunstalker armour in its campaign and dragon armour in its campaign? To me it seems a bit odd if you can't since you can't hunt either of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
I had heard that the abilities required to buff up your survivors in the dragon campaign would be a lot harder to achieve if you throw a bunch of expansions in? No firsthand knowledge of course...

Is it possible to still get the Sunstalker armour in its campaign and dragon armour in its campaign? To me it seems a bit odd if you can't since you can't hunt either of them.

Though there is no explicit rule forbidding hunting the Sunstalker or Dragon King in their respective campaigns I think it would be pretty counter-intuitive and an inexcusable violation of the narrative.

Think about it; your civilizations worship these entities......you're not going to go hunt one. Also, if the expansions intended/allowed you to hunt these in their respective campaigns I think their intro events (that make them huntable) would've been included on the official campaign sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Updated Lantern Horde- where you can train your people.

That's a huge advantage that you can't get if you use some other starting settlement location.

I've played all sorts of campaigns, and they're all pretty great. I do think it is best to start out with a vanilla or near vanilla watcher campaign.

I'm also super interested in trying out People of the Bone (or was it skull). The one where your survivors can only use bone gear, but they get to perform skull rituals which make them amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah People of the Skull is next on my list. Also want to try 7 Swordsmen and Twilight Knight in training for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried twilight knight training- loads of fun, but we failed to keep her alive.

Haven't tried 7 swordsmen yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.