BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Types of player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while, I've wanted to give designing a game a go. A few weeks ago, I finally started to give it a go. Because this is the general 'design theory' board, I won't go into details on what I'm working on. Not because I'm afraid anyone will steal my idea (ideas are a dime a dozen, right ), but because that doesn't appear to be in the spirit of this board, and because I'd like any discussion to be relatively generic for the sake future readers

Onwards to the actual question. The idea I'm working on will be one in which multiple players are forming card combos. Think like the old Wave Race game on Nintendo 64, where you're performing combos by linking up moves, that kind of thing.
Now I'd like it to have some player interaction, but not in a nasty way. So no 'ramming the other guy' to break their combo. I just think it would ruin the fun when you're going 'ouuuh look at my happy combo' and someone yells 'NOPE' and drops a 'your last move fails and you lose all your points' kind of card.
But what are other options? I'm considering a 'copy the other guy's last move' kind of thing, for example. But I'm having a hard time coming up with more stuff without resorting to 'take that'.

Of course I've done some searching, but what I found was more high level. I'm looking for some more practical examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not consider
Quote:
'copy the other guy's last move'
any type of interaction.

Take a look at Venture how to break a combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's see, besides direct attack, "interaction" includes:

blocking
trading
buy/sell transactions
auctions
cooperation
leeching
economies (players' choices set price and availability of something)
??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
make some information 'open' so, some careful planning could lead to a combo break/delay OR the dodging of such an attack. Basically, another level of planning where a player isn't 'certain' an attack is being formed, but it might be. Nothing surprising with a 'calculated risk' going wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
quill65 wrote:
Let's see, besides direct attack, "interaction" includes:

blocking
trading
buy/sell transactions
auctions
cooperation
leeching
economies (players' choices set price and availability of something)
??

This is a pretty good list, with each of these items having many ways to implement.

Other interactions include:
Bribery/Extortion
Bluffing
Voting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a rough design that shares some similarities to your description, and at the moment my thoughts on how to handle that kind of thing include:

* If a super-cool move is countered early on, then the player trying to make that move takes a minor penalty and performs a lesser version of the move

* There's one position where, if you can get there, will let you perform the super-cool move without being interrupted, and then you immediately leave that position - it's also the only position where only one player can enter at a time, which creates tension when two players are clearly aiming for it

* Some move are more "defensive", so they don't score quite as well but they're also less likely to be countered, whereas other moves are riskier (because they're easier to block) but if successful they score well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Whittaker
United States
Egg Harbor Twp.
New Jersey
flag msg tools
A few mechanics I can think of related to your example...

Combo's are played over multiple turns with the cards to "draw" from and played cards are face up. This would allow another players to "draw" a card another player may need to complete a combo.

Similar can be done with some type of "action" mechanic. Worker placement-esque, where you need to take an action to perform it. Another player could then take the combo-required action, preventing or delaying the combo.

Along the action idea, if some actions affected the other players directly that could work. Prevent another player from playing an action, prevent an action from being performed, prevent a type of card from being played.

Combo's may need to be played in a specific order- maybe another players action forces the players to play a specific card/type of card.

Game could be in "rounds" that everyone plays the same number of, then allow another player to "end the round" before combo player can finish the combo. (Sushi Go, World's Fair)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.