Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Best rules dispute resolution ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So I brought Scythe to Pacificon this last weekend, where it was the talk of the town (three different people pointed it out during the walk from my car to the registration desk ). I got to the con early on Friday and decided to run a pickup game while waiting for my friends to get there. Three other people joined in, including one gentleman named Richard who said he hadn't played before.

The teaching was going well, until about halfway through the game when we had a rules question. After some searching through the rulebook, Richard pulls out his phone and makes a call.

"Hi Jamey, we're playing Scythe and just had a minor rules question..."

!

Apparently he knew Jamey from "the Internet". Anyway, Jamey, if that was you, THANK YOU, and if it wasn't, good on Richard for pulling one over on me
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, the curiosity is just killing me... what was the question?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Yes, I have access to all the designers on speed dial and on first name terms, whenever I need a favourable rules resolution. Never fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, he must have been really committed, because it didn't go in his favor ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ObligatoryReference wrote:
So I brought Scythe to Pacificon this last weekend, where it was the talk of the town (three different people pointed it out during the walk from my car to the registration desk ). I got to the con early on Friday and decided to run a pickup game while waiting for my friends to get there. Three other people joined in, including one gentleman named Richard who said he hadn't played before.

The teaching was going well, until about halfway through the game when we had a rules question. After some searching through the rulebook, Richard pulls out his phone and makes a call.

"Hi Jamey, we're playing Scythe and just had a minor rules question..."

!

Apparently he knew Jamey from "the Internet". Anyway, Jamey, if that was you, THANK YOU, and if it wasn't, good on Richard for pulling one over on me

This brings customer post-sale service to a new dimension!

It would be fun if Jamie himself could confirm this (as he reads most of the threads concerning Scythe XD)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Yes, I have access to all the designers on speed dial and on first name terms, whenever I need a favourable rules resolution. Never fails.

I tried that with Martin Wallace. Didn't end well - he can rarely remember the rules to his own games, and frequently changes his mind as to what they should be!

Reiner's not a lot better. Though in his case he usually blames me for "not playing correctly", or says that the publisher changed the rules so often, I should talk to them not him.

Garfield refuses to answer his phone unless I first deposit $1,000 into his special account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Richard called me with a question this past weekend...for the life of me I can't remember now what the question was. It was something that's clearly in the rulebook, but on the spot at a convention, it's something that was easier to ask someone than look up.

I should note, though, that it was Richard Bliss, former podcaster behind the Funding the Dream podcast. He had my phone number because I was a guest on his podcast a number of times. He's a really, really good guy, and I'll always pick up the phone for him. Also, I was aware that he was learning Scythe that weekend, so I figured it was just a quick rules question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yay, he wasn't messing with me

Thanks for the awesome response, Jamey, and it's always a good time teaching your games!

EDIT: And I can't remember exactly what the question was, either - maybe something about tunnels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate you teaching our games, Craig--thank you!

It might be related to tunnels...I really can't remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Boulden
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm right because I'm RIGHT!
badge
Christian Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmed by Jamie! That's just... awesome, cool (though I've been told cool is not a thing any more), epic, amazing, and admirable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.