Subject: Rorkes drift recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a decent zulu wars game...preferably covering rorkes drift. I'm not too keen on block games and so Victoria cross isn't the game for me and whilst I'm keen to give zulu on the ramparts a try I think I'm looking for something a little less abstract. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that Zulus on the ramparts was not that much of an abstract game, mainly helped in that by the cards themselves. The Zulus are just standees that approach, but each and every card you play has some flavor that conveys some mood and background.

But that's what I thought was just needed for the game to not be too abstract ^^ And I loved it ! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Taylor
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a block game anymore,I love this game.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29199/victoria-cross-ii
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest incarnation of Victoria Cross II is not a block game. And it's a pretty fun simple game

The Defense of Rorke's Drift is a much more complex game, one counter per man. A little too complex for my taste any more, but you might have a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much...I had no idea the second edition got rid of the blocks...Definitely going to check it out along with the other recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoyed Defence of Rorke's Drift. It might have been a little fiddly, but I enjoyed knowing that Colour Sgt. Bourne did this, Henry Hook escaped from the hospital along with 612 Williams and the Joneses and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3333 wrote:
I'm looking for a decent zulu wars game...preferably covering rorkes drift. I'm not too keen on block games and so Victoria cross isn't the game for me and whilst I'm keen to give zulu on the ramparts a try I think I'm looking for something a little less abstract. [b]Any ideas?[/b

Yes, get all of them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDMD wrote:
I quite enjoyed Defence of Rorke's Drift. It might have been a little fiddly, but I enjoyed knowing that Colour Sgt. Bourne did this, Henry Hook escaped from the hospital along with 612 Williams and the Joneses and so on.

Yeah I think that's what appeals to me also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll still go with Zulus on the Ramparts! - the iPad version really works the best for me since I can carry it around easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you're probably not looking for a recommendation for a miniature war game but have you seen the Rorkes Drift set that Warlord Games do for their Black Powder game:

You can find details of the game here: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/anglo-zulu-war-18...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love that set, but i know it would sit here unpainted for a decade or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also The Battle of Roark's Drift from 1978 (I know, it was mis-spelled).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDMD wrote:

Of about 130 defenders, 19 or so were killed, almost all by rifle fire from the hill. There were around 400 dead Zulus at the end of the action, maybe 20,000 shell cases on the ground and each man would have used approximately three rifles. Which gives an idea of what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Defense of Rorke's Drift" is very good, though it takes a little effort to learn because it is a more sophisticated system than the other games currently available.

As an item of information, when I received Plastic Soldier Company's new game on the Pelopponnesian War, a brochure was enclosed. On the list of new-games-coming-down-the-line is a new iteration of the Worthington Zulu War game (which presently features Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift, using the same system for both [!]).

The new version will have plastic figures for both sides. I'm hoping it will also feature more scenarios.

However, it is probably a couple of years away.

One other option is a miniature set, not the large 28mm version pictured above (which comes unpainted), but a 15mm scale reproduction of the compound and uses Old Glory 15/18mm Zulu War metal figures. This set is available either with, or without, figures, but it also comes unpainted. It includes an easy-to-learn rule set.

I'm not sure whether the best access is via Old Glory Shipyard (Joel Gregory) or Old Glory Miniatures (the two entities are really branches of the same tree, and work together). I have one, and like it.

EDIT: sorry, I wrote the following paragraph before noticing that another gentleman had posted info on the "Roark's Drift" game. I beg his pardon, but I'll leave the paragraph in for the small bit of additional info:

Finally, if you can find one, there's the very first man/small group-scale Rorke's Drift game, designed in the '70s and published by Herb Barents, who used the alternative spelling for the game title: "Roark's Drift." While it has a few ambiguous rules, it's easy to learn, evocative in feel and plays faster than "Defense of Rorke's Drift." If you can track down a copy, you'll probably enjoy it, as it does show more of the "epic scope" of RD with the single-man, bright-red British counters.

Unlike "Defense of R's D," however, Herb's design does not name each British soldier on the counter . . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I know you're probably not looking for a recommendation for a miniature war game but have you seen the Rorkes Drift set that Warlord Games do for their Black Powder game:

You can find details of the game here: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/anglo-zulu-war-18...

I have that set, and breathtaking is too tame a word for it! Lots of work to assemble and paint, for sure, but well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fulton
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Lions They Fought

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4500/lions-they-fought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

As an item of information, when I received Plastic Soldier Company's new game on the Pelopponnesian War, a brochure was enclosed. On the list of new-games-coming-down-the-line is a new iteration of the Worthington Zulu War game (which presently features Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift, using the same system for both [!]).

That's interesting. I like the Worthington Game Victoria Cross II, Short, Simple, well balanced and fairly evocative. And I backed their recent collaboration with PSC for an American Revolution game, in which the figures look fantastic. Hold the Line

So reworked Victoria Cross with PSC figures would be of considerable interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modest
aforandy wrote:
TDMD wrote:

Of about 130 defenders, 19 or so were killed, almost all by rifle fire from the hill. There were around 400 dead Zulus at the end of the action, maybe 20,000 shell cases on the ground and each man would have used approximately three rifles. Which gives an idea of what happened.

Andy, I was aware of the casualty figures, but was not aware of the shell casing count. To that, I can only say, "Wow"! When I mentioned knowing what happened, besides the real history, I also like the narrative the game creates by use of the individual Tommies' names.

It does make sense when one considers fatigue and that Martini-Henry had a propensity to foul up rather quickly.

On another note, someone above mentioned "Like Lions They Fought". While a fun little game, it doesn't cover Rorke's Drift, per se. It's more of an operational/strategic level game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulamala wrote:
Well I'll still go with Zulus on the Ramparts! - the iPad version really works the best for me since I can carry it around easily.

Wasn't it removed from the App Store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
luckystreak wrote:
paulamala wrote:

Wasn't it removed from the App Store?

Sure looks that way! When I get home I'm going to check my iPad to see if it disappeared there to.

[edit]: yes it is still in my iTunes store library on my computer, and I'm playing it on my iPad as I write this. Don't know why is disappeared from the store. The Victory Points Games web site even states that it is available for purchase for your mobile device. Confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.