Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the kickstarter comments alot of concern has been expressed about the burlap sack.
Burlap is very rough, greasy, it sheds material. It's just not a good material for boardgames Imho.
Yes it does look great, but looks aren't everything.

What's your thought on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew it was greasy.

What are you suppose to do with it anyways ? Store the cards??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Viva Java Dice game shipped w/ a burlap sack as part of the stretch goals. It caused some discoloration of the box and had a distinct odor when the box was opened. Apparently setting the bag out in sunlight for some time helped remove the smell and break down some of the natural oils, but it sat in a box for that amount of time until it was taken out.

I think including a burlap sack would be a mistake, but I'm not a backer so don't really have any say here. Those of you who _are_ backers, I'd suggest you encourage Artipia to read the comments about Viva Java the Coffee Game the Dice Game's bag to see if they really want to go down that path. (and soon before the campaign ends, too. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I should weigh in on this since I've been informed that burlap and sackcloth are the same thing.

If I only had half a century of fiber arts experience to back me up..

oh wait. I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Not sure I should weigh in on this since I've been informed that burlap and sackcloth are the same thing.

oh wait. I do.

In your experience, what would be the best way (if there is one) to include this sort of sack without risking damage to the components or box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
wren08 wrote:

oh wait. I do.

In your experience, what would be the best way (if there is one) to include this sort of sack without risking damage to the components or box?

Enclose offending bag in a ziplock or shrink wrap it. Essentially the same thing MacDonald's does with the kid's meal toy or almost every game I have ever unwrapped does with dice or small components.

By the way, sackcloth and burlap have approximately the same relationship as silk and satin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that seems to be for debate.
Quote:
sackcloth
noun
a very coarse, rough fabric woven from flax or hemp.
synonyms: hessian, sacking, hopsack, hopsacking, burlap; gunny; tāt; historicalpoldavy, stramin, sugarsack
"both clergy and laity wore an extremely uncomfortable black sackcloth"

So not that strange to think they're the same.

Also the very limited communication on this matter is not helping to but people at ease.

It does look cool, I agree on that.
But I've never seen something that looks like this (burlap, sackcloth, whatever it's called) that I would want to put cardboard tokens in.
Not saying that there isn't a way to make bags that look this way that would be suited. Just in my experience material that looks this way is for other stuff then cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
By the way, sackcloth and burlap have approximately the same relationship as silk and satin.

If used correctly, yes. But colloquially, they are often used as synonyms. Do you really trust not only Artipia, but also their supplier to make that distinction, likely in a language that isn't their first seeing how Artipia is based in Greece? Also, while they're not the same, they're not dissimilar and I'm not at all sure sackcloth wouldn't have the same or similar problems as burlap, though maybe you know more about that.

Though of course, all of that could easily be alleviated if Artipia either switched to one of the many suggested alternatives or, as you proposed, just committed to sealing the burlap separately from the other components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:
wren08 wrote:

If used correctly, yes. But colloquially, they are often used as synonyms. Do you really trust not only Artipia, but also their supplier to make that distinction, likely in a language that isn't their first seeing how Artipia is based in Greece? Also, while they're not the same, they're not dissimilar and I'm not at all sure sackcloth wouldn't have the same or similar problems as burlap, though maybe you know more about that.

Though of course, all of that could easily be alleviated if Artipia either switched to one of the many suggested alternatives or, as you proposed, just committed to sealing the burlap separately from the other components.

I actually did post the suggestion over on KS. I'd have rather had more cards or upgraded coins or something- I can make a bag out of anything I want in about a quarter of an hour- but having read about the Vivajava fiasco, I do understand the concerns!

And I guess I am asking a lot for people to know the distinction between a term for usage and an actual material. I know... but it's an area of expertise of mine and I tend to forget that.

In all cases, it would be better if Artpia would just reassure people that the bag will be sealed away from other components- just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.