Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is it worth opposing Infiltrate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Ellis
msg tools
I'm in two minds about this- when I play Rebels, I always infiltrate (usually with the sacrificial Dodonna so I can burn through the rubbish Phase 1 objectives and get to the sweet Phase 2 objectives as soon as possible.

Yet when I'm playing Empire, I dont usually bother to oppose Infiltrate in the early game as the Emperor is better used for Rule by Fea or opposing Mon Mothma's Build Alliance, and Tarkin only has 1 Intelligence, so doesnt have good odds to beat Dodonna or Leia. Plus its usually easier to Capture an Infiltrating Rebel rather than oppose Infiltrate)

But... given how useful Infiltrate is to Rebels, should we be opposing it in the early game? Keeping the leader back for that is slowing my own planet and resource grabbing (if I had to choose between moving a fleet to occcupy Mon Calamari with Tarkin or opposing a Turn 1 Infiltrate with him, I know I'd do the former)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
It's hard to say as the benefit for Infiltration is kind of intangible. It's not a direct effect on the board state. However I do think it is important.

Turn 1 I rarely oppose missions as the Empire as I want retain the last activation to make sure my R&D can remove sabotage from somewhere critical if needed. Later on though, especially if I get Wulf, I will oppose Infiltration. To be fair though, I've never really focused on stopping it altogether. I wouldn't say it is a high priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the objectives get easier the higher the number on the back of the card (i.e. IIIs are easier than IIs are easier than Is). So opposing them after a few turns is important, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Rebel I also very often use Infiltrate - to get to phase 2 asap. And as a Imperial player I'm aware of Infiltration importance and try to oppose it if possible and if I have no other high priorities for Inteligence leaders. But prior to that I like to get high Inteligence leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ertai_PL wrote:
prior to that I like to get high Inteligence leader

I feel like Yulren is probably the strongest leader besides Boba that the Empire can recruit. He is strong tactically on top of the fact that only he can do a few of the stronger missions against captured leaders.

Anyway, as a rebel I almost always infiltrate the first 2 turns, getting rid of the lousier tier 1 OBJECTIVES. In tier 2 I tend to lay off infiltration because I end up having to choose between 2 cards I would have been happy to have. (unless I can narrow down the information about them in some way).
In tier 3 I think its important again, but even as a successful rebel player I usually do not draw the last few tier 3 cards.

As much as its a must to infiltrate in the first 2 turns, I have never spent a leader to oppose this as the Empire. But man I am happy when my opponent decides not to attempt the mission himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that a intelligent rebel with infiltrate on a planet where there are dangerous imperial forces.

If opposed, the forces can't move and it hinders the imperium a lot
If not opposed, he get to get through the objectives deck.

So opposing an infiltration (or any other rebs mission) is often a case of conserving the possibility to move forces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
Note also that a intelligent rebel with infiltrate on a planet where there are dangerous imperial forces.

Agreed. If the Rebels Infiltrate on a fleet that you don't intend to move this turn, it's probably worth opposing. But most of the time the loss of an Imperial leader and the inability to move a key fleet makes it too costly to oppose this mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
The Imperial player should make at least one move the first turn, and two would be ideal. Depending on the starting setup Rule By Fear may be necessary (Corellia is a good example) and if the player feels like doing R&D the first turn is a good time to start. If anything instead of opposing Infiltrate early it might be better to have Vader try to capture the infiltrator to give an early action economy edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
The Imperial player should make at least one move the first turn, and two would be ideal. Depending on the starting setup Rule By Fear may be necessary (Corellia is a good example) and if the player feels like doing R&D the first turn is a good time to start. If anything instead of opposing Infiltrate early it might be better to have Vader try to capture the infiltrator to give an early action economy edge.

I tend to agree, I would almost never move just once as the empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels more efficient to try and capture the leader as a lot of the rebel leaders who tend to go on infiltrate mission have pretty bad spec ops. Biggest reason I don't tend to do infiltrate much. Too risky for capture.

Opposing missions tends to only be worth it towards the middle of the game when you're not starved for leaders. And by then people tend to not do infiltrate missions as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.