Hide
6 Posts

Traders of Osaka» Forums » Rules

Subject: [SOLVED] - Can you discard more than one card for insurance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
Can you discard more than one card for insurance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you discard more than one card for insurance?
Yes, you can discard more than one card. The main thing is the number of insurance icons on the cards vs the number of cards you want to insure. A card with two icons can insure two separate good cards or you can discard two cards with one icon each for the same result. See the example on page 10 of the rules.
Reminder: a player may insure one good of the same color as the discarded card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Can you discard more than one card for insurance?

Here is a quote from the rules. Is there something in the wording that gives you doubt? Note that the first sentence uses the plural, "cards". I have highlighted that along with another phrase.

Insurance
You may use cards with Insurance icons to insure goods of the same color as the card to protect them from sinking.

Starting with the active player (the player who moved the ship[s] to Edo) and proceeding clockwise, each player may insure as many goods as he or she is able. To insure a good, a player must discard a card with one or more Insurance icons; for each Insurance icon depicted on a discarded card, a player may insure one good of the same color as the discarded card.

Additionally there is an illustrated example on page 10 that is suported by the sentence,

The player discards these three cards to insure four goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Thanks for all your help guys. I agree... you can!

TVis wrote:
<snip>

Actually it is not very clear.... lets look at the rules...

Rules PDF from Z-Man Website wrote:
Insurance
You may use cards with Insurance icons to insure goods of the same color as the card to protect them from sinking.

Starting with the active player (the player who moved the ship[s] to Edo)
and proceeding clockwise, each player may insure as many goods as he or she is able.

To insure a good, a player must discard a card with one or more Insurance icons; for each Insurance icon depicted on a discarded card, a player may insure one good of the same color as the discarded card.

To mark that a good has been insured, rotate it 90 degrees. This good can
never be lost to sinking.

During payday, insured goods are sold as normal.

Orange Highlight : This actually has no significance to the amount of cards that can be discard, as you suggested. The words "cards" here is describing the "there are cards with the icons"... not that you can use multiple cards with icons. This is easy to get confused.

Greenish Highlight : Again, unlike you suggest, this fragment has nothing to do with the actual mechanical rules of discarding. It is simply saying "you can insure more than one goods card". This would be true no matter how many cards you discard. So again... nothing conclusive here.

Red Highlight : This is the part of the rules that was confusing me. I put in bold and italics the muddy wording. This CLEARLY says "a card"... as in singular, and as far as I could see there is no instant in the rules where it said you could in fact discard more than 1 card. In fact all the other mentions in the paragraph are talking about single cards.

This on the other hand is very clear, somehow even looking at this image and knowing to read the text at the top I cam still having some trouble remembering to read the text at the top!

All in all I am satisfied that you can discard more than 1 card, and even cards of different suites.

This is another case of a rule book just being worded a little less clear than it should have been! So thanks for the pointer.

PS - I have a day off work today.. and a little bored.. hence all the post formatting hehe I dig using the highlight idea of TVis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I disagree with your interpretation of your red highlight. It says:

"To insure a good, a player must discard a card..."

You are focussing on the singular card, but the reason it doesn't say cards plural here is that you will only ever discard one card to insure a goods card (you may insure more than one goods card with a single discard, but never the other way around).

This, together with the text in your green highlight makes it clear to me. And the (very useful!) illustrated example in the image supports this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Orange Highlight :

Greenish Highlight :

Red Highlight :

Some people simply don't read the rules and go astray. I might be misled by the detail of that explanation but at a different extreme I fear you might be giving yourself unnecessary grief by reading them too closely, taking individual sentences in isolation rather than reviewing and relating them together in their larger context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.