$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 122

7,322 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Excessive creativity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after spending most of the day working on various different projects, I suddenly realised. "Oh, it's one in the morning, why am I still awake." But I think "hey, I got a lot of work done today so that's not too bad."
The problem is, I can't stop thinking of more and more things I want to do. So even though I did a lot, it was spread out over so many things that I actually achieved very little.
I've got projects in a host of different hobbies from boardgames to stories, and poetry to building furniture, even a little bit of sketching, each one of those requiring lots of time.
So before I get distracted by yet another creative endeavour I wanted to ask, do any of you have the same problem? And if so, how do you manage your excessive creativity?

Edit: fixing mistakes caused by lack of sleep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuirseach wrote:
So after spending most of the day working on various different projects, I suddenly realised. Oh, it's one in the morning, why am I still awake. But I think hey, I got a lot of work done today.
The problem is, I can't stop thinking of more and more things I want to do. So even though I did a lot, it was spread out over so many things that I actually achieved very little.
I've got projects in a host of different hobbies from boardgames to stories, and poetry to furniture, each one requiring lots of time, even a little bit of sketching.
So before I get distracted by another creative endeavoureview I wanted to ask, do any of you have the same problem? And if so, how do you manage your excessive creativity?


I don't. I just have notebooks handy to write down stuff as I think of it. Work and life do enough to keep me on task, but yes, I know plenty of days where LOTS happened and many little projects were done, but overall progress on any ONE thing was minimal.

Just prioritize and set small goals/targets. Finish a small goal/target before letting yourself wander off on another one.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what Eric said.

Idea/design notebooks and prioritize. I have a few game projects that are years in the works. But hey, it is a hobby not a job (unfortunately).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I hear ya, but have little to offer except commiseration, I'm afraid. I tend to cut into my sleep a bit too often, so I'm a pretty poor model, myself.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that most my ideas are very good in my head and very bad when written down. So notebooks are great.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:

I had this problem. I deal with it by not taking notes or writing the ideas down. The good ideas will stay with you. The not-so-good ideas will fade away. It makes for a good filter. Then just work on the ideas that stay and stand out at the front of your brain.
Another thing is to finish projects before you begin new ones.

The problem with finishing projects before starting new ones is that the new ones always seem so much more exciting laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
I find that most my ideas are very good in my head and very bad when written down. So notebooks are great.


Fair point. Another thing, that doesn't affect boardgames projects so much but is definitely an issue with a game table I'm building, is that ideas are great in my head and expensive on paper.

The one issue I have with notebooks though is that I fill so many of them that I just end up with stacks of them with lots and lots of ideas buried within
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is extra value in writing it down, because it may help your brain calm down so you can sleep.

There is some research that the brain wants to "file" everything, so it can move on to the next task. Dreams may even be a way of the brain filing random thoughts and feelings from the day, that it couldn't do earlier. Writing things down helps your brain think the idea is done, so it can move on.

For many, this clean slate helps them fall asleep faster, so they are more rested, energized, focused and can concentrate better. It's that energy during the next day that is needed to push through the difficult and/or find ways to may expensive things affordable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuirseach wrote:
adamw wrote:
I find that most my ideas are very good in my head and very bad when written down. So notebooks are great.


Fair point. Another thing, that doesn't affect boardgames projects so much but is definitely an issue with a game table I'm building, is that ideas are great in my head and expensive on paper.

I don't understand - why does it cost to write it down? Or do you mean that when you actually write it down you realise how expensive it will be to do...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Tuirseach wrote:
adamw wrote:
I find that most my ideas are very good in my head and very bad when written down. So notebooks are great.


Fair point. Another thing, that doesn't affect boardgames projects so much but is definitely an issue with a game table I'm building, is that ideas are great in my head and expensive on paper.

I don't understand - why does it cost to write it down? Or do you mean that when you actually write it down you realise how expensive it will be to do...?


Yep, realising how expensive it will be to do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.