Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm interested in this game (as a solo player only) but it seems that the third edition has some issues and that it is not really about to be delivered anytime soon.

So, can someone tell me what I should get realistically, right now, to have the best and most streamlined experience from this game?

First edition?
Second one?
Which rules version?
Any crucial expansion (for solo play)?

One of my most concern is about the rules.
I don't speak english that well and the easiest the rules the best chances I have to make this game to the table.
I read somewhere that some expansion(s), somehow, make the game easier/better? I have a hard time with that claim. Is it true?

I also read that the 3rd edition rules might be available and are way easier to grasp.
Are they fully usable with the first or second edition of the game?

All in all, what is the best configuration for a solitaire newcomer which wants a cool experience with the easiest rules possible?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Third edition will come out for sure even if Phil produces it himself. If you have the time and patience I would wait for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd Edition is supposed to be the final word, and rewritten in a coherent (not easy, but coherent) fashion. And with the best possible components, a current map etc.

I kickstarted it after grappling with the 2nd Reprint Edition,plus some expansion cards, plus some living rules all played on a Zazzle (3rd party) map and according to the rules/suggestion offered on the Yahoo Group. That was a nightmare, I spent a lot of money and time and got to the point where I felt I could play the game, but was/am positive I was doing some stuff wrong. I strongly recommend you not go down that path.

The problems (plural) with the 3rd Edition are hard to address because we don't have it and the company is either confused themselves about what they are producing, or are incapable of providing a coherent update (which does not bode well for their ability to write coherent rules)

My advice would be to sit on your hands and wait for 3rd Edition, then wait some more for the reviews.

My better advice would be to check out Leaving Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add that in my opinion, High Frontier is little more than a game kit in desperate search of a Developer. Very much remains to be seen if OSS can fulfill that role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks.

I was hesitating between Leaving Earth and High Frontier anyway.

High Frontier seems more "meaty" and the expansions looked like they added some fun aspects to the game while keeping this hard science flavor.

On the other hand, Leaving Earth seems easier to grasp but more of an optimization game with a bit of randomness, enough not to have the game figured out.
I'm afraid it won't be much more than a math puzzle with one or two unknown variables, the only ones that would keep things fresh.

But ok, I will start with this one then and wait and see for HF.

Thanks for your inputs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in this game (as a solo player only) but it seems that the third edition has some issues and that it is not really about to be delivered anytime soon.

So, can someone tell me what I should get realistically, right now, to have the best and most streamlined experience from this game?

First edition?
Second one?
Which rules version?
Any crucial expansion (for solo play)?

One of my most concern is about the rules.
I don't speak english that well and the easiest the rules the best chances I have to make this game to the table.
I read somewhere that some expansion(s), somehow, make the game easier/better? I have a hard time with that claim. Is it true?

I also read that the 3rd edition rules might be available and are way easier to grasp.
Are they fully usable with the first or second edition of the game?

All in all, what is the best configuration for a solitaire newcomer which wants a cool experience with the easiest rules possible?

Thanks!

The problem is trying to track a copy, I saw one being sold on Ebay last month.

Now regarding your questions:

Version:
There was only 1 version with a revised print, that was for the base game.
Also there was an expansion that included the second part of the map of the solar system, but you can purchase an updated map from zazzle that will be the same.

After that you got Colonization the second expansion that it feels like a different game by itself, but you need the components of the base game.

And a solo expansion called Interestellar that you can also print from zazzle, the rules are free from the Sierra Madre website, but you will need both High Frontier and High Frontier Colonization to play.

The living rules you can get them from the Sierra Madre website also.

And to learn the game, honestly I will suggest that you watch the runtrough that Rhado did:

So to end this what you will need:

High Frontier (Base Game) Required
High Frontier Expansion(Expansion) Required
High Frontier Colonization(Second Expansion) "Optional"
High Frontier Interstellar(Solo Expansion) "Optional"

And you really need to get the updated map from zazzle.

As for solo play, you can have a lot of fun solo with just the base game.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorost wrote:

Hope this helps.

It really did, thank you!
This all confirms that I should wait for the third edition and see how it goes.
I'm interested in the game but I'm not sure about how much I would like it (even though I saw the Rahdo Run-through) and I'm not sure I want to invest so much time, effort and money in getting different pieces of a previous version of the game if the third edition is becoming a reality.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
The problems (plural) with the 3rd Edition are hard to address because we don't have it and the company is either confused themselves about what they are producing, or are incapable of providing a coherent update (which does not bode well for their ability to write coherent rules)

My understanding is that OSS/Ares was not contracted as a developer, just to publish the game with the material handed by Phil. Per his last email he still has to send them some Rules Illustrations he will finish in a couple of weeks. I have no idea what their contract obligations are in regards to rules editing.

blockhead wrote:
I'll just add that in my opinion, High Frontier is little more than a game kit in desperate search of a Developer. Very much remains to be seen if OSS can fulfill that role.

Again, AFAIK OSS/Ares is just supposed to publish and sell, not develop the game. The game rules were already rewritten and several playtests conducted before handing over materials to OSS/Ares.

Just managing expectations. The delays with production/formatting/etc are already pretty bad, but Phil was quite adamant in preserving the game art, map art and layout. It's for the best really, don't want to change the look and feel of an established game. I think Phil did that for Greenland and (I could be wrong so I'm sure Phil will smack me if I am) I believe he wasn't totally convinced of the 2nd edition card art he commissioned.

In the end we will get something very similar to 2nd edition but it will already include colonization, with new playmats, the new fuel strip which (IMO) streamlines rockets, the map with the new lander burns to provide symmetric take off and landings and interstellar game module (which previously was only obtainable via Zazzle) upgraded plastic components (there will be both beads and chips for water tanks) the souped up rocket figures (Which some folks like and others hate, I'm in the wait and see camp) and I can't quite remember what else other than the rocket figures now telling you (With their color) what type of fuel you are carrying: dirt (black), water (blue) and yellow (isotope).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Francisco. I backed, and await. And hope to like.

And I damn sure do not want to go tracking down the various pieces to assemble my own kit (thanks Alonso for spelling it out), so 3rd Edition is pretty much it for me, one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
blockhead wrote:

OSS are publishing, not developing the game.

I think most of the play testers would disagree with you - High Frontier 3rd edition is a deep and highly competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

High Frontier seems more "meaty" and the expansions looked like they added some fun aspects to the game while keeping this hard science flavor.

On the other hand, Leaving Earth seems easier to grasp but more of an optimization game with a bit of randomness, enough not to have the game figured out.
I'm afraid it won't be much more than a math puzzle with one or two unknown variables, the only ones that would keep things fresh.

These are accurate impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly. In both games there is aspect of mathematical mission planning in lieu of The Space not forgetting any little mistake. High Frontier is paradoxicallymuch simpler in this matter because of ISRU. Beside of that, let me do this simplified comparision – Leaving Earth is High Frontier base game (withouht Colonization modules) with simpler map. An historical aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
blockhead wrote:

I think most of the play testers would disagree with you - High Frontier 3rd edition is a deep and highly competitive game.

I hope you're right. In fact, I'm pretty sure you are. But I also suspect the play-testers are the guys who've had the patience to assemble their own kit and wade through multiple revisions and have been playing for literally years. And bless you all for that, you have my sincere appreciation. I'm just hoping that the final product will be an accurate and coherent representation of the same game you've been playing. Cause I want to play too, but I can't/won't do the development myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
blockhead wrote:

It is a deep and highly competitive game--that has enough modules and independent sub-parts that "game kit" seems appropriate to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorost wrote:
So to end this what you will need:

High Frontier (Base Game) Required
High Frontier Expansion(Expansion) Required
High Frontier Colonization(Second Expansion) "Optional"
High Frontier Interstellar(Solo Expansion) "Optional"

Colonization contains everything that was in the original expansion with the exception of the original sunspot track and politics diagram, both of which were on the original expansion map. However, I believe there is a PDF in the files are that has those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius van der Merwe
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorost wrote:
[q="baylock"]

The problem is trying to track a copy, I saw one being sold on Ebay last month.

I have an extra copy of the 2nd edition base game for trade (or maybe sale), if anyone has trouble tracking down a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.