Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerrit Faber
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have been playing this game wrong. I thought that once a pirate was in the boat that it could not leave.

This does not seem to be the case in a video that I just saw with a newer version of the game. The version that I have is by Rio Grande or Winning Moves and contains a boat, six tunnel tiles, six pirate meeples in each of five colours, and cards (multiples of bottle, pistol, flag with skull and cross bones, three corner hat, sword/dagger, keys and one of an arrow card).

Please comment and confirm if pirates are allowed off the boat. If so I have been playing this game wrong for years.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to move backwards in order to gain cards, even from the boat. You apparently have been playing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Having played a million games online, I can say that moving a pirate backwards off the boat is bad. If that's you're best move, you're almost certainly done for. I can imagine an exotic situation where you do this for two cards and then get both your last pirates off the board to win, but that's pretty hypothetical.

You can do it, but if you have to you played yourself into a corner from which victory is unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fabergb wrote:
The version that I have is by Rio Grande or Winning Moves ...

Those prior versions are completely silent on the issue of reversing from the boat. The current Ravensburger rules introduce the concept in a special "Notes" segment following the main body of the rules.

* Pirates that are already on board the boat may also be moved backward, just like the other pirates.

I for one had no reason to doubt that earlier absence of discussion of what surely seemed a special case simply meant the action was not intended.

In a similar vein at the other end of the board, I never thought it proper move backward off the board to the starting point even though a prohibition of this was not spelled out. The Ravensburger rules now make it plain by adding another item in the "Notes" section

* You are never allowed to move back to the Meeting Place!

So personally I accept the second one here and reject the first while understanding that others may play how they wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Having played a million games online, I can say that moving a pirate backwards off the boat is bad. If that's you're best move, you're almost certainly done for. I can imagine an exotic situation where you do this for two cards and then get both your last pirates off the board to win, but that's pretty hypothetical.

You can do it, but if you have to you played yourself into a corner from which victory is unlikely.

I agree with this.

On the original topic, it was not addressed in the original rules as noted, and the first time I remember seeing it was in the rules for Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest. After seeing it addressed there, I assumed it was allowed in the original, but never seriously considered making that move as there were generally other better moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jentinma wrote:
On the original topic, it was not addressed in the original rules as noted, and the first time I remember seeing it was in the rules for Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest. After seeing it addressed there, I assumed it was allowed in the original ...

I'm afraid I don't see how the original topic of moving off the boat is a transferrable concept between the two games. In this one the boat is simply a terminus - the end of the path. In the other one the boat serves to transport pawns between two path segments, so of course they move off the boat to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.