Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It is risky to send a full squad onto a card with a PC.

But you cannot move a fire team by itself there, right?

Can you detach a fire team, then convert it to an assault team?

The assault team can then scout out a card with a PC, right?

US fire teams, small arms and close range, convert to US assault teams, automatic weapons and point blank range.

Am I on the right track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, you have a good idea, but it can be smoother by directly creating an assault team.

Use "4.2.3.g. Detach Team" to create an assault team from your 3-step squad. You don't need go through the step of creating and converting a fire team.

Yes, you are correct the fire team cannot go into "new" cards, so you definitely want the assault team.

Order the assault team to scout ahead (using "4.2.2.a. Move to an
Adjacent Card").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks.

The assault team can move and has better weapons.

But less range.

Seems like I get better handle on at least 1 rule per turn played!

I have played alot of turns too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Prodi
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Assault Team is nice but unfortunately (unlike the Fire Team) , as a combat action, is unable to spot .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using assault teams to trip the PCs is certainly the #1 key technique to use to start playing the game well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, assault teams make great scouts in terms of contacting the enemy but are unable to spot and very unlikely to be able to return or open fire themselves due to range. I do think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have lots of other guys available to spot so that's not really a big deal.

If they end up tripping a minefield or some sort of OBA you have just potentially saved a whole lot of your men from dying.

If they end up tripping a MG or some other infantry further ahead, you can now plan how you want to approach it and set-up the attack with your big squads and support weapons. You probably won't be able to deal with it right away, so returning fire is also not such a big deal. Your squads can now move into the card with the assault team scout or avoid it completely if it is safer.

You're trading off time for safety when you scout with assault teams - I don't think the other issues mentioned even come close to approaching "time" in importance as a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePrody wrote:
The Assault Team is nice but unfortunately (unlike the Fire Team) , as a combat action, is unable to spot .

I recall that being why I gave up on this tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franklin
msg tools
peterk1 wrote:
Using assault teams to trip the PCs is certainly the #1 key technique to use to start playing the game well.

+1. The only downside is the additional time it takes, which can push out your success if you've been unlucky with the action draws. But the benefit of reduced casualties and locking in the enemy PDF far outweigh the time taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the terrain. Ultimately, you need to find a way to spot the enemy before you can deal with them. In close terrain, sending in assault teams may not help you get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sometimes you can risk a squad and other times it's just sending your cardboard men to their certain doom. It usually depends on the cover in the card I'm moving to and the current contact level. If the contact level is engaged or better, I'm more likely to risk something since there is a lower likelihood of generating a contact. And the cover on a card includes it's terrain cover modifier as well as pre-existing cover and/or the likelihood of successfully finding cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks all!

I did not realize assault teams cannot spot!

Maybe I am picking up 2 rules per turn played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^I think I probably messed that up when I played too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been playing FoF from the year that was originally published and I rarely use this technique. Its drawbacks over weight its pros. I use it only when the terrain is open but even in these situations, I prefer to pass and then flank it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Not sure I follow.

On first turn, no enemy out yet, what do you move into a new card with an unresolved PC?

a full squad
a fire team
an assault team

and are there other choices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:

Not sure I follow.

On first turn, no enemy out yet, what do you move into a new card with an unresolved PC?

a full squad
a fire team
an assault team

and are there other choices?

A Fire Team isn't a choice, because they can move only to a friendly occupied card that has no VOF, or a staging area card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Right! Doh!

Each turn, learn a new rule, and relearn an old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:

As for my initial movement in a mission, like some others said, largely depends of the campaign, the mission, and the cover of the initial terrain.
But to put an example in Normandy, I like to make (if the command points allow me) something like this:

1- Activate 1st and 2nd PLT HQ (Arrows with purple colour)

2- Detach an Assault Team, and move forward the two-step squad and the Assault Team (Arrows with green and blue colour)
2a- If you don't have sufficient commands points use your Co Xo or 1st SGT, but never Initiative points

3- Use your Initiative Points to find cover at least for the two-step squads.

So.. with this tactic:

- I *will* find some contact, and push up the contact level.
I like to stay Engaged (at minimum), so I can push my men to the Objective. While you are Engaged (or Heavily Engaged), there are less possibilities of make more Contacts.
It's likely that some PC Marker don’t made a Contact, so that Terrain card will be your point of entry for the rest of your men.

- My two-step squads can fire (or spot) all the six front cards (Arrows with red colour), and they can cover my Assault Teams. And if I'm lucky, they settle in a cover marker

- In the next turn you can push your Assaults Teams to the enemy if no one is shooting to them, or maybe push forward to another Terrain Card; so you have flexibility to adapt

- You only put in danger two full Squads of different PLT HQs.
For some this is unacceptable... but I'm a little ruthless commander, specially after playing Nam's Campaign zombiearrrh

(sorry for my rusty English and any grammatical errors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is pretty ruthless Juno!

I very rarely send an entire platoon into potential contact, it can be devastating. I go with squads or assault teams depending on what the situation is. I favour assault teams over squads but when I do use squads I tend to move them forward as Juno does, with two-step squad the assault team came from taking the place of Juno's platoons.

Edit: Actually looking more closely at the picture Juno does the same as me, those guys out on the flanks are two-step squads while the rest of the platoons stay in staging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Yeah, that is pretty ruthless Juno!

I very rarely send an entire platoon into potential contact, it can be devastating. I go with squads or assault teams depending on what the situation is. I favour assault teams over squads but when I do use squads I tend to move them forward as Juno does, with two-step squad the assault team came from taking the place of Juno's platoons.

Edit: Actually looking more closely at the picture Juno does the same as me, those guys out on the flanks are two-step squads while the rest of the platoons stay in staging.

Ooops, sorry... yeah I mean squads
I'm gonna edit the post to make it clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.