Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Do people use Phenomenons for Research in their games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've been noticing is a lot of batreps or session reviews say they hardly research any Advancements.

Are people finding hazards too difficult to deal with in the early game? Is it not worth building a research fleet, or are there better fleets to build?

A typical Advancement can take 4 turns to get out, but by adding a token from a phenomenon, you can cut that down to two turns.

I'd like to think that Advancements are just as important as shields or weapons, but I'm getting the vibe it is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Migliore
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
In my last game I managed to win a supremacy victory with the Romulans by farming two phenomenons that ended up near Romulus. Farming those phenomenons freed me from having to try to find planets where I could build resource nodes and allowed me to finish, almost, one advancement every turn. I was fortunate enough that one of them was Advanced Cloaking and then a veritable cornucopia of extra warp allowed me free reign of most of the map. I didn't touch my shield advancements and only bumped my weapons up once. In the process of farming I think I lost 2 Science Fleets. I also had a mining fleet sitting on one of the phenomenon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

How many advancements did you ending up researching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phenomenon research is a must, it adds a big potential of research tokens and definitely speeds up researching advancements as they circumvent the 1 research token per turn limit.

you do need 1-2 shield upgrades to be safe of most phenomenons, the feds have an advantage here if they get the tech for +1 shields vs hazards.

the science fleet definitely lowers your chance to lose ships as only one of the ships is at risk, and you can use the fleet to hop over several phenomenon (depending their location and your commands) in a turn.

otherwise, using odd ships here and there is also good.

the romulans can use the phenomenons to add a few unexpected culture tokens in the endgame from their techs which may give them the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, players harvest them in every game I've played so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragoonTM wrote:
In my last game I managed to win a supremacy victory with the Romulans by farming two phenomenons that ended up near Romulus. Farming those phenomenons freed me from having to try to find planets where I could build resource nodes and allowed me to finish, almost, one advancement every turn. I was fortunate enough that one of them was Advanced Cloaking and then a veritable cornucopia of extra warp allowed me free reign of most of the map. I didn't touch my shield advancements and only bumped my weapons up once. In the process of farming I think I lost 2 Science Fleets. I also had a mining fleet sitting on one of the phenomenon.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the rules, but I'm still not seeing how you could do this without building research nodes. My understanding is that you can only have one research project in play per research node you control and, further, you can only put one research token on each project during the building phase. Finishing one advancement per turn would still require you to have the research nodes to support multiple projects.

With respect to the OP, the above (assuming my rules interpretations are correct) might explain why research farming isn't a big strategy. The research produced by a research node is most likely going to be placed on the research project being supported by that node. Research that you gain from phenomenon can only be spent to upgrade weapons/shields. So its probably great if you want play a conquest strategy, but if you are hoping to turtle and win by culture, those extra research tokens don't really help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rule you probably missed is that, when you collect research from a phenomenon, you can place it directly on an advancement, circumventing the normal limit of one research per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, yes. That would speed things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Migliore
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
DragoonTM wrote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding the rules, but I'm still not seeing how you could do this without building research nodes. My understanding is that you can only have one research project in play per research node you control and, further, you can only put one research token on each project during the building phase. Finishing one advancement per turn would still require you to have the research nodes to support multiple projects.

With respect to the OP, the above (assuming my rules interpretations are correct) might explain why research farming isn't a big strategy. The research produced by a research node is most likely going to be placed on the research project being supported by that node. Research that you gain from phenomenon can only be spent to upgrade weapons/shields. So its probably great if you want play a conquest strategy, but if you are hoping to turtle and win by culture, those extra research tokens don't really help you.

I had two research nodes and two phenomenon harvest sites, this allowed me to maintain two projects and push three research to a project each turn. So a single turn would involve me putting one research on each project during the Build phase, then two research to a single project during the command phase. On the very next turn, assuming they are 4 research advancements, I could reverse where I placed my research and get two advancements completed. Then spend a command to get more advancements on the table to start the process over again. It didn't always work as perfectly as my example, but I think you get the gist of it. Bottom line though, is that I was incredibly fortunate with phenomenon placement and their respective hazard levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Migliore
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
R2EQ wrote:
Cool!

How many advancements did you ending up researching?

I don't remember exactly but it somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 or 7. I was incredibly fortunate, especially considering how quickly Advanced Cloak came up. Once this was researched I had free reign of the board, much to the dismay of my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.