Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 2 games yesterday and the aliens won both of them almost as fast as possible, in less than 15 turns each.

Any hints on how to play humans well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
Playing as the humans can be really tricky! It might seem counter-intuitive, but doubling back a lot (especially in/onto silent sectors) is a good way of throwing off the scent. Making good use of character powers and item cards can also help a lot.

However, personally, the more you can do to seem like an alien, the better. This is less to do with your actual moves (but staying in silent sectors will emphasize this impression), and more with how you react to what other people announce. If you can convince human players that they want to avoid you, that probably means the aliens will try less hard to chase you. (Note that pretending to be a human whilst being an alien can also really work... unless another alien finds and kills you)

I'd also recommend playing the bigger maps (depending on player counts) - they tend to give the humans a little more leeway.

Hopefully that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player roles and items are critical in giving the humans a chance. I agree that the game heavily favors the Aliens, but I don't see that as a bad thing (yet). We've played about 5 or 6 games and not one human has even made it to an escape-pod yet.

When it comes to your character abilities and items, my recommendation is to use those abilities/items as soon as they are useful. Saving them can put you in a position where it becomes too late for them to be effective. If you have a chance to avoid revealing your location, use it! The longer you can go without giving away any details about your position, the better. And since the game relies heavily on luck (drawing a Green/White card instead of a Red), you really have to maximize your chances of not giving away information.

If the game were too easy for the humans it would lose it's tension and thrill, IMHO. Despite the fact that the humans have yet to win (in our games), we find the game continually thrilling because of how tricky it is for the humans; especially when you're the last one being hunted by 6 or 7 Aliens. Tense but fun!

That being said, if your experience is reducing your enjoyment of the game, feel free to alter some rules to make it a bit easier for the humans. Maybe start with more humans than Aliens. Maybe give the Humans character abilities but disallow it for the Aliens. Maybe start with only 1 Alien. This creates an interesting scenario where there are almost certainly not enough escape pods for the humans, so it becomes a race for the humans and a challenge for the Alien to see how many they can "eat" before the game ends.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure there are other strategies that give the Humans a greater edge. Looking forward to hearing those from other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I thought of was for the human that becomes an alien to try for the other human to win by fighting the other aliens. I am not sure if this is allowed or in the spirit of the game, however. Once it becomes 3 against 1 in a 4 player game, it seems very tough.

And with an escape pod perhaps not working, that seems to make it even harder.

As we were all novices in Ultimate edition, we skipped the character abilities and played on the first map, both of which were what the rules said to do as novices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why you are playing the human becomes an alien, that's also an advanced variant, and would make the game nigh impossible for the humans, especially novices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not notice that when first reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
Not sure why you are playing the human becomes an alien, that's also an advanced variant, and would make the game nigh impossible for the humans, especially novices.

In the Ultimate Edition, that dead humans become aliens is the standard rule. You can of course choose to play without this rule, but it's not considered a variant in this edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filip_FH wrote:
georgeofjungle3 wrote:

In the Ultimate Edition, that dead humans become aliens is the standard rule. You can of course choose to play without this rule, but it's not considered a variant in this edition.

Huh, I hadn't really read them that closely already knowing how to play. That's a really sketch thing to do, because as has been said the game is hard enough without that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.